|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author states that every free act must have two causes; moral and which of the following?
2. Which of the following does the author consider to be the only thing that can direct a state toward decisions of the common good?
(a) General will of the government.
(b) General will of the community.
(c) Specific will of the community.
(d) Specific will of individuals.
3. The fourth type of law is the moral law of custom, also referred to as which of the following?
4. The term, patriarchal refers to which of the following being dominant?
5. Which of the following does the author suggest to be the best time for a state to be established?
(a) In the middle of prosperity.
(b) At the time that violence comes to an end.
(c) During a time of relative peace.
(d) At the beginning of war.
6. By which of the following terms does the author state that the power of deciding for the whole of the body can only be established?
(c) Proper ordering.
(d) Veiled proceedings.
7. The author believes that all power comes from which of the following?
(b) Human nature.
8. According to the author, people who live under a tyrant or despot, yet find their lives peaceful, are experiencing which of the following types of slavery?
9. According to the author, a city is a collection of which of the following?
10. The author believes that the more bureaucracy that there is, the more that the government will be dominated by which type of will?
(a) General will.
(b) Sovereign Will.
(c) Private will.
(d) Political will.
11. According to the author, from which of the following does justice flow?
(b) The law.
(c) The general will.
12. Chapter 12 of Book 2 might best be described as which of the following types of chapter?
13. The author states that a social contract in a bad government does which of the following?
(a) Keeps everyone miserable.
(b) Keeps those in power miserable.
(c) Keeps the middle-class miserable.
(d) Keeps the poor miserable.
14. The state is supposed to enact laws that protect personal property from which of the following?
(a) Being taken by others.
(b) Being taken.
(c) Being taken by force.
(d) Being taken by law.
15. Which of the following is another phrase that the author uses for "empowering of the Sovereign Will"?
(a) The business of legislators.
(b) The business of magistrates.
(c) The business of citizens.
(d) The business of government.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author states that the second aspect of government is that it exists for the good of which of the following?
2. The second type of law governs the relationship between which of the following within the state?
3. Which of the following types of law is the third type of law that governs a specific type of relationship within a state?
4. Where does the author believe government to have the best and truest form of ultimate power?
5. According to the author, war originates from the relationship between which of the following?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)