|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal spirit do Lily and Snow Flower share?
2. What does Lily add to her fan after she and Snow Flower visit Beautiful Moon's grave site?
3. Who is Snow Flower marrying?
4. Why does Madame Wang take Lily and Snow Flower to the fair at the Temple of Gupo?
5. What gifts do Lily and Beautiful Moon receive from their groom's families after their marriage arrangements?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Beautiful Moon gets stung by a bee?
2. Is Lily worried about the note Snow Flower sends with the fan when Lily leaves her home for her wedding?
3. What does having a laotong relationship with Snow Flower mean to Lily's family?
4. Does Lily accept Snow Flower's invitation to be her laotong?
5. What is Snow Flower's father's condition?
6. How does Lily help Snow Flower as she prepares to marry?
7. What does Madame Wang say about Lily's feet?
8. What does Lily learn about when she goes with Snow Flower and Madame Wang to the fair at the Temple of Gupo?
9. Describe the moment when Lily knows that Snow Flower loves her when they are in the women's chamber.
10. Describe the diviner's visit to Lily's home when she was five.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the early and later friendship between Lily and Snow Flower. How does the balance of power change between them as they age?
Essay Topic 2
What is the contract that Lily and Snow Flower write? How do they uphold this contract through the years? What makes Lily think that Snow Flower has broken it?
Essay Topic 3
How are girls and women restricted in their interaction with the larger world outside their homes? In what way does a "women's chamber" confine them? Provide three examples of how Lily catches glimpses of the world in her "daughter days."
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)