|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Sinuhe walks to the pharaoh's temple upon his return to Egypt, what does he find?
2. How is Aziru executed?
3. What does Sinuhe insist of King Aziru after he is greeted in the desert?
4. When told of neighboring countries preparing for war against Egypt, what does the Pharaoh Akenaton say he has given to the other kings that will make them happy?
5. What does Thothmes ask his students to do as they learn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Pharaoh Akhnaton believe he should do about the situation in Egypt once he is informed by Eie and Horemheb? After an evening of thinking what is his answer to the problems in the country? Why is this his decision?
2. How does Akhnaton not know of any of the suffering going on outside the palace walls?
3. Why does Sinuhe tell Horemheb that Princess Baketaton asked after him at her mother's deathbed when she did not seem really taken with Horemheb? Do you think Sinuhe believes that there is an attraction there? Or is he flattering Horemheb to get what he wants?
4. At the end of Book 14, Sinuhe says that the destiny of Egypt hangs on a woman's whim. Who do you think he is referring to and why?
5. When Sinuhe, Minea, and Kaptah arrive in Crete, what does Sinuhe notice about their idea of death?
6. Who forms an odd alliance to overthrow Pharaoh Akhnaton? Why is this an odd alliance?
7. How does Horemheb react when he discovers that the priests are using human sacrifices after the death of Akhnaton? How does Sinuhe react?
8. What story does the storyteller on the street tell that Merit and Sinuhe hear as they walk toward to Avenue of Rams?
9. On the third day of the battle with the Hittites in the holy war, what happens when Horemheb is no longer content with defense?
10. What other spies had Horemheb sent to Syria? How did they travel and hide themselves? Under what guise did they travel? Do you think they were able to gather more or less information than Sinuhe because he was able to travel as a doctor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The last paragraph of the novel, Sinuhe talks about what it means to him to be a human being. What does he say and what does he mean? Is this his way of saying that life is eternal?
Essay Topic 2
When Ptahor meets Thothmes, what does Thothmes make for Ptahor? Does it please him? What does he do with the piece of art? What does this mean to Ptahor? Why does he take the action he does?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, the author makes direct references to the bible. He uses exact terms like, "they know not what they do" when referring to the priests. What other biblical references do you see in the novel? Why do you think the author felt it was important to interject these references when telling the story?
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)