|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author believes he is a citizen of which of the following?
(a) Monarchical state.
(b) Republican state.
(c) Free state.
(d) Tyrannical state.
2. Men can accomplish more if they band together and work toward which of the following?
(a) The desire of the powerful.
(b) The good of the poorest.
(c) The desire of the majority.
(d) The common good.
3. The author believes that the people who deliberate and form the general will do not always do so from a place that houses which of the following?
(c) Moral decency.
4. According to the author, violence is a poor means of maintaining which of the following?
(b) Social order.
(d) A government.
5. According to the author, which of the following does a legislator do?
(a) Makes laws.
(b) Interprets laws.
(c) Repeals laws.
(d) Enacts laws.
6. According to the author, the legislator must appeal to an authority who can bear men away without which of the following elements?
7. According to the author, the state does not have a right to take the life of an individual who threatens which of the following?
(b) National defense.
(c) Ideas and technology.
(d) Other individuals.
8. The author believes that the government does not have the right to lay greater responsibility on one person than another because the government then becomes which of the following?
9. The will of all is a conglomeration of which of the following?
(a) Private needs.
(b) Private companies.
(c) Private interests.
(d) Private charities.
10. According to the author, which of the following contributes toward obedience having less value?
(c) External forces.
11. Of the three wills operating within the Magistrate, which one has to be strongest for good government to exist?
(a) General will.
(b) Will of the people.
(c) Sovereign Will.
(d) Particular will.
12. The author believes that the law of government must develop, in tandem, with which of the following types of law?
(a) Natural law.
(b) Legal law.
(c) Physical law.
(d) Scientific law.
13. The general will is always which of the following?
14. According to the author, war originates from the relationship between which of the following?
15. The discussion that the author has about population would be described today using which of the following terms?
(a) Population maximization.
(b) Population change.
(c) Population growth.
(d) Population density.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Sovereign Will is subject to which of the following in a constant way?
2. How many states does the author believe have been established within the guidelines that he gives in Book 2?
3. The author believes that Grotius formed his theories with the sole aim of flattering and ingratiating himself with whom of the following?
4. According to the author, which of the following does man give up in the social contract?
5. By being part of the social contract, man does which of the following?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)