Essay Topic 1
One of the main dreams of Solarists is contact with the ocean, and so one of the major thematic elements in Solaris is communication.
1) What are the obstacles to communication in Solaris, both between the ocean and the scientists and between the human characters? What is the effect of a lack of communication?
2) Does the ocean attempt to communicate with the scientists?
3) Is communication possible with the ocean?
Essay Topic 2
Solaris is written in the first person point of view, from Kelvin's perspective. Discuss point of view in Solaris.
1) Kelvin enters the Solaris research in the middle of the action, when Gibarian is already dead. Why does the author choose to begin with Kelvin's arrival into an already ongoing situation?
2) The first person point of view restricts the reader's knowledge to Kelvin's thoughts and perception. Why does the author choose this point of view?
3) Why does...
This section contains 1,725 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)