|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Snow Flower and her family serve Lily for dinner when she visits in the beginning of "Into the Mountains"?
2. What is Master Lu's opinion of Snow Flower?
(a) She puts on a brave face, but she is not strong.
(b) She is strong for a woman.
(c) She laughs too much.
(d) She is quite courageous.
3. How does Lily describe Snow Flower's eldest child while they are on the mountain?
(c) Gentle and delicate.
4. What does Lily say about Snow Flower's voice when she chants the Yao story?
(a) Just a whispher.
(c) Clear and beatiful.
(d) Too loud.
5. What arrives in Tongkou in the hot summer months after the Emperor dies?
(d) Chicken pox.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Lily go in search of while in the mountains?
2. Why does Lily's aunt avoid her during her pregnancy?
3. How long does it take Lily's feet to heal in the mountains?
4. How much longer does Snow Flower have before she dies after Lily comes to stay with her?
5. What does Lily call her mother when she returns home after Snow Flower's marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does Snow Flower's nu shu letter express her true thoughts to Lily after the birth of her son?
2. What did Lily's husband do when the battles came to Tongkou?
3. What does Lily do to shield her children from the typhoid epidemic?
4. Are Snow Flower and Lily's husbands supportive of their laotong friendship after the rebellion?
5. Is Snow Flower welcomed in Lily's new home?
6. Describe why Lily lets her son leave the upstairs chamber.
7. What is Snow Flower's message on the fan that Lotus delivers to Lily during the Mid-Autumn Festival?
8. Describe Snow Flower's second son.
9. What helped give the fleeing villagers courage as they sat in the bowl of the mountain?
10. How do Lily's feet feel as she climbs the steep mountain path?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)