|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lizabeth say the people in her neighborhood do as an intellectual pursuit?
(a) Go to the opera.
(b) Write editorials.
(c) Grow grass.
(d) Attend block parties.
2. What happens when Matt and Lizabeth ignore the intruder in the back yard?
(a) He begins to cry.
(b) He throws a shoe through the window.
(c) He begins yelling obscenities at them.
(d) He leaves.
3. What does Lizabeth say about the man Matt thinks is the intruder?
(a) That the man couldn't possibly be the intruder.
(b) That the man waves like the intruder.
(c) That the man is the intruder.
(d) That she couldn't possibly know if he is the intruder.
4. Lizabeth imagines Matt protecting her from what?
(d) The outside world.
5. What does Matt buy for Lizabeth that she says she can't accept?
(a) A new car.
(b) An engagement ring.
(c) A big-screen TV.
(d) A bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does Lizabeth awaken after the morning after her argument with Matt?
2. What do the furniture people do with Lizabeth's double bed?
3. What does Matt say he doesn't want his son to have?
4. What does Matt ask Lizabeth to do in return for helping her exercise?
5. What is the name of Matt's sister who used to cook him bacon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Choose one of the several family relationships described in the novel and outline its importance to the story.
2. After arguing the night before, Lizabeth finds herself alone in the morning and much of the rest of the day. What does Matt say that expresses the confusion he is feeling about their relationship when they finally do meet up?
3. What does Lizabeth tell her neighbors to explain why she has a naked man in her house?
4. What agreement is struck between Matt and Lizabeth after their jog, and why do you think Matt's purpose is in entering into that agreement?
5. Matt buys a new bed for Lizabeth, inciting another angry outburst from her. What does the new bed represent to Lizabeth?
6. When Lizabeth and Matt finally get home from their jog at 2 a.m., they find Elsie and the boys in the front yard. Describe their time with Paul. What was the end result?
7. Compare/contrast Matt and Paul and their parenting styles.
8. On the way home from Richard Hastings' house, what does Lizabeth tell Matt that surprises him, and how does she go about telling him?
9. A comic moment takes place in Chapter 8 when Matt tackles the man he thinks is the flasher. Why did Matt tackle the man, and who is he?
10. What makes "Smitten" a typical romance novel?
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)