|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of animal personality does Lily say Snow Flower's mother-in-law has?
2. Why does Lily's aunt avoid her during her pregnancy?
3. What job does Lily's husband give to Snow Flower's son?
4. Why does Lily want to fetch tea for the upstairs chamber in "Joy and Sorrow"?
5. What are days of mothering referred to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lily do to shield her children from the typhoid epidemic?
2. What does Lily do for Snow Flower's granddaughter, Peony?
3. Describe Snow Flower and Lily's complaints about their mothers-in-law.
4. Describe Lily's son.
5. How does Lily try to comfort Snow Flower after the miscarriage of her daughter?
6. Describe Snow Flower's second son.
7. Is Snow Flower welcomed in Lily's new home?
8. Why does Lily want to wait for her husband when the Taipings arrive in Snow Flower's village?
9. Are Snow Flower and Lily's husbands supportive of their laotong friendship after the rebellion?
10. Describe Lily's reunion with her husband after she comes down from the mountain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lily's mother-in-law warns her of the perils of having a laotong in another village and mentions that Lily will not have protection if something goes wrong while she is visiting Snow Flower. How did Lady Lu's words come true for Lily? What are the consequences of her visit to Snow Flower's home during the rebel uprising?
Essay Topic 2
What kind of man is Lily's husband? Do they seem to have a happy marriage? Why or why not? Provide three examples to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the early and later friendship between Lily and Snow Flower. How does the balance of power change between them as they age?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)