|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes the announcement at the beginning of the play?
2. Who slips past the barricade and comes into the house and becomes comfortable?
3. What role does Sabina play in the Antrobus household?
4. A society proclaiming the end of the world postponed it because they saw what?
5. What does the slide show say Mrs. Antrobus invented?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Antrobus tell Henry and Gladys to do when Mr. Antrobus comes home from his hard day at work?
2. Why does Mr. Antrobus vow to continue fighting Henry?
3. Why does Mr. Antrobus want his books?
4. Describe the wedding ring that was found at the beginning of the play.
5. What request does Sabina make of the audience at the end of Act 1?
6. What does Sabina speak about in her monologue at the beginning of the play?
7. When Sabina begins to repeat her lines from Act 1, she breaks character and tells the audience what?
8. According to Sabina, how do the Antrobuses treat each new child that dies?
9. In Mrs. Antrobus' speech to the international society of mammals, what does she list as her more important discoveries?
10. What roles do the stand-ins play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Act 3, Part 1 begin with the rehearsal of non-actors in the roles of philosophers? What message does this send? Use examples from the play to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is an explanation the play gives, through its other themes and motifs, for why Sabina refuses to play out the full seduction scene? Cite examples in support of your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What are the three types of irony and how does the play use them? Cite examples from the play in support of your answer.
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)