|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lily react when Snow Flower is despondent because her husband beats her?
(a) By listening and not giving advice.
(b) With impatience.
(c) With compassion.
(d) By praying for her.
2. What do Lily and Snow Flower agree on about the binding of their daughters' feet?
(a) To let the girls decide for themselves.
(b) To give up the custom.
(c) To wait until they are seven.
(d) To do it immediately.
3. Why are eggs served to guests at the one-month party for Lily's son?
(a) They are the favorite food of the villagers.
(b) Symbols of life dyed red for celebration.
(c) They are symbols of childhood toys.
(d) There was a surplus of eggs that month.
4. How did Snow Flower's father-in-law die?
(a) Fell down a well.
(b) Heart attack.
(c) From the knife he was using to kill a pig.
5. What is Snow Flower's appearance when Lily visits her in "Into the Clouds"?
(a) Aged and dressed in rags.
(b) Wearing a nice blue jacket.
(c) Older and dressed in her favorite blue silk.
(d) Dressed in fine silk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the men on the mountain ask their wives to go back down the mountain for supplies?
2. What did Lily's mother-in-law teach her about a wife's duty to obey?
3. What does Snow Flower's husband leave the fire to go and find?
4. What does Lily burn from the flame of an oil lamp?
5. Where does Lily take her children after the servants flee her in-laws' house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lily respond when she hears Snow Flower sing the Letter of Vituperation?
2. Are Snow Flower and Lily's husbands supportive of their laotong friendship after the rebellion?
3. How do Lily's feet feel as she climbs the steep mountain path?
4. Is Snow Flower welcomed in Lily's new home?
5. Describe Lily's reunion with her husband after she comes down from the mountain.
6. Describe Snow Flower and Lily's complaints about their mothers-in-law.
7. What do Lily and Snow Flower do while at the Temple of Gupo when they become pregnant?
8. What did Lily's husband do when the battles came to Tongkou?
9. How does Lily try to help Snow Flower on her deathbed?
10. Describe the Letter of Vituperation.
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)