|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author believes that a human's most basic instinct is the will to do which of the following?
(c) Have power.
2. The term, magistrate, is used interchangeably with which of the following titles?
3. When the author writes of a sovereign within the social contract, he refers to which of the following?
(a) The single ruler.
(b) The outward will of the group.
(c) The collective authority.
(d) The person in leadership of the group.
4. According to the author, which of the following does a legislator do?
(a) Enacts laws.
(b) Repeals laws.
(c) Makes laws.
(d) Interprets laws.
5. According to the author, every human being lives in which of the following?
6. According to the author, unless natural circumstances are taken into account by the legislator, the laws will be which of the following?
(b) Hard to follow.
7. The author believes that the law of government must develop, in tandem, with which of the following types of law?
(a) Scientific law.
(b) Physical law.
(c) Legal law.
(d) Natural law.
8. According to the author, which of the following does man gain in the social contract?
(a) Civil liberty.
(b) Political liberty.
(c) Social liberty.
(d) Spiritual liberty.
9. The author states that a social contract in a bad government does which of the following?
(a) Keeps the poor miserable.
(b) Keeps everyone miserable.
(c) Keeps the middle-class miserable.
(d) Keeps those in power miserable.
10. According to the author, people who live under a tyrant or despot, yet find their lives peaceful, are experiencing which of the following types of slavery?
11. How rare does the author think that individuals who possess the ideal traits of legislators are?
(a) Extremely rare.
(b) Not rare.
(c) So rare that they do not exist.
(d) Moderately rare.
12. Which of the following is destroyed if the government does not reflect the Sovereign Will?
(b) Body Politic.
(c) Political Knowledge.
13. Which of the following best describes Grotius?
(a) A family philosopher.
(b) A social philosopher.
(c) A religious philosopher.
(d) A scientific philosopher.
14. Which of the following does the author believes to be few in number in a well-ordered state?
15. How many states does the author believe have been established within the guidelines that he gives in Book 2?
(a) A lot.
(b) A few.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author suggests that which of the following types of law is the foundation for all other laws?
2. The term, patriarchal refers to which of the following being dominant?
3. The second type of law governs the relationship between which of the following within the state?
4. Which of the following does the author consider to be the only thing that can direct a state toward decisions of the common good?
5. The Sovereign Will is the expression of desired action to meet which of the following?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)