|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are Spike Cohen and Roland Abu Hadee?
2. Who mends Can 'o Beans with a welding torch?
3. What is Ellen Cherry's first job out of art school?
4. Boomer sells one of his sculptures on the condition that he has to go where to assemble it?
5. How does Spoon end up with Ellen Cherry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think that Ellen Cherry wants Boomer to call her "Jezebel" when they are intimate?
2. Describe the sculpture that Boomer is bringing to Jerusalem to reassemble.
3. Describe Ellen Cherry's eye game.
4. Dirty Sock seems to the be the only one of the objects who takes on a particular human's personality. Whose personality does Dirty Sock usurp and do you think this is significant in some way?
5. Robbins writes, "Those people who recognize that imagination is reality's master, we call 'sages', and those who act upon it, we call 'artists.'" What do you think he means by this and why is the distinction important?
6. Describe why Boomer says he feels guilty about his success as an artist.
7. Describe Turn Around Norman's Activity. How is it important in the novel?
8. Patsy suspects Buddy of seeking fame and fortune through his preaching. Does this seem likely to you, based on what you know so far about Buddy?
9. When Buddy goes to answer a knock at his door, he has an erection from reading about a Christian wife who goes to bed with her make-up on. What does this incident tell us about Buddy?
10. The fifth veil has to do with removing the illusion of the value of money. Is money's value really an illusion? Explain why or why not.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Track the allusions to Wolfmother Wallpaper. Who or what is Wolfmother Wallpaper? What function do the allusions to Wolfmother Wallpaper play in the novel, if any?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the significance of Isaac and Ishmael's. Describe the symbolism of the restaurant as well as it's political implications. The narrator talks a lot about this in the fourth veil, when the restaurant is introduced. Include this information, but don't limit your discussion to it. You may also want to consider the significance of Spike and Abu's backgrounds and characters.
Essay Topic 3
Several ideas about art and the role of the artist are explored throughout the novel. Choose three characters and compare their ideas of art and the artist. In order to accomplish this, you have to define or characterize each character's theory or art. You may choose any character that you can develop a coherent theory of art for, but some of the more obvious choices are Ellen Cherry, Boomer, Ultima, and Buddy.
This section contains 1,417 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)