|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kelvin find in his pocket?
2. What does Kelvin look for in the library?
3. What did the biologists at first consider Solaris' ocean?
4. When do the visitors usually come?
5. Who is in Gibarian's room when Kelvin arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the scientists see when the cover falls off Sartorius' video phone?
2. Describe the research station as Kelvin first sees it.
3. What does Snow say that mankind is seeking in outer space?
4. What is Gibarian's reaction to the eerie sound of footsteps echoing through the station?
5. Describe Kelvin's first view of Solaris.
6. Why aren't Berton's experiences related in the Supplement that Gibarian's note directs Kelvin to?
7. Describe the view of Solaris that Kelvin first sees from his room.
8. Why does Kelvin take the Historia Solaris down from the bookshelf?
9. What does Kelvin feel as he goes into his room on the space station?
10. Was Gibarian dead when Snow found him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the genre of the novel Solaris.
1) How does Solaris utilize the science fiction genre? Why does the author choose a space setting, and how does he utilize science and technology to communicate his themes and ideas?
2) In what ways is Solaris a mystery or psychological thriller? What elements of the mystery/thriller genre does the author use?
3) What elements of the horror/ghost story genre does Solaris use? Is the story of Solaris a horrifying one?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Kelvin's character and what Kelvin learns from his experiences on Solaris.
1) Does Kelvin grow and change throughout the story? How does his relationship with Rheya change?
2) Does Kelvin gain a deeper understanding of himself, the ocean, or mankind? If so, what understanding does he gain, and how does he gain it?
3) Why does Kelvin decide to stay on Solaris at the end of the novel? What does he hope to find or achieve on Solaris?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the history of Solaris in the novel, Solarists have had multiple theories about the nature of Solaris' ocean. Discuss the nature of Solaris' ocean.
1) What are various theories that exist about Solaris' ocean, and why are there so many theories?
2) What is the most plausible theory of Solaris' ocean, based on the events and information in the novel?
3) Is it possible to understand the nature of Solaris' ocean?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)