|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Michel Tardieu's lover?
2. What type of car does Siegfried von Turpitz drive?
3. What has Persse written in the snow?
4. In what country does Fulvia Morgana teach?
5. What is the epilogue to Philip's story?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cheryl Summerbee keep from getting bored at work?
2. When Hilary tells Morris that she "made her bed," what does she mean?
3. Why is Persse's Aunty Nuala not at home when he goes to visit?
4. What did Philip think about in the twenty minutes the damaged plane spent circling Genoa?
5. Why does Ronald Frobisher hold such a grudge against Rudyard Parkinson?
6. Describe the atmosphere Philip sets to tell his story about Joy.
7. Why is Dr. Akbil Borak reading the entire "Collected Works of William Hazlitt"?
8. What does Morris Zapp see as the beauty of academic life?
9. Who is Arthur Kingfisher?
10. What is Morris' advice to Philip regarding his conference?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using at least three characters as evidence, discuss Lodge's use of impotence as a theme in this novel.
Essay Topic 2
How is the literary device "deus ex machina" used in the novel "Small World"? Cite at least three examples of its use and discuss both its efficacy as a plot device and its connection to the myriad mythological allusions used in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
What is Robin Dempsey's relationship with computers both before and after the arrival of "ELIZA"? How does it change, and why? Is it healthy? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)