|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the priest do with the statue of Ammon?
2. Why does Pepitamon grow weary of the warrior's life?
3. When Horemheb returns to Egypt, who does he put in charge of the troops?
4. When Sinuhe and Kaptah return to Smyrna after they return from Crete, how do their neighbors react?
5. After the death of Akhnaton, how is the new pharaoh received by the people?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Pharaoh Akhnaton believe he should do about the situation in Egypt once he is informed by Eie and Horemheb? After an evening of thinking what is his answer to the problems in the country? Why is this his decision?
2. When Kaptah and Sinuhe find the droppings from a large animal, what does this indicate will happen as they work through the labyrinth? What will they find?
3. Why does Sinuhe believe he sees the full brutality of man to fellow man during the holy war?
4. There is a belief on the island of Crete that those sacrificed to the god can return if they wish after a few days. They speak of a living god. How does this mirror modern religion? What message is the author trying to tell the reader?
5. Why does Sinuhe believe that if Aton falls, he does not want to live? What does he mean when he says, "it was another speaking?"
6. Why does Sinuhe tell Horemheb that Princess Baketaton asked after him at her mother's deathbed when she did not seem really taken with Horemheb? Do you think Sinuhe believes that there is an attraction there? Or is he flattering Horemheb to get what he wants?
7. When Sinuhe, Minea, and Kaptah arrive in Crete, what does Sinuhe notice about their idea of death?
8. Why is the assassination attempt on Pharaoh Ahknetaton so shocking in Egyptian culture?
9. Why does Sinuhe believe that his revenge against Nefernefernefer is childish? What happens to her? Is this a surprise to Sinuhe? Why? Why not?
10. How does Horemheb react when he discovers that the priests are using human sacrifices after the death of Akhnaton? How does Sinuhe react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of the Hittites is "Right is what we desire and wrong is what our neighbors desire." How does this philosophy outline their ideas about war?
Essay Topic 2
The last paragraph of the novel, Sinuhe talks about what it means to him to be a human being. What does he say and what does he mean? Is this his way of saying that life is eternal?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Kaptah hide Sinuhe's cane? Is there a scene where Sinuhe beats Kaptah? Why does Kaptah not want to remember his origins? Why does he always act like he is trying to forget some horrible act done by Sinuhe towards him?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)