Sitting Quietly and Milk Years
• Lily, the narrator,is an elderly widow.
• She realizes her need for love has caused every problem in her life, beginning with the breaking and binding of her feet at a young age.
• She has always done what was expected of her, except for writing thoughts and promises on her fan with Snow Flower.
• Snow Flower was the most important person in her life.
• Lily knows much about the hardships of women's lives, but little about men's.
• Lily feels as though she has waged a "man's battle" between her true nature and the person she should have been.
• Her words will be burned when she dies to be taken into the afterlife.
• Lily acknowledges her mother's teachings and also her sharp criticism.
• Lily was a child in Puwei during Emperor Daoguang's reign.
• She descends from the Yao clans.
• Her father is a farmer...
This section contains 2,559 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)