|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is is important for Kaptah and Sinuhe to get aboard the ship that is leaving Crete after the death of Minea?
2. What do the warriors do to get control of the crowds in Thebes, but not to shed blood?
3. What does Horemheb want his men to shoot at as the attacking forces draw near?
4. How does Kaptah win back money from the guard in Gaza?
5. How does MInea dance in the competition once she reaches Crete?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Sinuhe begins to practice again in Thebes, he finds he is making no money, but is happy. Why is this? What has changed in his attitude? Who does he want to become in his life?
2. When Kaptah and Sinuhe find the droppings from a large animal, what does this indicate will happen as they work through the labyrinth? What will they find?
3. Does Sinuhe believe Pharaoh Ahknaton to be mad? Does he believe his madness? When he says "something in me has matured to receive his message" what does he mean?
4. Why is the assassination attempt on Pharaoh Ahknetaton so shocking in Egyptian culture?
5. Upon returning to Egypt, what does Sinuhe find in the new artwork displayed in the city? Why is it so shocking? What has changed? Why is this significant to the story? Who does this threaten?
6. What is the genius behind Kaptah's investments made for Sinuhe?
7. What does the Pharaoh Akhnaton believe he should do about the situation in Egypt once he is informed by Eie and Horemheb? After an evening of thinking what is his answer to the problems in the country? Why is this his decision?
8. Why does Sinuhe believe that his revenge against Nefernefernefer is childish? What happens to her? Is this a surprise to Sinuhe? Why? Why not?
9. Who forms an odd alliance to overthrow Pharaoh Akhnaton? Why is this an odd alliance?
10. How does Horemheb react when he discovers that the priests are using human sacrifices after the death of Akhnaton? How does Sinuhe react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Horemheb build temples to Aton and sing songs to Aton even though he does not believe in this god? What does this indicate to the reader about his belief as a soldier and warrior? Who does he work for? Is this ever forgotten for him?
Essay Topic 2
Sinuhe talks with Thothmes about asking the question "why?" What is Sinuhe discovering about being inquisitive in the House of Life? Why is asking "why?" so threatening to the others he is studying with? What answer does Thothmes give him? Do you think Thothmes is correct in his answer?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think of the way Kaptah steals from Sinuhe? Judging from Sinuhe's reaction to this knowledge, what does this say about their relationship and the the relationship between all slaves and owners in Egypt? Give examples from the novel of Kaptah's business dealings with Sinuhe's money.
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)