|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What will Kaptah NOT buy with Sinuhe's money?
(b) A new office for his physician's practice.
(c) Buildings and businesses.
(d) A slave-trading house.
2. What does Thothmes ask his students to do as they learn?
(a) To draw from life and not from patterns.
(b) To follow the patterns of the ancients.
(c) To copy the Egyptian art of old.
(d) To abstract the old art.
3. How does Sinuhe get his revenge with Nefernefernefer?
(a) He takes her to the House of Death and gives her to the emblamers.
(b) He publically denounces her.
(c) He tries to drown her in the river.
(d) He kills her.
4. What do the Hittites bring as a gift to the young Tut that goes with him to his tomb?
(a) A blue hippopatumus.
(b) A necklace made of shells.
(c) A knife of blue metal.
(d) A crowns of gold and jewels.
5. How quickly does Akhetaton, the city, come into being?
(a) In 18 months.
(b) In two years.
(c) In a year.
(d) In a month.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kaptah negotiate with Horemheb to win back his wealth after the holy war?
2. When told of neighboring countries preparing for war against Egypt, what does the Pharaoh Akenaton say he has given to the other kings that will make them happy?
3. Who does Sinuhe find held prisoner in Gaza?
4. What does Minotauros wear on his head?
5. What is the one thing that Sinuhe cannot give away in his negotiations with King Aziru?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which daughter does the Pharaoh Akhnaton favor and why?
2. Upon meeting again with Horemheb, Sinuhe argues in defense of Pharaoh Akhnaton's beliefs. Do you think the loss of Minea affects the basic belief system of Sinuhe? How do you think he views religion now? Remember his experience in the House of Life as a student and then look at his experience with Minea and the bull? What do you think his beliefs are now?
3. Why does Sinuhe tell Horemheb that Princess Baketaton asked after him at her mother's deathbed when she did not seem really taken with Horemheb? Do you think Sinuhe believes that there is an attraction there? Or is he flattering Horemheb to get what he wants?
4. What other spies had Horemheb sent to Syria? How did they travel and hide themselves? Under what guise did they travel? Do you think they were able to gather more or less information than Sinuhe because he was able to travel as a doctor?
5. What story does the storyteller on the street tell that Merit and Sinuhe hear as they walk toward to Avenue of Rams?
6. Why does Sinuhe believe that his revenge against Nefernefernefer is childish? What happens to her? Is this a surprise to Sinuhe? Why? Why not?
7. Upon returning to Egypt, what does Sinuhe find in the new artwork displayed in the city? Why is it so shocking? What has changed? Why is this significant to the story? Who does this threaten?
8. During the battle with the Hittites in the holy war, why do the Hittites not turn and run when they are losing?
9. On the third day of the battle with the Hittites in the holy war, what happens when Horemheb is no longer content with defense?
10. What is the art like on the island of Crete? How does this reflect the way the people of Crete live?
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)