|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why hasn't Sofi felt comfortable leaving the house over the previous twenty years?
2. What animal moves into the trailer as well?
3. Where are Helena and Maria from?
4. How is Caridad's reputation as a medium described?
5. Who told Francisco that "God writes straight in crooked letters"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony in the fact that Esperanza is taken as a prisoner overseas?
2. How is La Loca depicted as a sort of embodiment of Jesus?
3. How is Francisco characterized in Chapter 5?
4. By the end of the novel, what has Sofi lost and gained?
5. Do you think Francisco is a likable character? Why or why not?
6. What happens when Francisco finds Caridad alone in the cave?
7. Explain what eventually kills Fe.
8. What sign does Francisco see outside Caridad's door?
9. Why does Sofi feel as if she is a prisoner in her own house?
10. How does the woman on television describe hell, heaven, and purgatory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was the sexual assault on Caridad foreshadowed in the earlier part of the book? Did you expect her to be attacked? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What is the overall theme of Castillo's novel? Is there more than one theme? How does Castillo use characters and events to communicate the theme to readers?
Essay Topic 3
Which character in Castillo's book is most likable? Why? Which character do you like the least? What is it about that particular character that causes you to dislike him or her?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)