|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the occupation of the boy that Lakshmi is promised to marry in "Before Gita Left"?
(a) He is a goatherd.
(b) He is a tin-smith.
(c) He is a butler.
(d) He is a tea peddler.
2. What color does Lakshmi describe her mother's skin as in "Something Beautiful"?
3. What item does Lakshmi describe Gita's father having purchased since Gita went to work as a maid in the city?
(a) A new pair of spectacles.
(b) A new goat.
(c) A new horse.
(d) A new pair of trousers.
4. What does Lakshmi describe all the houses having like the one in Gita's hut in "Train"?
(a) Picket fences.
(b) White doors.
(c) Glass suns.
(d) Tin roofs.
5. Until what age does Lakshmi's mother tell her to feed a son at her breast if she should have one in "Everything I Need to Know"?
(a) Until the age of 6.
(b) Until the age of 2.
(c) Until the age of 3.
(d) Until the age of 4.
6. What has been purchased for Gita's little brother since she went to work as a maid in the city?
(a) A new coat.
(b) A horse.
(c) A goat.
(d) His school fees.
7. What food does Uncle Husband get for Lakshmi during a stop on the train?
(a) A bowl of rice.
(b) A roti.
(c) An apple.
(d) A mango.
8. What kind of alcoholic beverage do the men of Lakshmi's village drink during the festivals?
(a) Palm wine.
(b) Plum wine.
(c) Rice beer.
9. Why do the women of Lakshmi's village drink the blue-black juice from the marking tree?
(a) To prevent HIV.
(b) To induce miscarriages.
(c) To prevent coughing disease.
(d) To prevent miscarriages.
10. What color dress does the woman wear that purchases Lakshmi at Bajai Sita's store in "A Trade"?
11. What word from "A Trade" means favorable or conducive to success?
12. Lakshmi says in Section 1 that her stepfather looks at her the same way he looks at what vegetables growing in front of their hut?
13. What does Lakshmi scrub the floors with at her hut to keep it cool and "free from evil spirits" in "The New Student"?
(d) Dung water.
14. What color does Lakshmi describe the huts of her village in "Something Beautiful"?
15. What color is the dress that Auntie gives to Lakshmi in "New Clothes"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the bus smell like, according to Lakshmi in "On the Bus"?
2. What item has Gita's older sister gained since Gita went to work as a maid in the city?
3. What color does Lakshmi describe her mother's hair as in "Something Beautiful"?
4. What is Auntie Mumtaz wearing when Lakshmi first meets her in "Ten Thousand Rupees"?
5. What food does Mumtaz pass under Lakshmi's nose in "What I Don't Do"?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)