|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jason do at the pool that makes Paul angry?
(a) Plays Marco Polo.
(b) Pushes Paul in the pool.
(c) Jumps into the deep end when he can't swim.
(d) Brings a ball even though no toys are allowed.
2. What big news does Lizabeth give Matt while they sit in her car in the carriage house?
(a) That he must move out.
(b) That she wants to marry him.
(c) That she is pregnant.
(d) That she has taken a new job.
3. What does Matt say that hurts Lizabeth's feelings while he is eating potato salad?
(a) "You are uncomfortably close."
(b) "Being married to you leaves a lot to be desired."
(c) "You don't have to freak out."
(d) "You don't know how to cook."
4. What happens when the children begin chasing the dog?
(a) Jason is hit by a car.
(b) None of the above.
(c) The dog gets away.
(d) The dog is hit by a car.
5. Who does Matt say tackled him when he ran out of the house naked?
(a) Nosy neighbors.
(b) The intruder.
(c) The Keystone Kops.
(d) The tree in the yard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Paul want the boys to accompany him for the weekend?
2. What happens when the intruder leaves in Chapter 7?
3. In Chapter 7, where does Lizabeth say Matt's home is?
4. How many sisters does Matt have?
5. How many brothers does Matt have?
Short Essay Questions
1. There is an obvious use of irony in Chapter 9 when Richard Hastings makes a particular statement. What is that statement, and why is it ironic?
2. As Lizabeth spends most of the barbecue trying to identify the flasher, one man in particular catches her eye. What does she do to try to find out if he is the flasher, and what is the result?
3. How does the flasher make up for his actions after losing his temper at being ignored by Matt and Lizabeth? Describe his appearance when he makes arrangements.
4. What was Paul's ulterior motive for wanting to take the kids on a vacation?
5. On the way home from Richard Hastings' house, what does Lizabeth tell Matt that surprises him, and how does she go about telling him?
6. The reader learns more about Matt's childhood in Chapter 9 than throughout the rest of the book. Was his childhood happy? What happened to his mother? Describe his childhood relationship with his father.
7. What does Matt do to distract Jason and Billy from their worries in Chapter 9?
8. What happens while Matt is cooking breakfast in Chapter 8?
9. A comic moment takes place in Chapter 8 when Matt tackles the man he thinks is the flasher. Why did Matt tackle the man, and who is he?
10. Lizabeth seems to have many preconceived notions about what a perfect father should be. In her mind, Matt falls short in several of these categories. What does she say in Chapter 7 that expresses these notions and where Matt falls short?
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)