|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Describe Pembry's condition when Sergeant Tate's men reach the fifth floor.
2. What happens while Clarice is looking for Jame Gumb in the basement?
3. What happens to alert the gathered officers to trouble in the courthouse?
4. In Chapter 43, what is the name of Dr. Lecter's latest victim?
5. In Chapter 51, what does Jack use as a distraction from Bella's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jame Gumb suddenly decide to kill Catherine, and how does he plan to do it?
2. Do you think that Dr. Lecter left the cipher in the toilet for Senator Martin or for Clarice?
3. Once Clarice finds out about Jame Gumb and the FBI team on its way to Illinois to apprehend the killer, how and why does she continue her investigation?
4. How does Clarice end up at Jame Gumb's house, and why does she go in?
5. Does Clarice gain insight into the person Frederica Bimmel was by exploring her room? What conclusions about Frederica does Clarice draw from the brief time she spends at the Bimmel house?
6. What price did Clarice pay to stay on the Buffalo Bill investigation, and do you think she feels the price was too high?
7. What pivotal event happens to Jack Crawford in Chapter 45, and how does he respond to this event?
8. How does the FBI get information on Jame Gumb, and where does it lead them?
9. Do you think Clarice's obsession with Buffalo Bill's victims is beneficial or harmful. Why?
10. Do you think that Jame Gumb would be judged criminally insane or just plain evil?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clarice's childhood is an important part of the story. What events occurred to lead her to a career with the FBI? Do you think if her father had not been in "law enforcement" and had still died at the hands of criminals that Clarice would have chosen the same career path? Why or why not? How do you think her time at the horse (glue) farm affected her future choices? Why? Do you think Clarice will be able to let go of her past and let the "lambs stop screaming"? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Lecter defends Clarice when Miggs insults her by throwing semen at her. Miggs is found dead in his cell shortly thereafter, having swallowed his tongue. It is suspected that Dr. Lecter had a hand in Miggs' death. Dr. Lecter is a master manipulator, but do you think he could actually convince someone to swallow his own tongue? Why or why not? If so, how do you think he would go about that? Do you believe Clarice would look at this defense of her as a woman and a professional as a backhanded compliment? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What events lead to Clarisse's discovery that Buffalo Bill is making a suit out of the skin he takes from his victims? Where was she when she had this realization? What specific occurrence leads to this theory?
This section contains 1,284 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)