|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asked the refugees to come to the Antrobus' house?
2. When Sabina appears at the end of Act 2, Part 1, what is she wearing?
3. After Sabina comes in with the news that Henry has thrown a stone at a neighbor, what appears on Henry's forehead?
4. What was found, according to the announcement, with the inscription "From Eva to Adam"?
5. When Sabina steps out of her character, she says that she _______ the play.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sabina say when she steps out of character for the first time?
2. Describe Henry's appearance in Act 3 when he sees Sabina.
3. What do the refugees talk about before Mrs. Antrobus begins talking about her children?
4. When does the true reconciliation for Henry and Mr. Antrobus occur?
5. Why does Mr. Antrobus yell for the fires to be put out?
6. What does Mrs. Antrobus tell Henry and Gladys to do when Mr. Antrobus comes home from his hard day at work?
7. What does Mrs. Antrobus say will make her happy at the convention?
8. What happens when the Telegraph Boy sings a song about the Antrobus' anniversary?
9. Who are "people of straw" according to Sabina?
10. According to Sabina, how do the Antrobuses treat each new child that dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using specific examples to support your answer, explain how the play, or a section of this play, is an allegorical tale? What is the allegory being told?
Essay Topic 2
How does the play, or parts of the play, represent the motif of destruction and then starting over? Cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What are the three stages in human thought the play represents? What is their importance? Support your answer with examples from the play.
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)