|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lily do to Snow Flower when she loses control of her emotions at the Sitting and Singing ceremony of her neighbor?
(a) Hugs her.
(b) Kneels before her in appreciation.
(c) Pushes her out of her chair.
(d) She humiliates Snow Flower.
2. What did Lily's mother-in-law teach her about a wife's duty to obey?
(a) Obey at all costs.
(b) Speak quietly and serve well.
(c) Follow your husband's example.
(d) Obey, obey, obey, then do what you want.
3. Why does Lily approve her husband's decision to hire a tutor for their son?
(a) She would like him to take the imperial exams.
(b) She has too much to do to take care of him.
(c) She is glad to have him out of the women's chamber.
(d) He is not her favorite child.
4. Who is Peony?
(a) Lily's cousin.
(b) Snow Flower's granddaughter.
(c) A servant.
(d) A farmer's daughter.
5. What do women in pairs look for in the woods to make soup for Snow Flower?
(a) Bark, weeds, and roots.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Lily and Snow Flower agree on about the binding of their daughters' feet?
2. What does Lily call her mother when she returns home after Snow Flower's marriage?
3. Where do Lily and Snow Flower stay as they travel home after praying for the birth of healthy sons at the Temple of Gupo?
4. Who does Lily say is the most important person she must build a relationship with in her married life?
5. What is Snow Flower's appearance when Lily visits her in "Into the Clouds"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lily respond when she hears Snow Flower sing the Letter of Vituperation?
2. Why does Lily want to wait for her husband when the Taipings arrive in Snow Flower's village?
3. How does Lily care for her mother-in-law when she becomes sick with typhoid?
4. Does Lily miss her husband?
5. Are Snow Flower and Lily's husbands supportive of their laotong friendship after the rebellion?
6. What do the sworn sisters tell Lily about Snow Flower?
7. What do Lily and Snow Flower do while at the Temple of Gupo when they become pregnant?
8. How does Snow Flower's husband react when their second son dies from the cold?
9. What is Snow Flower's message on the fan that Lotus delivers to Lily during the Mid-Autumn Festival?
10. What does Lily do for Snow Flower's granddaughter, Peony?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)