|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who brings Lakshmi rice when she is brought to live with the other girls in "What is Normal"?
2. Whom does the tea vendor cheat out of her change if she's not paying attention, according to Lakshmi in "The Street Boy"?
3. Who takes Lakshmi's virginity at the Happiness House?
4. Who runs from the room sobbing as Pushpa prepares to leave Happiness House in "A Word Too Small"?
5. What possessions does Pushpa put in Harish's trunk when they prepare to leave Happiness House in "A Word Too Small"?
(a) A bag of money.
(b) A doll and her clothing.
(c) A notebook, a dress, and her makeup.
(d) A hairbrush, a sweater, and a photo of her husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Shahanna say Mumtaz charges the girls for their daily rice and dal?
2. In "Don't Cross the Cook," Lakshmi says she learned a new Hindi phrase today which is "Don't cross the cook or she will" do what?
3. When Shahanna is teaching Lakshmi tricks with her shawl in "Everything I Need to Know Now," what does she say to do in order to bring the shy men to her bed?
4. What is the name of the girl that Lakshmi describes as "the aging bird girl" at Happiness House?
5. What color dress is the new girl wearing in "New Girl"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Monica describe her "accomplishments" at Happiness House in "Understanding Monica"?
2. How does Shahanna respond when Lakshmi tells her about her encounter with the American?
3. What deal does Mumtaz make with Pushpa in Section 4? What becomes of Pushpa?
4. How does Lakshmi describe her feelings regarding Pushpa's son in "An Ordinary Boy"?
5. How are children perceived at Happiness House? How many of the prostitutes have children?
6. How is Lakshmi's new room described in "In My New Room"? With whom does she share the room?
7. What is referred to in the title of "A Small Danger"? What does Lakshmi do with this danger?
8. How does Harish describe Americans to Lakshmi in "A Strange Vocabulary"?
9. Why is Lakshmi relocated to a different room at Happiness House in "Changes"?
10. What happens after Lakshmi has been starved and given no water for five days at Happiness House?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)