|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lily's father receive from the groom's family that made him one of the richest men in the village?
2. Whose father takes the pipe too often?
3. What pattern is embroidered on Lily's green silk jacket that she wears to visit Snow Flower in "Truth"?
4. Where did Lily spend her childhood?
5. What animal does Lily call her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lily's childhood home.
2. What is Snow Flower's father's condition?
3. What does the narrator, Lily, say about what caused every problem in her life?
4. Describe Lily and Snow Flower when they are fifteen.
5. What does Madame Wang suggest about Lily having a laotong?
6. What does Lily remember about being five and wading in the river?
7. Describe Snow Flower's personality.
8. Why does Lily feel betrayed by her mother?
9. Does Lily accept Snow Flower's invitation to be her laotong?
10. What story does Aunt tell the girls about nu shu?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of man is Lily's husband? Do they seem to have a happy marriage? Why or why not? Provide three examples to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Lily's feelings of betrayal about Snow Flower's true family circumstances. Why did Madame Wang arrange the laotong relationship between Snow Flower and Lily? Why does Lily's mother keep it a secret from Lily?
Essay Topic 3
What is the contract that Lily and Snow Flower write? How do they uphold this contract through the years? What makes Lily think that Snow Flower has broken it?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)