|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author believes that the strength of the individual is insufficient to overcome which of the following?
(a) The will of a powerful ruler.
(b) Obstacles to survival.
(c) Obstacles to property ownership.
(d) The will of the many.
2. The author believes that Grotius formed his theories with the sole aim of flattering and ingratiating himself with whom of the following?
(a) The English king.
(b) The German king.
(c) The French king.
(d) The Spanish king.
3. According to the author, unless natural circumstances are taken into account by the legislator, the laws will be which of the following?
(c) Hard to follow.
4. When a state is too small, the people's spirit tends to become which of the following?
5. The author believes that a legislator must not have which of the following over other men?
6. The will of all is a conglomeration of which of the following?
(a) Private needs.
(b) Private companies.
(c) Private charities.
(d) Private interests.
7. The author believes that all power comes from which of the following?
(a) Human nature.
8. The author believes that a man's hold on his personal property is which of the following when he is part of the state?
9. According to the author, a city is a collection of which of the following?
10. The author believes that force does not constitute which of the following?
11. The author believes that when citizens become enlightened they have to seize which of the following for themselves?
12. Which of the following does the author suggest to be the best time for a state to be established?
(a) During a time of relative peace.
(b) At the beginning of war.
(c) In the middle of prosperity.
(d) At the time that violence comes to an end.
13. If the natural circumstances are not taken into account by the legislator, what type of status will the state be in?
14. The right of which of the following terms in the first degree refers to private property rights under the state?
15. The author believes that a human's most basic instinct is the will to do which of the following?
(d) Have power.
Short Answer Questions
1. The term, magistrate, is used interchangeably with which of the following titles?
2. The first type of laws govern the interaction between the state and which of the following?
3. According to the author, war originates from the relationship between which of the following?
4. According to the author, which of the following contributes toward obedience having less value?
5. The state is supposed to enact laws that protect personal property from which of the following?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)