|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What experiment does Sartorius want to perform?
(a) broadcast a message using binary code to the ocean
(b) submerge a machine that transmits brain activity in real-time
(c) submerge a radiation-emitting machine to kill the ocean
(d) broadcast a scientist's brain waves to the ocean
2. What does Snow give to Kelvin?
(a) a piece of jewelry from Rheya
(b) a suicide note from Rheya
(c) a tape recording from Rheya
(d) a piece of Rheya's dress
3. What is Kelvin's mood following the experiment?
(a) depressed and withdrawn
(b) apprehensive and disconnected
(c) elated and manic
(d) angry and agitated
4. What is the common perception of Solaris during the second period of Solarist study that Gravinsky identifies?
(a) that the ocean is alien to the galaxy
(b) that the ocean is a complex biological creature
(c) that the ocean is a lifeless chemical form
(d) that the ocean is completely inanimate
5. What does Snow say their situation is beyond?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens the following night?
2. What experiment does Snow suggest to Kelvin?
3. Who is the second person Kelvin thinks of during the brainwave recording?
4. What decision does Kelvin make at the end of the novel?
5. Why does Kelvin make his argument?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Snow's response to Sartorius' new experiment?
2. Why does Kelvin go to the library?
3. What reasons does Kelvin have not to tell Rheya what she wants to know?
4. What metaphor does Kelvin use to describe trying to understand Solaris?
5. How does Rheya sign her suicide note?
6. Why doesn't Kelvin want to open a communications channel to the shuttle he launched?
7. What does Snow say that Sartorius wants to do to the ocean?
8. What is Gravinsk's Compendium commonly used for?
9. Describe a mimoid.
10. What book does Kelvin read in the library?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)