|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Solaris's orbit stable?
2. How does Kelvin recognize Snow?
3. What does Kelvin find underlined in a book?
4. What does Snow have on his hands?
5. What does Kelvin give Rheya?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Kelvin surprised by his greeting when he approaches the research station?
2. What does Snow say that mankind is seeking in outer space?
3. What is Snow's reaction when Kelvin admits that he has had his first visitor?
4. What is Gibarian's reaction to the eerie sound of footsteps echoing through the station?
5. What is Snow's reaction to Kelvin's description of Rheya as a woman he once loved who killed herself?
6. How punctual does Kelvin say he is?
7. What aspect of clothing does Rheya have in common with the apparition Kelvin saw enter Gibarian's room?
8. Why does Kelvin launch the shuttle?
9. What do Rheya's death and Gibarian's death have in common?
10. What reason does Kelvin give for his suggestion about the physical composition of the visitors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At a sub-molecular level, Rheya is not human. Yet, on a normal level, Rheya is indistinguishable from a human being. Discuss Rheya's status as a person.
1) Is it possible that Rheya has no real "thought" process and is merely mimicking the behavior of a sentient creature? How would Kelvin know?
2) Should Rheya be treated as a person, with the rights and privileges of a human being? To what extent is she a person?
3) Could Rheya know if her thought process was fundamentally completely different from others', as long as her actions were human-like, and would it matter?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Kelvin's character and what Kelvin learns from his experiences on Solaris.
1) Does Kelvin grow and change throughout the story? How does his relationship with Rheya change?
2) Does Kelvin gain a deeper understanding of himself, the ocean, or mankind? If so, what understanding does he gain, and how does he gain it?
3) Why does Kelvin decide to stay on Solaris at the end of the novel? What does he hope to find or achieve on Solaris?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the genre of the novel Solaris.
1) How does Solaris utilize the science fiction genre? Why does the author choose a space setting, and how does he utilize science and technology to communicate his themes and ideas?
2) In what ways is Solaris a mystery or psychological thriller? What elements of the mystery/thriller genre does the author use?
3) What elements of the horror/ghost story genre does Solaris use? Is the story of Solaris a horrifying one?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)