|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Snow Flower give Lily when she leaves for her betrothed's house?
2. Who are "little daughters-in-law"?
3. What does Madame Gao deliver to the family during the hot month?
4. What gifts do Lily and Beautiful Moon receive from their groom's families after their marriage arrangements?
5. Who acted cheerfully in Lily's childhood home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Lily worried about the note Snow Flower sends with the fan when Lily leaves her home for her wedding?
2. Describe Snow Flower's personality.
3. At the beginning of the novel, what does Lily say interests her now?
4. What does Madame Wang suggest is the reason Lily is not invited to Snow Flower's home?
5. In what way does Snow Flower reassure Lily about her impending wedding and marriage?
6. Describe the moment when Lily knows that Snow Flower loves her when they are in the women's chamber.
7. Does Lily accept Snow Flower's invitation to be her laotong?
8. What does Lily think of her new husband?
9. Why is the fan important to Snow Flower and Lily?
10. What does Madame Wang say about Lily's feet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the details of Lily's footbinding. What is Lily's reaction to it? How was this process a way to keep girls submissive and obedient?
Essay Topic 2
Lily's mother-in-law warns her of the perils of having a laotong in another village and mentions that Lily will not have protection if something goes wrong while she is visiting Snow Flower. How did Lady Lu's words come true for Lily? What are the consequences of her visit to Snow Flower's home during the rebel uprising?
Essay Topic 3
What kind of man is Lily's husband? Do they seem to have a happy marriage? Why or why not? Provide three examples to support your opinion.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)