|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Akira Sakazaki have planned for after work?
2. What does the British Council representative advise Philip Swallow to take with him?
3. What does Robin Dempsey tell Frobisher is his most-used word?
4. What evidence does Hilary Swallow have of her husband's cheating?
5. What is Persse drinking at the Royal Academy of Literature's prizegiving party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Morris Zapp's reasons for jogging?
2. What is Miss Sybil Maiden's overarching theory about literature?
3. What two letters from London are awaiting Persse McGarrigle when he returns to Limerick?
4. What does Robin Dempsey's Centre of Computational Statistics tell Ronald Frobisher about his writing?
5. How does Fulvia Morgana reconcile her Marxist philosophy with her wealthy lifestyle?
6. When Hilary tells Morris that she "made her bed," what does she mean?
7. Describe Akira Sakazaki's home.
8. How is Rodney Wainwright attempting to move past his writer's block?
9. What joke does Angelica play on both Robin Dempsey and Persse?
10. Why is Persse's Aunty Nuala not at home when he goes to visit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the major, or biggest, theme of this story? Support your thesis with examples from the story.
Essay Topic 2
In Lausanne, Michel Tardieu says to Persse, "If one is not a subject or an object, one must be a helper or an opponent." Using at least three characters as examples, discuss the meaning of this statement. What is Lodge trying to say? Do you agree? Why or why not? Be specific.
Essay Topic 3
What is David Lodge's opinion of writing style? What is it? How is it defined? What is important about it? Please use examples to support your answer.
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)