|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, unless natural circumstances are taken into account by the legislator, the laws will be which of the following?
(c) Hard to follow.
2. The fourth type of law is the moral law of custom, also referred to as which of the following?
3. The author believes that cultural reform must happen when the culture is in which of the following states?
(a) Relatively solid.
(b) Relatively unsteady.
(c) Relatively old.
(d) Relatively young.
4. Men can accomplish more if they band together and work toward which of the following?
(a) The desire of the majority.
(b) The common good.
(c) The desire of the powerful.
(d) The good of the poorest.
5. The author states that moral equality must be substituted for which of the following in a social contract?
(a) Property inequality.
(b) Social inequality.
(c) Physical inequality.
(d) Possessor inequality.
6. When men work together in the way that the author suggests, it produces what type of authority?
(a) True moral and malignant authority.
(b) True moral and majority authority.
(c) True moral and collective authority.
(d) True moral and compact authority.
7. When the author refers to "associations" formed in the community that must be kept equal, which of the following does he mean?
(a) Political parties.
(b) Religious groups.
(c) Sporting teams.
8. The author believes that men are not naturally which of the following?
9. The author believes that the strength of the individual is insufficient to overcome which of the following?
(a) Obstacles to survival.
(b) The will of the many.
(c) The will of a powerful ruler.
(d) Obstacles to property ownership.
10. The author believes that when citizens become enlightened they have to seize which of the following for themselves?
11. When a state is too small, the people's spirit tends to become which of the following?
12. The author states that slavery is established and perpetuated by which of the following?
(c) A majority.
13. The social contract equalizes all men in which of the following?
(a) Political rights.
(b) Societal rights.
(c) Legal rights.
(d) Possession rights.
14. The author believes that the more bureaucracy that there is, the more that the government will be dominated by which type of will?
(a) Sovereign Will.
(b) Political will.
(c) Private will.
(d) General will.
15. According to the author, from which of the following does justice flow?
(a) The law.
(d) The general will.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 12, the author summarizes his theme that which of the following is necessary for law and government?
2. According to the author, who benefits in war?
3. Which of the following does the author suggest to be the best time for a state to be established?
4. According to the author, violence is a poor means of maintaining which of the following?
5. Chapter 12 of Book 2 might best be described as which of the following types of chapter?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)