|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does Lakshmi's stepfather ask for Lakshmi when he sells her at Bajai Sita's store in "A Trade"?
(a) 2,000 rupees.
(b) 850 rupees.
(c) 500 rupees.
(d) 1,000 rupees.
2. What food does Uncle Husband get for Lakshmi during a stop on the train?
(a) A bowl of rice.
(b) A roti.
(c) An apple.
(d) A mango.
3. What disability does Lakshmi describe her stepfather having in "The Difference Between a Son and a Daughter"?
(a) He has a lame leg.
(b) He is deaf.
(c) He has a lame arm.
(d) He is blind.
4. What does Uncle Husband give to Lakshmi after they have crossed the border in "A Reward"?
(a) 50 rupees.
(b) A handful of sweets.
(c) 100 rupees.
(d) A new dress.
5. What does Lakshmi's stepfather carry as he walks with her to Bajai Sita's store in "A Trade"?
(a) An empty firewood basket.
(b) A diamond ring.
(c) A cup of tea.
(d) A bag of rice.
6. What name has Lakshmi given to the cucumber that she refers to as "the gnarled grandmother of the group" in "Confession"?
7. What color does Lakshmi describe the huts of her village in "Something Beautiful"?
8. How old is Lakshmi in the beginning of the novel?
9. Through how many villages does Lakshmi say she has traveled with Auntie in the beginning of "A New World"?
10. In "Announcing the Dry Season," the narrator says, "The wind that blows up from the plains is called" what?
(a) "The katana."
(b) "The mortar."
(c) "The amari."
(d) "The loo."
11. What does Mumtaz beat Lakshmi with for three days in "Three Days and Three Nights"?
(a) A twig from a willow tree.
(b) A metal pipe.
(c) A wooden board.
(d) A leather strap.
12. Who is the last person from Lakshmi's village that she sees as she leaves with Auntie in "A Trade"?
13. What name has Lakshmi given to "the ugly one" among her cucumbers in "Confession"?
14. Which of Lakshmi's cucumbers is shaped like a snake, according to the narrator in "Confession"?
15. How does Lakshmi's mother denote the years of how old she and Lakshmi are in "Another Calendar"?
(a) By notches on her headboard.
(b) By marks on her belt.
(c) By a wall-calendar.
(d) By marks on her wedding trunk.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color does Lakshmi describe her mother's skin as in "Something Beautiful"?
2. What does Lakshmi describe on the posters in "In This Room"?
3. In "Seeing a Girl with a Long Black Braid," the narrator says, "There are a thousand girls in the city. But so far, none of them is" whom?
4. Who is the boy that Lakshmi says she is promised to marry in "Before Gita Left"?
5. What does Auntie do to make Lakshmi keep walking ahead in "Moving Forward"?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)