|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Snow Flower's first born son when they are in the mountains?
2. What does Lotus deliver to Lily from Snow Flower during the Midi-Autumn Festival?
(a) Tea cakes.
3. Why are eggs served to guests at the one-month party for Lily's son?
(a) Symbols of life dyed red for celebration.
(b) They are the favorite food of the villagers.
(c) They are symbols of childhood toys.
(d) There was a surplus of eggs that month.
4. What would Snow Flower's husband do if Snow Flower went to live with Lily?
(a) Wish her well.
(b) Feel sad, but then get over it.
(c) Ask her to come home.
(d) Kill her.
5. What happens to the women whose bound feet break as they walk up the mountain?
(a) They are left to die.
(b) They get a ride in a cart.
(c) They must be brought back down the mountain.
(d) They are carried up the mountain in a stretcher.
6. How much longer does Snow Flower have before she dies after Lily comes to stay with her?
(a) One month.
(b) One week.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Twenty-two days.
7. What taboo do Lily and Snow Flower break?
(a) Eating spicy food when they are pregnant.
(b) Staying outside all day.
(c) Creating a laotong match between their unmatching daughters.
(d) Washing in the river water.
8. What does Lily say about Snow Flower's voice when she chants the Yao story?
(b) Just a whispher.
(c) Too loud.
(d) Clear and beatiful.
9. What is one of the things that Lily's mother tells her not to do while she is pregnant with her first child?
(a) Don't climb hills.
(b) Don't eat rice.
(c) Don't sit for too long.
(d) Don't drink tea.
10. How long does it take Lily's feet to heal in the mountains?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) One year.
(c) Almost a month.
(d) Six days.
11. Who does Lily say is the most important person she must build a relationship with in her married life?
(c) Husband's sister.
12. Why doesn't Lily invite Snow Flower to her son's one-month celebration?
(a) She lives too far away.
(b) Snow Flower said she would not come even if invited.
(c) Lily no longer cares for her.
(d) Her mother-in-law does not allow it.
13. How old is Lily when she has her first child?
14. What do Lily and Snow Flower discuss when they visit the Temple of Gupo after the rebellion ends?
(a) Their daughters' footbinding methods.
(b) The best way to embroider a handkerchief.
(c) Prices of corn.
(d) Their husband's friends.
15. What are days of mothering referred to?
(a) Diaper changing days.
(b) Mother love days.
(c) Rice-and-salt days.
(d) Baby nursing days.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lily say she is too old for in "Regret"?
2. Who does Lily recommend Snow Flower should see to help her conceive a son?
3. Who is Peony?
4. Who transports notes between Lily and Snow Flower after their sons are born?
5. Where do Lily and Snow Flower continue to meet after the rebellion?
This section contains 524 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)