|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of Desiree's book?
(a) "What Does a Man Want?"
(c) "Frailty Thy Name is Man."
(d) "No Fury Like a Man Scorned."
2. Who does Cheryl Summerbee seat next to Persse on the plane?
(a) Another professor.
(b) A mother with three young children.
(c) An elderly woman who is deaf.
3. What is at Helicon, New Hampshire?
(a) A writers' colony.
(b) An all-women's university.
(c) A major art museum.
(d) A rehabilitation center.
4. Which of these is not one of Morris Zapp's pillars of the "global campus"?
(a) The printing press.
(b) Xerox machines.
(c) Airplane travel.
5. Who does Skinner's first choice recommend to give a reader's report on McGarrigle's book proposal?
(a) Michel Tardieu.
(b) Philip Swallow.
(c) Siegfried von Turpitz.
(d) Rudyard Parkinson.
6. Where does Persse McGarrigle sleep after returning to Ireland?
(a) In a bus.
(b) At home.
(c) In a hotel.
(d) In a haystack.
7. What does the British Council representative advise Philip Swallow to take with him?
(a) A flashlight.
(c) Toilet paper.
8. What type of car does Siegfried von Turpitz drive?
(a) A Volkswagen.
(b) A BMW.
(c) A Volvo.
(d) A Saab.
9. What disrupts the Heathrow terminal while Persse McGarrigle is checking in?
(a) A large group of schoolchildren on a field trip.
(b) A labor strike.
(c) A cat escaped from its carrier.
(d) A tourist group of Muslims praying toward Mecca.
10. What is causing chaos in Italy when Morris and Fulvia arrive?
(a) A major labor strike.
(b) A hurricane.
(c) An unexpected snowstorm.
(d) A power outage.
11. At the end of Part II, Chapter 1, what character is standing at an open window, smiling into the sun?
(a) Joy Simpson.
(b) Hilary Swallow.
(c) Robin Dempsey.
(d) Persse McGarrigle.
12. What is the name of the business on the reverse side of the prayer card Persse reads?
(a) Dancing Queens.
(b) Chamber Maids.
(c) Girls Unlimited.
(d) Sophisticated Ladies.
13. What technical difficulty occurs on Philip's flight home?
(a) Loss of communication with ground control.
(b) Birds flying into the engine.
(c) A drop in cabin pressure.
(d) An engine fire.
14. What is the title of Morris Zapp's new book?
(a) "Lenin and Philosophy."
(c) "Beyond Criticism."
(d) "Could Try Harder."
15. What is Cheryl Summerbee's job?
(a) Check-in clerk at the airport.
(c) Luggage handler at the airport.
(d) Taxi driver.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what disease did Persse suffer during his postgraduate studies?
2. Where is the conference on the Future of Criticism being held?
3. What do Philip and Morris drink as a nightcap?
4. Why is Matthew Swallow home from school?
5. What is the title of the poem that Angelica invites Persse to reenact with her?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)