|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Sabina steps out of her character, she says the reason that she took the part of Sabina was because she hadn't what?
2. Mr. Antrobus tells Sabina to make a giant pot of what, when the refugees appear?
3. Henry's old name that two of his teachers called him, is what?
4. When Sabina appears at the end of Act 2, Part 1, what is she wearing?
5. Sabina says that a few years ago, everyone got through what event, "by the skin of our teeth"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sabina not want to play out the seduction scene?
2. What are the most important achievements for Mr. and Mrs. Antrobus, according to the loudspeaker announcement?
3. When Sabina begins to repeat her lines from Act 1, she breaks character and tells the audience what?
4. What reason does "Henry" give for being filled with the desire to kill?
5. When Mrs. Antrobus and Gladys greet Henry in Act 3, what do they say?
6. Describe the set in the beginning of Act 3.
7. What happens when the Telegraph Boy sings a song about the Antrobus' anniversary?
8. Who are "people of straw" according to Sabina?
9. Why does Mr. Antrobus yell for the fires to be put out?
10. What do the refugees talk about before Mrs. Antrobus begins talking about her children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the play have its characters "break character" so often? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What do Sabina's words about the actors having to do the play, "again and again," mean in the context of the themes, motifs and other actions in the play? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Using specific evidence from the play, answer the following question: Why is the war never named?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)