|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does the Sovereign Will become when private interests dominate government?
2. The author thinks that, as an expression of the Sovereign Will, the purer the expression means the greater of which of the following?
3. According to the author, the Princes who act as executives are fulfilling their duty as which of the following?
4. Which of the following should be the objective that people undertake in government?
5. According to the author, by which of the following does the government tend to govern when it becomes large and bureaucratic?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the author, when is it ideal that certain positions be decided by vote?
2. What does a censor do?
3. What is one of the three conditions that must be in place for a democracy not to be unwieldy and inefficient?
4. What is the best way for the Sovereign Will to be understood?
5. What is the only law that the author believes requires unanimous consent?
6. What type of government does the author think is best?
7. Whose power is null and void when assemblies are called?
8. Pursuant to the author's rule, what is the exception to the government never being altered?
9. Once established, why should government never be altered?
10. What does monotheism mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
According to the author, what are the three different types of will operating within the magistrate? Which is strongest? Which should be the strongest, and why? What impact does that have on a government?
Essay Topic 2
What does the author think of individuals? What characteristics does the author believe individuals have? Why is that important to the author's theory? Use at least three examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
According to the author, what are the causes and effects of violence? Cite three examples from the book to support your answer.
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)