|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Buddy call Muslims, Buddhists,and Hindus in light of a third world war?
(a) Fried meat.
(c) Dead as doormice.
(d) Cooked goose.
2. Who or What do the objects in the drawer with Spoon think Phoenicians are?
(b) Bagel makers.
(c) Inventors of the Phoenician Blind.
(d) A race of sailors.
3. What gift does Spike give to the I & I ?
(a) New chairs.
(b) A surround sound stereo system.
(c) A high definition TV.
(d) A new stove.
4. Whose name does Ellen Cherry say when she goes to bed, after she has the realization about Buddy's desire for the apocalypse?
(d) Ellen Cherry.
5. Who sends flowers to Ellen Cherry and signs it "the Master of Disguise"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the detective deposit Spoon after leaving the I & I?
2. What does Buddy do instead of going to Jerusalem?
3. Who warns Ellen Cherry about the probable result of destroying the Dome of the Rock?
4. When we first see Painted Stick moving quickly, where is he going?
5. Why do the objects need human help to leave New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. Painted Stick strikes a human in order to save Spoon from being picked up. Explain why he feels so bad about this.
2. Why do you think Salome chooses to perform the Dance of the Seven Veils during the Super Bowl?
3. Explain the final revelation evoked by The Dance of the Seven Veils.
4. Throughout the novel so far, Ellen Cherry seems to be cosmically bound to the group of objects. As they try to escape, Buddy catches two of them. Which objects does he catch and is Buddy also cosmically connected to the objects? Why?
5. Why do you think that Robbins ends the novel with Spoon?
6. Robbins says that Conch Shell plays a major role in encouraging Painted Stick to venture out and find the ocean, but all she does is look out the window. In what way do you think she provides encouragement to Painted Stick?
7. Describe the appeal of the belly dancer, Salome, to the male audience.
8. Without art and without Boomer, Ellen Cherry is beginning to feel that life is meaningless. What do you think Robbins is saying about the relationship between the meaning we give our lives and our endeavors and/or relationships?
9. Describe what happens to Spoon when she falls out of the window.
10. Explain the Vice President's concern regarding Buddy's plan to blow up the Dome of the Rock.
This section contains 1,607 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)