|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who watches Lily's children while she takes care of her sick mother- in-law?
2. What is Snow Flower's appearance when Lily visits her in "Into the Clouds"?
3. Who are Taipings?
4. Where does Lily take her children after the servants flee her in-laws' house?
5. Why are eggs served to guests at the one-month party for Lily's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Lily miss her husband?
2. Describe Lily's reunion with her husband after she comes down from the mountain.
3. Are Snow Flower and Lily's husbands supportive of their laotong friendship after the rebellion?
4. Describe Lily's son.
5. What do the sworn sisters tell Lily about Snow Flower?
6. How does Lily care for her mother-in-law when she becomes sick with typhoid?
7. What helped give the fleeing villagers courage as they sat in the bowl of the mountain?
8. What do Lily and her mother fight about when Lily returns home after Snow Flower's marriage?
9. How does Lily respond when she hears Snow Flower sing the Letter of Vituperation?
10. Describe Snow Flower's second son.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe one setting of the novel and its importance in a character's life. How does this setting influence or change this character? Use specific details of setting to support your point.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the challenges of the refugees as they climb the mountain. What does Lily see and hear that gives you a sense of her experience? In what way is the Butcher both a savior and a destroyer in this location?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Snow Flower's relationship with her husband. How does he treat her and what excuses does she make for him?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)