|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On which of the following factors does the author believe that men have no effect?
(a) How many farms can be established.
(b) How many families are established.
(c) How many children are born.
(d) How many people are needed.
2. The author believes that force does not constitute which of the following?
3. Chapter 12 of Book 2 might best be described as which of the following types of chapter?
4. According to the author, a city is a collection of which of the following?
5. The author states that the Magistrate receives power to lead the government from which of the following?
(a) Natural law.
(b) The people.
(c) The constitution.
6. What type of community does the author envision in a seaside state?
(a) Populous community.
(b) Industrial community.
(c) Shipping community.
(d) Agricultural community.
7. Which of the following best describes Grotius?
(a) A religious philosopher.
(b) A social philosopher.
(c) A scientific philosopher.
(d) A family philosopher.
8. By which of the following terms does the author state that the power of deciding for the whole of the body can only be established?
(b) Veiled proceedings.
(d) Proper ordering.
9. The author believes that every individual has the responsibility to die in defense of which of the following?
(a) The community.
(b) The particular will.
(c) The general will.
(d) The state.
10. The Sovereign Will is subject to which of the following in a constant way?
11. The author believes that the more bureaucracy that there is, the more that the government will be dominated by which type of will?
(a) General will.
(b) Political will.
(c) Private will.
(d) Sovereign Will.
12. When a state becomes too large, the government becomes which of the following to a high degree?
13. According to the author, which of the following does man give up in the social contract?
(a) Unlimited power.
(b) Unlimited property.
(c) Unlimited freedom.
(d) Unlimited speech.
14. The author believes that a man's hold on his personal property is which of the following when he is part of the state?
15. When men work together in the way that the author suggests, it produces what type of authority?
(a) True moral and majority authority.
(b) True moral and malignant authority.
(c) True moral and collective authority.
(d) True moral and compact authority.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, which of the following does a legislator do?
2. Which of the following terms refers to a generalized rule, way of communicating, or way of conducting affairs?
3. The author states that there will be three wills operating within the Magistrate. Which of the following does the author think will naturally be the strongest?
4. The author believes that Grotius formed his theories with the sole aim of flattering and ingratiating himself with whom of the following?
5. Who is Grotius?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)