|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the boy that Lakshmi says she is promised to marry in "Before Gita Left"?
2. How does Lakshmi describe the amount of money that the turnip-nosed man gives to Auntie in "Numbers"?
(a) "Nearly enough money to buy a tin roof."
(b) "Nearly enough money to buy a car."
(c) "Nearly enough money to buy a Coca-Cola."
(d) "Nearly enough money to buy a water buffalo."
3. What word from "A Trade" means favorable or conducive to success?
4. What name has Lakshmi given to "the ugly one" among her cucumbers in "Confession"?
5. What price is ultimately agreed upon for Lakshmi in "A Trade"?
(a) 1,000 rupess.
(b) 800 rupees.
(c) 200 rupees.
(d) 500 rupees.
6. How much money does Lakshmi's stepfather ask for Lakshmi when he sells her at Bajai Sita's store in "A Trade"?
(a) 1,000 rupees.
(b) 850 rupees.
(c) 500 rupees.
(d) 2,000 rupees.
7. What are "the carts with chicken and sheep in the back" called, according to Lakshmi in "On the Bus"?
8. Who is the last person from Lakshmi's village that she sees as she leaves with Auntie in "A Trade"?
9. Where does Lakshmi go for her period of confinement after her first menstruation?
(a) The basement.
(b) The church.
(c) The attic.
(d) The goat shed.
10. What game does Lakshmi describe playing with Gita in "Before Gita Left"?
(a) "The running around the barn game."
(b) The game of Spin the Bottle.
(c) "The American football game."
(d) "The hopping-on-one-leg game."
11. What does Lakshmi's mother do as she serves her husband dinner each night in "Something Beautiful"?
(a) She bathes the baby.
(b) She feeds the baby.
(c) She walks the dog.
(d) She kneels at his feet.
12. What color does Lakshmi describe her mother's hair as in "Something Beautiful"?
(a) "Dark auburn."
(c) "Silvery gray."
13. In what country does Lakshmi live with her mother and stepfather?
(b) Happiness House.
14. Lakshmi says in Section 1 that her stepfather looks at her the same way he looks at what vegetables growing in front of their hut?
15. What does the bus smell like, according to Lakshmi in "On the Bus"?
(a) "Stale bread and old shoes."
(b) "Pipe smoke and incense."
(c) "Onions and curry and cigarette smoke."
(d) "Rotting meat and garbage."
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does Lakshmi describe Gita's mother having purchased after Gita went to work as a maid in the city?
2. What question is Lakshmi asked by the border guard in "Crossing the Border"?
3. How old does Lakshmi describe her mother as in "Another Calendar"?
4. What does Lakshmi do in order to escape the old man who attempts to rape her after she's first arrived at Happiness House?
5. What does Lakshmi describe all the houses having like the one in Gita's hut in "Train"?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)