|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does the author use when he seeks to show how the Sovereign Will can be transformed into a democracy?
(a) British House of Commons.
(b) French House of Commons.
(c) German House of Commons.
(d) Italian House of Commons.
2. In order to make a democracy efficient, there must be a set of rules governing which of the following?
(a) Distribution of resources.
(c) Public debate.
3. The author believes that if there were a state populated by which of the following, a democracy might be able to govern.
(a) Wealthy people.
(c) Educated citizens.
(d) Few citizens.
4. In Book 4, from which of the following perspectives does the author argue?
5. Why does the author suggest that, every few years, the tribunes be removed from the system of government?
(a) To prevent over-service.
(b) To prevent laziness.
(c) To prevent tyranny.
(d) To prevent unrest.
6. The author believes that a successful state has never been established without which of the following at its base?
7. A natural aristocracy is based on government by which of the following?
(a) Those who are elected.
(b) Those who seize power.
(c) Those who inherit it.
(d) Those with age or experience.
8. In order to keep all the cities equal within the state, what does the author suggest be moved from city to city?
(a) The residence of the Prince.
(b) The assemblies.
(c) The capital.
(d) The armies.
9. Those votes influenced by the will of a despot are not which of the following?
(a) Free votes.
(b) Honorable votes.
(c) True votes.
(d) Intelligent votes.
10. A dictator should have power and which of the following?
(b) Military experience.
11. When a person has a minority vote, they must accept that they are wrong, and not which of the following?
12. Which of the following lawgivers divided Rome into mathematically precise groups?
13. The author begins Book 4, Chapter 8, with a history of which of the following?
14. Which of the following should be the objective that people undertake in government?
(a) Finding a good government.
(b) Enduring a bad government.
(c) Dealing with a tyrannical government.
(d) Overthrowing a disliked government.
15. The censor monitors and enforces which of the following?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, which of the following terms best describes individuals who are forced to focus on money?
2. The author thinks that, as an expression of the Sovereign Will, the purer the expression means the greater of which of the following?
3. What does the author describe as having great power, not being able to do anything, but able to prevent everything?
4. According to the author, what happens to the power of the Prince, magistrate, and legislator when assemblies form?
5. Banning public conversation and assembly for the sake of maintaining power is the act of which of the following?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)