|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lily burn from the flame of an oil lamp?
2. What is Lily's eldest son studying to be in "Into the Clouds"?
3. Why do the men on the mountain ask their wives to go back down the mountain for supplies?
4. What does Lily teach Peony?
5. What does Uncle Lu have on his face that he likes to play with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the sworn sisters tell Lily about Snow Flower?
2. What does Lily do to shield her children from the typhoid epidemic?
3. Describe why Lily lets her son leave the upstairs chamber.
4. What do Lily and Snow Flower do while at the Temple of Gupo when they become pregnant?
5. Describe Snow Flower's second son.
6. How does Lily care for her mother-in-law when she becomes sick with typhoid?
7. How do Lily's feet feel as she climbs the steep mountain path?
8. How does Lily try to comfort Snow Flower after the miscarriage of her daughter?
9. Describe Lily's son.
10. Does Lily miss her husband?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lily says she wrote down the stories of the village women so they could place some value on their lives. How does she do the same for herself? What one thing does Lily wish others to remember about her?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the challenges of the refugees as they climb the mountain. What does Lily see and hear that gives you a sense of her experience? In what way is the Butcher both a savior and a destroyer in this location?
Essay Topic 3
Do you think Lily makes up for her humiliation of Snow Flower by her actions during the last days of Snow Flower's life? Why does she ask for Snow Flower's forgiveness at the end of the novel? What is the one regret Lily has regarding her laotong relationship with Snow Flower?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)