|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Lily and Snow Flower continue to meet after the rebellion?
(a) At the local tea shop.
(b) At Lily's home in Tongkou.
(c) At festivals in Puwei.
(d) At the local market.
2. What does Snow Flower say about her husband's family in "Sons"?
(a) They are kind toward her.
(b) They do not make her work.
(c) They do not like fun.
(d) They love to tell stories.
3. What other ceremonies is Lily's song about Snow Flower used in?
(a) Sung during wedding festivities.
(c) Religious Ceremonies.
4. How much longer does Snow Flower have before she dies after Lily comes to stay with her?
(a) One month.
(b) Twenty-two days.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) One week.
5. What do Snow Flower and Lily have to do for Snow Flower's children when they take a rest from walking up the mountain?
(a) Read a book to them.
(b) Gather berries for them to eat.
(c) Rub their hands.
(d) Fan them to cool them off.
6. What does Snow Flower's husband say when his mother suggests they should not give food to Lily?
(a) He says he will feed Lily less than the others.
(b) He agrees with her.
(c) If he brings her back alive, there may be a reward.
(d) To stop being selfish.
7. What does Snow Flower pull out from under her tunic while she and Lily stand at the cliff's edge after her son has died?
(a) The secret fan.
(b) A piece of meat.
(c) A hat and gloves.
(d) An extra blanket.
8. What does Lily say about Snow Flower's voice when she chants the Yao story?
(a) Too loud.
(b) Just a whispher.
(d) Clear and beatiful.
9. Why doesn't Lily invite Snow Flower to her son's one-month celebration?
(a) She lives too far away.
(b) Snow Flower said she would not come even if invited.
(c) Her mother-in-law does not allow it.
(d) Lily no longer cares for her.
10. What does Lily realize the purpose of nu shu is in "Sons"?
(a) To cover up their laziness.
(b) To give women something to do.
(c) To give women a voice.
(d) To please mothers-in-law.
11. What does Uncle Lu have on his face that he likes to play with?
(b) Mole hairs.
(c) Long eyebrow hair.
12. How does Lily describe her in-laws' home?
(c) Made of wood.
13. What does Lily agonize over as her husband travels to Guilin?
(b) His bad leg.
(c) His safety.
14. What does Lily burn from the flame of an oil lamp?
(a) Her own letter.
(b) Nu shu writing from her mother-in-law.
(c) Her collection of poetry.
(d) Snow Flower's letter.
15. What does Snow Flower's first born son look like?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Lily and Snow Flower take from the altar of the Temple of Gupo when they are pregnant the first time?
2. When Lily returns to her family after Snow Flower is married, how does she feel about seeing them?
3. Where does Lily go at the beginning of "Into the Mountains"?
4. Who does Lily recommend Snow Flower should see to help her conceive a son?
5. What would Snow Flower's husband do if Snow Flower went to live with Lily?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)