|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Snow Flower's father-in-law die?
(b) Heart attack.
(c) From the knife he was using to kill a pig.
(d) Fell down a well.
2. What do women in pairs look for in the woods to make soup for Snow Flower?
(c) Bark, weeds, and roots.
3. Why do the men on the mountain ask their wives to go back down the mountain for supplies?
(a) Their wives will be quicker.
(b) Women are not to be hurt during wartime, so they will be safe.
(c) They don't want to go themselves.
(d) Because they are busy with other things.
4. Where does Lily go at the beginning of "Into the Mountains"?
(a) Snow Flower's home.
(b) Elder brother's home.
(c) Natal home.
(d) Madame Wang's home.
5. What do Snow Flower and her family serve Lily for dinner when she visits in the beginning of "Into the Mountains"?
6. Who do Snow Flower and Lily help up the steep mountain when they have to flee the town?
(a) Snow Flower's mother-in-law.
(b) A pregnant woman.
(c) A elderly neighbor.
(d) Snow Flower's baby.
7. What does Snow Flower sing at her cousin's Sitting and Singing phase that Lily attends and hears?
(a) Letter of Apology.
(b) Song of Sadness.
(c) Letter of Vituperation.
(d) Chant of Wedding Sorrows.
8. What does Snow Flower tell Lily in a letter after they have prayed for sons at the Temple of Gupo?
(a) She is leaving her husband.
(b) She is ill.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is moving.
9. How does Spring Moon kill herself on her wedding night?
(a) Throws herself down a well.
(c) Drinks poison.
(d) Allergic reaction to seafood.
10. What would Snow Flower's husband do if Snow Flower went to live with Lily?
(a) Kill her.
(b) Ask her to come home.
(c) Wish her well.
(d) Feel sad, but then get over it.
11. What does Lily teach Snow Flower's eldest son in the mountains?
(a) How to cook.
(c) How to write characters.
(d) The lessons she overheard her own son learn from the tutor.
12. How old is Lily when she has her first child?
13. How does Lily react when Snow Flower is despondent because her husband beats her?
(a) By praying for her.
(b) With compassion.
(c) With impatience.
(d) By listening and not giving advice.
14. What does Snow Flower's first born son look like?
15. What are days of mothering referred to?
(a) Diaper changing days.
(b) Mother love days.
(c) Baby nursing days.
(d) Rice-and-salt days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Lily and Snow Flower take from the altar of the Temple of Gupo when they are pregnant the first time?
2. How long does Lily walk with Snow Flower and her family when battles erupt between the government and rebel forces?
3. What did Lily's mother-in-law teach her about a wife's duty to obey?
4. Why does Lily's aunt avoid her during her pregnancy?
5. What does Uncle Lu have on his face that he likes to play with?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)