|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Morris leave the room to get before Philip tells his story?
2. Who does Cheryl Summerbee seat next to Persse on the plane?
3. What author was Morris Zapp's specialty?
4. What do Philip and Morris drink as a nightcap?
5. What drug does Song-Mi Lee give Arthur Kingfisher?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Morris' advice to Philip regarding his conference?
2. What is Ronald Frobisher's opinion on literary prizes?
3. When Hilary tells Morris that she "made her bed," what does she mean?
4. What personal story does Robin Dempsey tell Persse at the sherry reception?
5. How is Rodney Wainwright attempting to move past his writer's block?
6. Why is Persse's Aunty Nuala not at home when he goes to visit?
7. Why does Ronald Frobisher hold such a grudge against Rudyard Parkinson?
8. How does Cheryl Summerbee keep from getting bored at work?
9. Describe Akira Sakazaki's home.
10. Who is Arthur Kingfisher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is the literary device "deus ex machina" used in the novel "Small World"? Cite at least three examples of its use and discuss both its efficacy as a plot device and its connection to the myriad mythological allusions used in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
There are many literary allusions scattered throughout "Small World." Pick three and explain how they are used and what their connection is to the text.
Essay Topic 3
David Lodge uses many different settings in the telling of "Small World." Using at least three separate examples, discuss how he uses settings to achieve different effects, for character development and plotline, among others.
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)