Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his goals and motives. Does he achieve his motives? Why? Does he share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his goals clash with other characters? How does the character's goals and motives affect his interaction with other characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the values of 17th century Japan.
1) How different was Japanese culture from European culture in the 17th century?
2) Why did the Japanese see Christianity as a threat to their culture?
3) Does modern Japanese society share any values with 17th century Japan?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the novel.
1) How does Endo use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2) Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)