|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What experiment does Snow want Kelvin to perform?
(a) an experiment to permanently confine the visitors
(b) an experiment to secure the station against emanations from Solaris
(c) an experiment to destabilize the visitors at a subatomic level
(d) an experiment to communicate with Solaris
2. Where does Kelvin go after the experiment?
(a) his quarters
(b) Gibarian's quarters
(c) the shuttle bay
(d) the library
3. How does Rheya try to kill herself?
(a) swallowing liquid oxygen
(b) cutting her own throat
(c) shooting herself
(d) walking out into space unprotected
4. What does Sartorius ask Kelvin to think about during the electroencephalogram?
(a) mankind's rich scientific history
(b) his innermost conflicts
(c) a wish to make the visitors disappear
(d) images from his childhood
5. What does Kelvin want to do after he realizes Rheya is truly gone?
(a) destroy the research station
(b) destroy Solaris
(c) kill himself
(d) kill Sartorius
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the common perception of Solaris during the second period of Solarist study that Gravinsky identifies?
2. What does Rheya give Kelvin before he goes to sleep after he asks what she's doing in the night?
3. What did Kelvin's thesis compare?
4. What does the ocean do when it laps up against humans?
5. What does Kelvin suddenly decide to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe an extensor.
2. Why doesn't Kelvin want to open a communications channel to the shuttle he launched?
3. Describe the ocean as Kelvin sees it, after leaving the research station for the first time.
4. Why does Kelvin go to the library?
5. What is Gravinsk's Compendium commonly used for?
6. What does Snow call Rheya?
7. Describe Sartorius' speech to Kelvin before the experiment.
8. What does Rheya want from Kelvin, after she listens to the tape recorder?
9. What does Rheya say in her suicide note?
10. How does Rheya describe being away from Kelvin?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)