|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Grotius?
(a) A social philosopher.
(b) A religious philosopher.
(c) A family philosopher.
(d) A scientific philosopher.
2. The author states that the second aspect of government is that it exists for the good of which of the following?
(a) The individual.
(b) The state.
(c) The Sovereign.
(d) The community.
3. The author believes that the government does not have the right to lay greater responsibility on one person than another because the government then becomes which of the following?
4. The term, patriarchal refers to which of the following being dominant?
5. According to the author, which of the following does man give up in the social contract?
(a) Unlimited power.
(b) Unlimited speech.
(c) Unlimited freedom.
(d) Unlimited property.
6. The right of which of the following terms in the first degree refers to private property rights under the state?
7. According to the author, which of the following contributes toward obedience having less value?
(a) External forces.
8. The author believes that cultural reform must happen when the culture is in which of the following states?
(a) Relatively solid.
(b) Relatively old.
(c) Relatively young.
(d) Relatively unsteady.
9. According to the author, the larger that a state is, the less influence which of the following will have?
(a) The Magistrate.
(b) The army.
(c) The Legislator.
(d) The individual.
10. According to the author, war originates from the relationship between which of the following?
11. In Chapter 12, the author summarizes his theme that which of the following is necessary for law and government?
12. According to the author, the more Magistrates that there are, the closer that the government is to which of the following?
(a) A true republic.
(b) The will of the people.
(c) The ability to act well.
(d) A good government.
13. Who is Grotius?
(a) A revolutionary.
(b) A king.
(c) A philosopher.
(d) A father.
14. When a state becomes too large, the government becomes which of the following to a high degree?
15. The author states that moral equality must be substituted for which of the following in a social contract?
(a) Possessor inequality.
(b) Property inequality.
(c) Social inequality.
(d) Physical inequality.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author believes that every individual has the responsibility to die in defense of which of the following?
2. The author believes that the people who deliberate and form the general will do not always do so from a place that houses which of the following?
3. Which of the following is destroyed if the government does not reflect the Sovereign Will?
4. The fourth type of law is the moral law of custom, also referred to as which of the following?
5. The author believes that the more bureaucracy that there is, the more that the government will be dominated by which type of will?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)