|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 1, pp. 1 – 51.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the occupation of the boy that Lakshmi is promised to marry in "Before Gita Left"?
(a) He is a butler.
(b) He is a goatherd.
(c) He is a tea peddler.
(d) He is a tin-smith.
2. What kind of roof does Lakshmi's family have on their hut in the beginning of the novel?
(a) A glass roof.
(b) A thatch roof.
(c) A shingled-roof.
(d) A tin roof.
3. What does Lakshmi scrub the floors with at her hut to keep it cool and "free from evil spirits" in "The New Student"?
(b) Dung water.
4. Until what age does Lakshmi's mother tell her to feed a son at her breast if she should have one in "Everything I Need to Know"?
(a) Until the age of 6.
(b) Until the age of 4.
(c) Until the age of 3.
(d) Until the age of 2.
5. Who is "the elephant god, remover of obstacles"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What item does Lakshmi describe Gita's father having purchased since Gita went to work as a maid in the city?
2. What disability does Lakshmi describe her stepfather having in "The Difference Between a Son and a Daughter"?
3. What does Lakshmi describe brushing her teeth with in "The New Student"?
4. How does Lakshmi's mother denote the years of how old she and Lakshmi are in "Another Calendar"?
5. Who is the boy that Lakshmi says she is promised to marry in "Before Gita Left"?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)