|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many daughters does Sofi have?
2. Who does Caridad marry?
3. What illness is La Loca diagnosed with in the hospital in Albuquerque?
4. What is Fe's response when her fiancé tells her he doesn't want to get married?
5. Why is La Loca repulsed by humans?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the story of La Llorona.
2. How is Francisco characterized in Chapter 5?
3. Elaborate on the scene in which Caridad falls in love for the first time since Memo.
4. What is Domingo's response to Sofi's successful cooperative?
5. Describe the cooperative that Sofi and her neighbor develop.
6. By the end of the novel, what has Sofi lost and gained?
7. What does Domingo do in Chapter 6 that leads to Sofi falling in love with him again?
8. Why does Sofi feel as if she is a prisoner in her own house?
9. What effect does Fe's death have on La Loca?
10. Describe the path of Felicia's life and what has led her to becoming a healer.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the overall theme of Castillo's novel? Is there more than one theme? How does Castillo use characters and events to communicate the theme to readers?
Essay Topic 2
Magical realism is an important aspect of Castillo's work. How is this technique used to tell the story of Sofi and her daughters? What does magical realism contribute to the effect of Castillo's work on readers? How does she incorporate it into the greater work?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the climax of this story and the series of events leading up to the climax. How did characters respond to the climax? What did Castillo include in her story to insure that the climax would be as powerful and meaningful as possible?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)