|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author's entire book is based on which of the following?
2. The author believes that slavery is bad, but that it was a worthwhile price to pay because it allowed individuals to do which of the following?
(a) Spend more time in government.
(b) Spend more time being educated.
(c) Spend more time being Legislators.
(d) Spend more time at home.
3. The censor monitors and enforces which of the following?
4. In a monarchy, the individual in power represents which of the following?
(a) The general public.
(b) The ideal citizen.
(c) The private will.
(d) The collective being.
5. In order to promote efficiency in a democracy, in which of the following must there be utter equality in rank and fortune?
(a) The citizens.
(b) The officeholders.
(c) The legislators.
(d) The magistrates.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what ancient government was the need for representatives non-existent?
2. According to the author, which of the following terms best describes what the basic tenets of the Christian faith are to the function of the Sovereign?
3. Which municipal government does the author use as an example of an effective balance between election by lot and election by vote?
4. The author believes that the belief in one god caused the separation of which of the following?
5. A dictator should have power and which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the three conditions that must be in place for a democracy not to be unwieldy and inefficient?
2. According to the author, what is the sign of a good government?
3. Whose power is null and void when assemblies are called?
4. In a monarchy, why does the power of the monarch have to be absolute?
5. For what purpose does the author use the government in Venice as an example?
6. What are the two types of assemblies of citizens that the author describes?
7. What type of situation calls for a dictator?
8. According to the author, what happens to make the Sovereign Will an illusion?
9. What are the three forms of aristocracy?
10. According to the author, focus upon which aspect of their life by individuals results in their loss of freedom?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)