Act 1, Part 1
• The play begins with an announcement over the loudspeaker.
• The announcement says that a society proclaiming the end of the world postpones the arrival of that event for another 24 hours because they saw the sun rise.
• The announcement also says it is August and a wall of ice is moving into America.
• A wedding ring was found, inscribed with "From Eva to Adam" and a verse from the Bible.
• A slide show begins showing Mr. Antrobus, the inventor of the wheel, his home in New Jersey, and Mrs. Antrobus, inventor of the apron.
• Their children, Henry and Gladys and their maid, Sabina, are also introduced.
• Sabina appears, speaking a long and comic monologue about each family member and their good and bad qualities.
• When Sabina speaks about Henry, she implies that he hit his older brother with a rock and was investigated by the police.
This section contains 4,014 words
(approx. 14 pages at 300 words per page)