|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Kelvin's mood following the experiment?
(a) angry and agitated
(b) apprehensive and disconnected
(c) depressed and withdrawn
(d) elated and manic
2. What is Kelvin looking for, that he thought about during the brainwave recording?
(a) a scientific measuring instrument
(b) a locket
(c) a computer program
(d) a picure of Geise
3. What happens to Rheya after she tries to kill herself?
(a) She dies and another Rheya appears.
(b) She regenerates and loses her memory.
(c) She regenerates and is not harmed.
(d) She disappears and another Rheya appears.
4. What does Snow do the first time Kelvin sees him after the experiment?
(a) He mutters to himself, completely ignoring Kelvin and Rheya.
(b) He stumbles into the kitchen and collapses on the floor.
(c) He walks into the kitchen area and falls asleep in a chair.
(d) He opens a can of meat and starts gobbling it down.
5. What problem does Kelvin see in bringing Rheya to Earth?
(a) She won't be able to leave his side after they arrive on Earth.
(b) She doesn't have proper papers and wouldn't be allowed on Earth.
(c) She won't fit in with other people.
(d) She would suffer from culture shock.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new theory does Kelvin say Snow has created about Solaris?
2. What decision does Kelvin make at the end of the novel?
3. Where is Rheya when Kelvin wakes up with a fuzzy head after being drugged?
4. What does Snow say their situation is beyond?
5. What does Kelvin say when Snow suggests Kelvin's "god" is mankind?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe an extensor.
2. How does Snow describe Rheya's final moments?
3. Why does Kelvin go to the library?
4. Why does Rheya choose the method she uses to try to kill herself?
5. How does Rheya describe being away from Kelvin?
6. What does Rheya say in her suicide note?
7. What reasons does Kelvin have not to tell Rheya what she wants to know?
8. What book does Kelvin read in the library?
9. Why doesn't Kelvin want to open a communications channel to the shuttle he launched?
10. What metaphor does Kelvin use to describe trying to understand Solaris?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)