|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By which of the following terms does the author state that the power of deciding for the whole of the body can only be established?
(b) Proper ordering.
(d) Veiled proceedings.
2. According to the author, the more Magistrates that there are, the closer that the government is to which of the following?
(a) The will of the people.
(b) A good government.
(c) The ability to act well.
(d) A true republic.
3. The author states that there will be three wills operating within the Magistrate. Which of the following does the author think will naturally be the strongest?
(a) Community will.
(b) Sovereign Will.
(c) Individual will.
(d) Will of the people.
4. Who is Grotius?
(a) A father.
(b) A revolutionary.
(c) A philosopher.
(d) A king.
5. How many states does the author believe have been established within the guidelines that he gives in Book 2?
(b) A few.
(d) A lot.
6. According to the author, unless natural circumstances are taken into account by the legislator, the laws will be which of the following?
(c) Hard to follow.
7. If the natural circumstances are not taken into account by the legislator, what type of status will the state be in?
8. Where does the author believe government to have the best and truest form of ultimate power?
(a) With the people.
(b) With the military.
(c) In one man.
(d) In a body of men.
9. The author believes that the government does not have the right to lay greater responsibility on one person than another because the government then becomes which of the following?
10. The Sovereign Will is subject to which of the following in a constant way?
11. The author believes that cultural reform must happen when the culture is in which of the following states?
(a) Relatively solid.
(b) Relatively old.
(c) Relatively young.
(d) Relatively unsteady.
12. According to the author, the ideal legislator is objective, intelligent, and which of the following?
13. According to the author, which of the following situation takes place within a state that is plagued by uncertainty?
(a) It is conquered.
(b) It fixes itself.
(c) It falls apart.
(d) There is a revolution.
14. The discussion that the author has about population would be described today using which of the following terms?
(a) Population density.
(b) Population maximization.
(c) Population growth.
(d) Population change.
15. Which of the following does the author believes to be few in number in a well-ordered state?
Short Answer Questions
1. The fourth type of law is the moral law of custom, also referred to as which of the following?
2. Which of the following is destroyed if the government does not reflect the Sovereign Will?
3. According to the author, people who live under a tyrant or despot, yet find their lives peaceful, are experiencing which of the following types of slavery?
4. On which of the following factors does the author believe that men have no effect?
5. The right of which of the following terms in the first degree refers to private property rights under the state?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)