* Lily, the narrator,is an elderly widow.
* She realizes her need for love has caused every problem in her life, beginning with the breaking and binding of her feet at a young age.
* She has always done what was expected of her, except for writing thoughts and promises on her fan with Snow Flower.
* Snow Flower was the most important person in her life.
* Lily knows much about the hardships of women's lives, but little about men's.
* Lily feels as though she has waged a "man's battle" between her true nature and the person she should have been.
* Her words will be burned when she dies to be taken into the afterlife.
* Lily acknowledges her mother's teachings and also her sharp criticism.
* Lily was a child in Puwei during Emperor Daoguang's reign.
* She descends from the Yao clans.
* Her father is a farmer...
This section contains 2,559 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)