|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What caused the girl with the half-frowning face to look as she does?
(a) She had a stroke.
(b) She fell down stairs.
(c) She had a brain aneurism.
(d) She was beaten with a metal pipe.
2. How much money does Shahanna say Mumtaz charges the girls for weekly rent for their bed and pillow in "Mathematics"?
(a) 100 rupees.
(b) 50 rupees.
(c) 200 rupees.
(d) 40 rupees.
3. What is the name of the half-frowning girl at Happiness House?
4. Who informs Lakshmi that Monica is gone in "No Remedy"?
5. What are the four "American words" that Lakshmi has learned in "A Strange Vocabulary"?
(a) Big Bird, Elmo, ice cream, and soccer.
(b) Footprints, water, air, and fire.
(c) Dog, cat, rooster, and train-tracks.
(d) Rice, tomatoes, watermelon, and lilac.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many girls does Lakshmi share a room with in "In My New Room"?
2. What does the boy in the David Beckham t-shirt grab and run off with as the girls put on their makeup in "Meeting the David Beckham Boy"?
3. Who is the coughing woman that shares a room with Lakshmi at Happiness House?
4. What does Monica leave for Lakshmi when she leaves Happiness House?
5. What does Shahanna give to Lakshmi to help protect her against disease?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the repercussions when Lakshmi becomes ill in "The Cost of a Cure"?
2. How does Harish describe Americans to Lakshmi in "A Strange Vocabulary"?
3. Why does Monica return to Happiness House? What does she relate of her experiences while she was gone?
4. How is Lakshmi's situation explained to her by Shahanna in "Everything I Need to Know Now"?
5. What deal does Mumtaz make with Pushpa in Section 4? What becomes of Pushpa?
6. How does Lakshmi's relationship with Harish develop in Section 3?
7. How is Lakshmi's new room described in "In My New Room"? With whom does she share the room?
8. What causes Lakshmi to become injured in her first days at Happiness House?
9. What is referred to in the title of "A Small Danger"? What does Lakshmi do with this danger?
10. What gifts do Lakshmi and Harish exchange during the Festival of Brothers and Sisters?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)