Book 1, The Reed Boat
• Book1, Chapter 1
• Book begins in third year of Sinuhe's exile on the shores of the eastern sea.
• Sinuhe tells the story in first-person narrative recalling his life and begins with his birth.
• Sinuhe will never again smell the black earth which is Egypt.
• Sinuhe explains that his name was once inscribed in the Pharaoh's gold book and served at his right hand and was his friend.
• Sinuhe then explains that, like a man, he wanted more and was finally driven from Thebes in the 6th year of the reign of Pharaoh Horemheb.
• Sinuhe notes that if you've drunk of the Nile water, your throat cannot be quenched any other way.
• Book 1, Chapter 2
• Senmut is Sunuhe's father and a poor physician.
• Senmut is born in the reign of King Amenhotep III in the same year as the "one whose name may no longer be named...
This section contains 13,866 words
(approx. 47 pages at 300 words per page)