|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of alcoholic beverage do the men of Lakshmi's village drink during the festivals?
(a) Palm wine.
(b) Plum wine.
(c) Rice beer.
2. What color is the dress that Auntie gives to Lakshmi in "New Clothes"?
3. For how long have Auntie and Lakshmi been walking in the beginning of "Questions and Answers"?
(a) 4 days.
(b) 5 and 1/2 days.
(c) 2 and 1/2 days.
(d) 1 and 1/2 days.
4. What does the bus do when it encounters a cow sleeping in the middle of the road in "On the Bus"?
(a) It runs over her.
(b) It honks.
(c) It stops and waits.
(d) It goes around her.
5. What disability does Lakshmi describe her stepfather having in "The Difference Between a Son and a Daughter"?
(a) He has a lame leg.
(b) He has a lame arm.
(c) He is deaf.
(d) He is blind.
6. Who is Lakshmi's friend who has gone to work as a maid in the city to support her family?
7. What has been done to the woman that Uncle Husband says has been punished for running away from her husband in "Disgraced"?
(a) She has been imprisoned.
(b) She has been hanged.
(c) She has been raped.
(d) Her head has been shaved.
8. What name has Lakshmi given to "the ugly one" among her cucumbers in "Confession"?
9. In "Seeing a Girl with a Long Black Braid," the narrator says, "There are a thousand girls in the city. But so far, none of them is" whom?
10. What type of agriculture is grown around Lakshmi's village?
11. What item does Lakshmi describe Gita's father having purchased since Gita went to work as a maid in the city?
(a) A new horse.
(b) A new pair of spectacles.
(c) A new goat.
(d) A new pair of trousers.
12. Where does Lakshmi go for her period of confinement after her first menstruation?
(a) The basement.
(b) The church.
(c) The attic.
(d) The goat shed.
13. How does Lakshmi's mother denote the years of how old she and Lakshmi are in "Another Calendar"?
(a) By marks on her wedding trunk.
(b) By marks on her belt.
(c) By a wall-calendar.
(d) By notches on her headboard.
14. Until what age does Lakshmi's mother tell her to feed a son at her breast if she should have one in "Everything I Need to Know"?
(a) Until the age of 2.
(b) Until the age of 6.
(c) Until the age of 3.
(d) Until the age of 4.
15. What does Mumtaz do to coerce Lakshmi into being with men after beating her for three days?
(a) She cuts her.
(b) She beats another girl.
(c) She starves her.
(d) She threatens to kill her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of roof does Lakshmi's family have on their hut in the beginning of the novel?
2. What does Uncle Husband give to Lakshmi after they have crossed the border in "A Reward"?
3. Lakshmi's village is amidst what mountain range?
4. What does Lakshmi describe brushing her teeth with in "The New Student"?
5. What does Lakshmi describe rubbing for good luck in "Before Gita Left"?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)