|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the boys put in the microwave at their dad's house?
2. Why does Matt not want Lizabeth to cry?
3. What happens when the intruder leaves in Chapter 7?
4. What does Lizabeth decide to do the morning after her argument with Matt?
5. What does Matt think that the thought of marriage does to Lizabeth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Choose one of the several family relationships described in the novel and outline its importance to the story.
2. In fairly typical romance-novel fashion, the story wraps up with Matt and Lizabeth marrying and living happily ever after. Given the short time they've known each other and the tumultuous relationship they have had up to that point, how believable do you find the story? If you find it quite believable, why? What is it about the genre that makes it so popular, and how does that apply to this book?
3. What does Lizabeth tell her neighbors to explain why she has a naked man in her house?
4. How does Richard Hastings find out about Lizabeth, and why does he choose to flash her?
5. Compare/contrast Matt and Paul and their parenting styles.
6. As Lizabeth spends most of the barbecue trying to identify the flasher, one man in particular catches her eye. What does she do to try to find out if he is the flasher, and what is the result?
7. After arguing the night before, Lizabeth finds herself alone in the morning and much of the rest of the day. What does Matt say that expresses the confusion he is feeling about their relationship when they finally do meet up?
8. What makes "Smitten" a typical romance novel?
9. There is an obvious use of irony in Chapter 9 when Richard Hastings makes a particular statement. What is that statement, and why is it ironic?
10. When Lizabeth and Matt finally get home from their jog at 2 a.m., they find Elsie and the boys in the front yard. Describe their time with Paul. What was the end result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
True happiness seems to be the basis for most, if not all, romance novels. Both of the main characters are seeking true happiness by taking very different paths that somehow converge in the end. What path does Matt believe will lead to true happiness? Why do you think he believes this? What path does Lizabeth believe leads to true happiness? Why do you think that she believes this? At what point do their paths converge?
Essay Topic 2
Matt's motorcycle is huge and shiny, and it terrifies Lizabeth. This item is heavy with symbolism. What does it represent and why?
Essay Topic 3
The flasher can be symbolic of many things. What do you think the flasher symbolizes and why?
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)