|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What nationality does Salome, the belly dancer, claim to be?
2. What is a matter of tradition for the Belly Dancer?
(a) Belly dancing generally.
(b) Her refusal to speak to men.
(c) Her diet.
(d) The Dance of the Seven Veils.
3. What makes the I & I the most popular restaurant in the city?
(a) The belly dancer.
(b) Ellen Cherry.
(c) The high definition TV.
(d) Ellen Cherry's art.
4. Where does Ellen Cherry have to go to pick up the money Boomer sends her?
(a) The west end post office.
(b) Colonial Pines.
(c) The Guggenheim.
(d) To Ultima's office.
5. What band member is added to the I & I band?
(a) A female tambourine player.
(b) A male pianist.
(c) A female vocalist.
(d) A bass player.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the catch in the belly dancer's assent to perform the Dance of the Seven Veils?
2. What do Verlin and Patsy want to see while they're in New York?
3. Who does Ellen call to see if Boomer is back in town?
4. Who does Painted Stick strike?
5. Who does Ellen Cherry decide to sleep with around Christmas time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the group of objects in Ellen Cherry's underwear drawer.
2. Throughout the novel so far, Ellen Cherry seems to be cosmically bound to the group of objects. As they try to escape, Buddy catches two of them. Which objects does he catch and is Buddy also cosmically connected to the objects? Why?
3. Without art and without Boomer, Ellen Cherry is beginning to feel that life is meaningless. What do you think Robbins is saying about the relationship between the meaning we give our lives and our endeavors and/or relationships?
4. What is Uncle Buddy's reasoning for attempting to blow up the Dome of the Rock?
5. Painted Stick strikes a human in order to save Spoon from being picked up. Explain why he feels so bad about this.
6. Describe what happens to Ellen Cherry when she plays the eye game looking at Spoon.
7. Why does Patsy's question concerning second marriage bother Buddy?
8. Explain the final revelation evoked by The Dance of the Seven Veils.
9. Describe the appeal of the belly dancer, Salome, to the male audience.
10. Is there symbolic significance in the event when Ellen Cherry, having determined to paint again, goes looking for Turn Around Norman and finds Buddy instead?
This section contains 1,495 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)