|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Aziru executed?
2. What gift does Horemheb give to Roju?
3. What kind of knots does the Queen Mother Taia tie?
4. Why does Thothmes die?
5. Who tells Sinuhe that Kaptah is dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the assassination attempt on Pharaoh Ahknetaton so shocking in Egyptian culture?
2. How does Akhnaton not know of any of the suffering going on outside the palace walls?
3. What is the genius behind Kaptah's investments made for Sinuhe?
4. Does Sinuhe believe Pharaoh Ahknaton to be mad? Does he believe his madness? When he says "something in me has matured to receive his message" what does he mean?
5. During the battle with the Hittites in the holy war, why do the Hittites not turn and run when they are losing?
6. Upon returning to Egypt, what does Sinuhe find in the new artwork displayed in the city? Why is it so shocking? What has changed? Why is this significant to the story? Who does this threaten?
7. What story does the storyteller on the street tell that Merit and Sinuhe hear as they walk toward to Avenue of Rams?
8. What does the Pharaoh Akhnaton believe he should do about the situation in Egypt once he is informed by Eie and Horemheb? After an evening of thinking what is his answer to the problems in the country? Why is this his decision?
9. Why does Sinuhe believe that his revenge against Nefernefernefer is childish? What happens to her? Is this a surprise to Sinuhe? Why? Why not?
10. How is the young boy Tut described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Pharaoh Akhnaton's idea for teaching all children to read and write fail? What is wrong with the plan? How could it be successful? What about the new script; is this something that should be continued? Why? Why not?
Essay Topic 2
Once Sinuhe discovers his origin, what happens to his personality? How does he view the royal family and those who fight over the crown? Do you think this attitude affects how he is unable to see that Thoth is his very own child?
Essay Topic 3
Often in the novel a swallow or bird flies around in and out of scenes. What do you think this is a symbol of? Note when this happens in the novel and see if there is a pattern?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)