|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Lily go at the beginning of "Into the Mountains"?
(a) Madame Wang's home.
(b) Snow Flower's home.
(c) Natal home.
(d) Elder brother's home.
2. Where do Lily and Snow Flower stay as they travel home after praying for the birth of healthy sons at the Temple of Gupo?
(a) Madame Wang's home.
(c) Snow Flower's home.
(d) Lily's home.
3. What does Lily do to Snow Flower when she loses control of her emotions at the Sitting and Singing ceremony of her neighbor?
(a) She humiliates Snow Flower.
(b) Pushes her out of her chair.
(c) Hugs her.
(d) Kneels before her in appreciation.
4. Who comes to Lily's door asking her to go to Snow Flower because she is dying?
(a) The Butcher.
(b) Madame Wang.
(c) Spring Moon.
(d) Sworn sisters.
5. What does Snow Flower's first born son look like?
6. Where do Lily and Snow Flower continue to meet after the rebellion?
(a) At the local tea shop.
(b) At Lily's home in Tongkou.
(c) At festivals in Puwei.
(d) At the local market.
7. What does Lily teach Peony?
(a) Nu shu.
(b) How to make congee.
(d) How to haul water.
8. Who do Lily and Snow Flower find sitting around a fire up in the mountain?
(b) Elder brother and his family.
(c) Madame Wang.
(d) Friends from Jintian.
9. Why does Lily sweep three times a day in her sleeping chamber?
(a) To frighten away ghosts hunting for prey.
(b) There are too many bugs.
(c) She has nothing else to do.
(d) She is worried about dirt.
10. What arrives in Tongkou in the hot summer months after the Emperor dies?
(b) Chicken pox.
11. What would Snow Flower's husband do if Snow Flower went to live with Lily?
(a) Kill her.
(b) Ask her to come home.
(c) Feel sad, but then get over it.
(d) Wish her well.
12. What kind of animal personality does Lily say Snow Flower's mother-in-law has?
13. What does Lily see outside the palanquin window as she travels between her natal and husband's home in "Temple of Gupo"?
(a) Rice fields and taro crop.
(b) The ocean.
(c) Fields of sunflowers.
(d) A lake.
14. What does Lily's husband plan to buy in Guilin and bring back to sell in their village?
(b) Gun powder.
15. How does Snow Flower's husband help the refugees in the mountains?
(a) He cooks them food.
(b) He gives them clothing.
(c) He teaches them to sing.
(d) He was their guardian and champion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lily's aunt avoid her during her pregnancy?
2. How old is Snow Flower's first born son when they are in the mountains?
3. What does Snow Flower's mother-in-law change about the food she gives Snow Flower after they come home from the mountain?
4. Why doesn't Lily invite Snow Flower to her son's one-month celebration?
5. How much longer does Snow Flower have before she dies after Lily comes to stay with her?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)