|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the older boys call the David Beckham boy's mother when they taunt him in "No Ordinary Boy, After All"?
(a) A monster.
(b) A cretin.
(c) A corpse.
(d) A whore.
2. What number is on the boy's David Beckham shirt?
3. Where does the David Beckham boy keep his belongings?
(a) In a locker at school.
(b) In a tin trunk under his bed.
(c) In a duffel bag in the corner.
(d) In a leather sack under his bed.
4. What is the name of the half-frowning girl at Happiness House?
5. Who takes Lakshmi's virginity at the Happiness House?
Short Answer Questions
1. For how many days has Pushpa been ill in bed in the beginning of "Beyond Words"?
2. What is Shahanna doing when the raid occurs in "Raid"?
3. What does Lakshmi see Mumtaz doing with the policeman in "Police"?
4. When Shahanna is teaching Lakshmi tricks with her shawl in "Everything I Need to Know Now," what does she say to do in order to bring the shy men to her bed?
5. What possessions does Pushpa put in Harish's trunk when they prepare to leave Happiness House in "A Word Too Small"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Lakshmi's new room described in "In My New Room"? With whom does she share the room?
2. How are children perceived at Happiness House? How many of the prostitutes have children?
3. How is Lakshmi's situation explained to her by Shahanna in "Everything I Need to Know Now"?
4. How has Lakshmi's self-image changed in Section 4? How does she compare herself to the other girls at Happiness House?
5. What financial figures does Lakshmi calculate regarding her income at Happiness House in "Mathematics"?
6. How does Lakshmi describe her perceptions of herself in "Am I Pretty?"
7. How do the girls at Happiness House react to Shahanna's disappearance in Section 4?
8. How is Western culture presented in Section 3? How do the characters in the story perceive Western culture?
9. How does Shahanna respond when Lakshmi tells her about her encounter with the American?
10. What deal does Mumtaz make with Pushpa in Section 4? What becomes of Pushpa?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)