|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people are attending the conference in Rummidge?
2. What author was Morris Zapp's specialty?
3. Why is Matthew Swallow home from school?
4. What is "ELIZA"?
5. What evidence does Hilary Swallow have of her husband's cheating?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Akira Sakazaki's home.
2. Why is Persse's Aunty Nuala not at home when he goes to visit?
3. How does Fulvia Morgana reconcile her Marxist philosophy with her wealthy lifestyle?
4. What does Robin Dempsey's Centre of Computational Statistics tell Ronald Frobisher about his writing?
5. What is the minor argument between Michel Tardieu and Albert about?
6. Describe Joy as Philip first saw her.
7. How did Persse get his current job in Limerick?
8. When Hilary tells Morris that she "made her bed," what does she mean?
9. How does Philip Swallow's first day in Turkey go?
10. What two letters from London are awaiting Persse McGarrigle when he returns to Limerick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
David Lodge uses many different settings in the telling of "Small World." Using at least three separate examples, discuss how he uses settings to achieve different effects, for character development and plotline, among others.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the purpose of the character Miss Sybil Maiden. Is she symbolic? If so, of what? What role does she play in the story?
Essay Topic 3
What role does Cheryl Summerbee play in the story of this novel? Does it change over the course of the novel?
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)