|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author believes he is a citizen of which of the following?
(a) Free state.
(b) Monarchical state.
(c) Republican state.
(d) Tyrannical state.
2. According to the author, every human being lives in which of the following?
3. On which of the following factors does the author believe that men have no effect?
(a) How many people are needed.
(b) How many farms can be established.
(c) How many families are established.
(d) How many children are born.
4. The author believes that when citizens become enlightened they have to seize which of the following for themselves?
5. Which of the following is the name that the author gives to a state that is governed by enlightened laws solely for the public interest?
6. According to the author, violence is a poor means of maintaining which of the following?
(a) A government.
(b) Social order.
7. According to the author, the more Magistrates that there are, the closer that the government is to which of the following?
(a) A good government.
(b) The will of the people.
(c) A true republic.
(d) The ability to act well.
8. The author believes that a human's most basic instinct is the will to do which of the following?
(b) Have power.
9. According to the author, people who live under a tyrant or despot, yet find their lives peaceful, are experiencing which of the following types of slavery?
10. According to the author, no man has any natural authority over which of the following?
(a) His family.
(b) His beliefs.
(c) His state.
(d) His fellows.
11. The author compares authoritarian societies to which of the following social structures?
12. Men can accomplish more if they band together and work toward which of the following?
(a) The desire of the powerful.
(b) The good of the poorest.
(c) The common good.
(d) The desire of the majority.
13. The author believes that every individual has the responsibility to die in defense of which of the following?
(a) The state.
(b) The particular will.
(c) The community.
(d) The general will.
14. The author believes that the strength of the individual is insufficient to overcome which of the following?
(a) The will of a powerful ruler.
(b) Obstacles to survival.
(c) Obstacles to property ownership.
(d) The will of the many.
15. The term, magistrate, is used interchangeably with which of the following titles?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, who benefits in war?
2. The author believes that Grotius formed his theories with the sole aim of flattering and ingratiating himself with whom of the following?
3. Chapter 12 of Book 2 might best be described as which of the following types of chapter?
4. Where does the author believe government to have the best and truest form of ultimate power?
5. According to the author, which of the following does the state have a right to do to people who threaten the state?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)