|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Lily spend her childhood?
(a) San Francisco.
(b) New York.
2. Who is Madame Wang related to by birth?
(a) Lily's husband.
(b) Snow Flower's father.
(c) Snow Flower's mother.
(d) Lily's mother-in-law.
3. What did Third Sister do when her mother wanted to bind her feet?
(a) Remained stoically silent.
(b) Committed suicide.
(c) Ran away to another town.
(d) Screamed and struggled in protest.
4. What did Lily's father receive from the groom's family that made him one of the richest men in the village?
(a) Two goats.
(d) Water buffalo.
5. How long does Lily fast before her wedding?
(a) Two days.
(b) Seven days.
(c) Four days.
(d) One day.
6. Whose father takes the pipe too often?
(a) Snow Flower's.
(b) Elder Sister's.
(c) Beautiful Moon's.
7. What is Snow Flower's father addicted to?
8. What clothing does Snow Flower change into when she visits Lily in "Learning"?
(a) Her own clothes that she brought.
(b) Clothes from Madame Wang.
(c) Pants and a shirt.
(d) An outfit Lily's mother made for her.
9. What does Lily say was out of balance and needed to be put right when Beautiful Moon died?
(a) The level of her bed.
(b) Aunt's old rocking chair.
(c) The steps to the garden.
(d) Yin and yang.
10. What is Lily's reaction when her mother slaps her face after the matchmaker's visit?
11. What does Lily help Snow Flower do after she learns of her family's misfortune?
(a) Rent a room in another village.
(b) Learn to become a matchmaker.
(c) Clean Snow Flower's house.
(d) Teach her mother to garden.
12. Who is never allowed inside Lily's family home again after talking negatively about Snow Flower's family?
(a) Mr. Wang.
(b) Madame Wang.
(c) Mr. Lu.
(d) Madame Gao.
13. What book does Snow Flower use to teach Lily?
(a) Nu Shu for Beginners.
(b) Literary Symbols and Their Meaning.
(c) The Women's Classic.
(d) The Domestic Arts.
14. What qualities do Lily and Snow Flower share?
(a) Same nose.
(b) Same height, beauty, and footbinding date.
(c) Same laugh.
(d) Same last name.
15. Who does Snow Flower say saved her family?
(a) Lily's mother.
(b) Madame Wang.
(c) Sun Flower's Elder Sister.
(d) Her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Lily when she has her feet bound?
2. What is sold at the fair booth that Snow Flower tells Lily about when they go to the Temple of Gupo?
3. What does Diviner Hu announce to the family about Lily?
4. Who does Lily help with the outdoor chores when she is five?
5. What was Lily's favorite part of the day when she was five?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)