|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old does Lakshmi describe her mother as in "Another Calendar"?
2. What does Lakshmi describe on the posters in "In This Room"?
(a) Gods and movie stars.
(c) Mammals and birds.
(d) Monsters and ghosts.
3. What does Lakshmi scrub the floors with at her hut to keep it cool and "free from evil spirits" in "The New Student"?
(c) Dung water.
4. What question is Lakshmi asked by the border guard in "Crossing the Border"?
(a) "Is this man your father?"
(b) "How old are you?"
(c) "Is this man your husband?"
(d) "Where is your father?"
5. What item has Gita's older sister gained since Gita went to work as a maid in the city?
(a) A notebook.
(b) A wedding dress.
(c) A deed to land.
(d) A mirror.
6. What answer does Auntie give to the turnip-nosed man when he asks about Lakshmi in "Numbers"?
7. What does Uncle Husband give to Lakshmi after they have crossed the border in "A Reward"?
(a) 50 rupees.
(b) A new dress.
(c) 100 rupees.
(d) A handful of sweets.
8. What kind of alcoholic beverage do the men of Lakshmi's village drink during the festivals?
(a) Plum wine.
(c) Palm wine.
(d) Rice beer.
9. What is the name of the dark-skinned girl that is kind to Lakshmi when she arrives at Happiness House?
10. What name does the turnip-nosed man refer to Auntie as in "Uncle Husband"?
11. What does Lakshmi's stepfather carry as he walks with her to Bajai Sita's store in "A Trade"?
(a) A diamond ring.
(b) An empty firewood basket.
(c) A bag of rice.
(d) A cup of tea.
12. How old is Lakshmi in the beginning of the novel?
13. Who is the boy that Lakshmi says she is promised to marry in "Before Gita Left"?
14. How does Lakshmi describe the amount of money that the turnip-nosed man gives to Auntie in "Numbers"?
(a) "Nearly enough money to buy a water buffalo."
(b) "Nearly enough money to buy a tin roof."
(c) "Nearly enough money to buy a Coca-Cola."
(d) "Nearly enough money to buy a car."
15. Who gave Lakshmi the notebook that she carries in her pack as she makes her way with Auntie?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her teacher.
(d) Her sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the last person from Lakshmi's village that she sees as she leaves with Auntie in "A Trade"?
2. What does Mumtaz do to coerce Lakshmi into being with men after beating her for three days?
3. What is the occupation of the boy that Lakshmi is promised to marry in "Before Gita Left"?
4. What is a daughter compared to in "The Difference Between a Son and a Daughter"?
5. What color does Lakshmi describe her mother's hair as in "Something Beautiful"?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)