|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the conference on the Future of Criticism being held?
2. What is Morris reading on the plane to Milan?
3. What has Persse written in the snow?
4. Who is Alice Kauffman?
5. Who does Skinner's first choice recommend to give a reader's report on McGarrigle's book proposal?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Philip Swallow's first day in Turkey go?
2. What personal story does Robin Dempsey tell Persse at the sherry reception?
3. What joke does Angelica play on both Robin Dempsey and Persse?
4. When Hilary tells Morris that she "made her bed," what does she mean?
5. Describe Joy as Philip first saw her.
6. What are Morris Zapp's reasons for jogging?
7. Who is Arthur Kingfisher?
8. How did Persse get his current job in Limerick?
9. What does Robin Dempsey's Centre of Computational Statistics tell Ronald Frobisher about his writing?
10. What did Philip think about in the twenty minutes the damaged plane spent circling Genoa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David Lodge uses many different settings in the telling of "Small World." Using at least three separate examples, discuss how he uses settings to achieve different effects, for character development and plotline, among others.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the text to illustrate, explain what a quest is and how it is used in this story.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the way that Morris Zapp and Persse McGarrigle view sexuality, using at least three examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)