|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are the children of Mitanni described by Sinuhe?
(a) Not very pretty.
(b) Like dolls.
(c) Like cherubs.
(d) Like angels.
2. What fate awaits Minea in her homeland?
(a) She will be queen of the sea.
(b) She is to be married to a man chosen for her.
(c) She will return to be a servant for the royal family.
(d) Her lot has alrealdy fallen, and she must be sacrificed to her god.
3. What color are Nefernefernefer's eyes?
4. What trick does Sinuhe perform for the young king of Babylon?
(a) He opens a skull for the king to see.
(b) He changes water into blood.
(c) He shows him a human brain.
(d) He changes water into wine.
5. How does Ptahor arrive at Sinuhe's house?
(a) On a chair borne by two slaves.
(b) He walks.
(c) He arrives in a chariot.
(d) He arrives by horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sinuhe do with his gold before he travels on a ship to Smyrna?
2. Where does Sinuhe bury his parents?
3. What does Sinuhe read for a stranger in the City of the Dead?
4. When Sinuhe admits to the priest that the god Ammon did not speak to him, what do the priests and his classmates do?
5. Why does the new pharaoh bother Horemheb?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Sinuhe enters the House of Life to study, what advise does he take to heart? How does this decision affect his relationships with his classmates and teachers? Is it the right way to behave or did this hurt him in the long run?
2. When Minea, Kaptah and Sinuhe are traveling pretending to be performers, Sinuhe continues to cure the sick. Why does he do this? Cannot this lead to discovery of who they are? Is this dangerous? Why would he do this and put all their lives in danger?
3. Sinuhe speaks of a remedy from the Hittites that cures the body of heat. What is this remedy called today? How do you think the Hittites created this drug?
4. Why do Kipa and Senmut tell their neighbors that Kipa gave birth to Sinuhe? Why does Senmut register Sinuhe in the book of births? What will this do for Sinuhe later in life? What difference will this make in his life?
5. Explain how embalming works int he House of Death. What do the priest tell people who bring their loved ones for preparation for burial? What do they actually do? How does Sinuhe view this?
6. What does Minea bring to Sinuhe? What does she restore in his life? Why is she an important character to his life and to his healing?
7. What is Ptahor's job? Is this a cure for any disease or is this a quick way to die? Why do you think Ptahor is called to the pharaoh?
8. When Sinuhe says that a man who knows the Babylonian language can be understood throughout the world, what does this say about Babylon? If Egypt is the most powerful land on earth, then why would the Egyptian language be the most important language? What does this say about politics of the time?
9. How does Sinuhe feel when the priest gives voice to the statue of Ammon? How does this affect his belief system? What do you think Sinuhe will think later on about religion?
10. What are the two truths of the young prince and Horemheb? How are they in conflict from the beginning? How does Horemheb argue with the sickly young prince about his truth when he first meets him? What does Horemheb fear of the future?
This section contains 1,428 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)