|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has been purchased for Gita's little brother since she went to work as a maid in the city?
(a) A horse.
(b) A goat.
(c) A new coat.
(d) His school fees.
2. What does the bus do when it encounters a cow sleeping in the middle of the road in "On the Bus"?
(a) It runs over her.
(b) It honks.
(c) It goes around her.
(d) It stops and waits.
3. How does Lakshmi describe Auntie's teeth in "Questions and Answers"?
(d) Sparkling white.
4. What question is Lakshmi asked by the border guard in "Crossing the Border"?
(a) "Where is your father?"
(b) "Is this man your husband?"
(c) "Is this man your father?"
(d) "How old are you?"
5. What is the name of Lakshmi's black-and-white speckled goat that follows her at home?
6. For how long have Auntie and Lakshmi been walking in the beginning of "Questions and Answers"?
(a) 1 and 1/2 days.
(b) 4 days.
(c) 5 and 1/2 days.
(d) 2 and 1/2 days.
7. What is the name of the dark-skinned girl that is kind to Lakshmi when she arrives at Happiness House?
8. What does Lakshmi's stepfather carry as he walks with her to Bajai Sita's store in "A Trade"?
(a) An empty firewood basket.
(b) A cup of tea.
(c) A bag of rice.
(d) A diamond ring.
9. In "Announcing the Dry Season," the narrator says, "The wind that blows up from the plains is called" what?
(a) "The mortar."
(b) "The katana."
(c) "The amari."
(d) "The loo."
10. Which of Lakshmi's cucumbers is shaped like a snake, according to the narrator in "Confession"?
11. What price is ultimately agreed upon for Lakshmi in "A Trade"?
(a) 500 rupees.
(b) 1,000 rupess.
(c) 800 rupees.
(d) 200 rupees.
12. What item has Gita's older sister gained since Gita went to work as a maid in the city?
(a) A mirror.
(b) A deed to land.
(c) A wedding dress.
(d) A notebook.
13. What color does Lakshmi describe the huts of her village in "Something Beautiful"?
14. Until what age does Lakshmi's mother tell her to feed a son at her breast if she should have one in "Everything I Need to Know"?
(a) Until the age of 4.
(b) Until the age of 2.
(c) Until the age of 6.
(d) Until the age of 3.
15. Where does Lakshmi go for her period of confinement after her first menstruation?
(a) The basement.
(b) The church.
(c) The goat shed.
(d) The attic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does Lakshmi describe Gita's father having purchased since Gita went to work as a maid in the city?
2. What answer does Auntie give to the turnip-nosed man when he asks about Lakshmi in "Numbers"?
3. What type of agriculture is grown around Lakshmi's village?
4. How old is Lakshmi in the beginning of the novel?
5. What does Mumtaz do to coerce Lakshmi into being with men after beating her for three days?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)