|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Henry's old name that two of his teachers called him, is what?
2. What makes the announcement at the beginning of the play?
3. When Sabina speaks in an aside, what does she say the play is about?
4. Sabina doesn't want to go outside to borrow some fire because she says it is too what?
5. Why does Mr. Antrobus say it will be good to have a doctor around?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Mrs. Antrobus and Gladys greet Henry in Act 3, what do they say?
2. Why does Mr. Antrobus think that having a doctor in a group of refugees at his house is a good idea?
3. What does Mr. Antrobus say that he used to imagine during the war?
4. What announcement does the play begin with?
5. Why does Sabina not want to go borrow some fire?
6. What roles do the stand-ins play?
7. What does Mrs. Antrobus say will make her happy at the convention?
8. Why does Mrs. Antrobus tell Henry to put down the stone he is carrying?
9. How does Mrs. Antrobus describe a woman's quest for marriage?
10. What request does Sabina make of the audience at the end of Act 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is an explanation the play gives, through its other themes and motifs, for why Sabina refuses to play out the full seduction scene? Cite examples in support of your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What does the Fortune Tellers' long and angry lecture to the audience symbolize? Support your answer with specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
According to the play, how is humanity given value? Use specific examples from the play to support your answer.
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)