|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Helena and Maria finally end up during their driving adventure?
2. Which of the following characters claims that healing does not take place without the work of God?
3. Which of the following was not one of Don Domingo's compulsions?
4. Who knows about Caridad's attack?
5. Who won the lottery after Caridad had a numerical vision?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Fe and Casimiro decide to have a small wedding?
2. How does Caridad "reject men and embrace spirituality" in Chapter 2?
3. Describe the differences between the four daughters. What makes each of them unique?
4. Explain the routine of Caridad's life as she is mentored by Felicia.
5. How does Don Domingo exploit Caridad's gift of prophecy in Chapter 2?
6. How does the woman on television describe hell, heaven, and purgatory?
7. By the end of the novel, what has Sofi lost and gained?
8. How is La Loca depicted as a sort of embodiment of Jesus?
9. Why is Sofi raising four daughters alone? What role does the girls' father play in Chapter 1?
10. What events lead up to Caridad's horse's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Castillo's story presents sisters that appear to be very different from one another. Compare and contrast Sofi's four daughters to one another. How are their worldviews different? How are they the same? Be sure to use specific examples from your reading.
Essay Topic 2
Sofi's cooperative is a significant part of Castillo's story. What does the organization symbolize? What similarities can you give between the cooperative and Sofi's character?
Essay Topic 3
How was the sexual assault on Caridad foreshadowed in the earlier part of the book? Did you expect her to be attacked? Why or why not?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)