|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What age is Lily when she begins practicing household chores?
2. Who does Snow Flower say saved her family?
3. Who is Snow Flower?
4. What does Snow Flower call Madame Wang?
5. What is Snow Flower's father addicted to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the narrator, Lily, say about what caused every problem in her life?
2. Is Elder Sister happy after she is married?
3. What does Lily learn when her lessons begin in the women's chambers?
4. Why does Lily feel betrayed by her mother?
5. What happens when Beautiful Moon gets stung by a bee?
6. How does Lily help Snow Flower as she prepares to marry?
7. What does Madame Wang suggest is the reason Lily is not invited to Snow Flower's home?
8. What does Madame Wang suggest about Lily having a laotong?
9. Why are Lily, Beautiful Moon, and Snow Flower allowed outside during the hot month of the Catching Cool Breezes Festival?
10. Is Lily shocked when she visits Snow Flower's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the details of Lily's footbinding. What is Lily's reaction to it? How was this process a way to keep girls submissive and obedient?
Essay Topic 2
How are girls and women restricted in their interaction with the larger world outside their homes? In what way does a "women's chamber" confine them? Provide three examples of how Lily catches glimpses of the world in her "daughter days."
Essay Topic 3
Describe one setting of the novel and its importance in a character's life. How does this setting influence or change this character? Use specific details of setting to support your point.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)