|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Stacy Hubka work?
2. What was the name of Frederica's employer?
3. Dr. Lecter leaves a cipher which spells out the biochemical formula C33 H36 N4 O6. What is this the chemical formula for?
4. What does John Brigham hope to do for Clarice once she returns to Quantico?
5. Describe Pembry's condition when Sergeant Tate's men reach the fifth floor.
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Bella's death will help or hinder Jack Crawford in the Buffalo Bill investigation and why?
2. Do you think that Paul Krendler helps or hinders the investigation by giving in to Senator Martin's wishes?
3. How does Clarice end up at Jame Gumb's house, and why does she go in?
4. How does Catherine Martin throw the proverbial wrench into Jame Gumb's harvest rituals?
5. Do the Memphis guards underestimate Dr. Lecter? How do you know?
6. Do you think Clarice's obsession with Buffalo Bill's victims is beneficial or harmful. Why?
7. Why does Jame Gumb suddenly decide to kill Catherine, and how does he plan to do it?
8. At what point is it apparent to Clarice that Jame Gumb is Buffalo Bill?
9. Do you think that Jame Gumb would be judged criminally insane or just plain evil?
10. What happens/happened in Jame Gumb's basement, and what aspects of the basement add to the terror of his victims?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Barney's character is an important, though rarely used, part of the novel. Barney seems to be the only person who can keep Dr. Lecter under control. He is also the only person who seems to earn Dr. Lecter's respect. What do you think it is about Barney that affects Dr. Lecter and causes to him behave and give Barney respect? Control is not something Dr. Lecter seems to give in to often, and when he does, he still seems to be seething under the surface. What do you think this says about Barney since Dr. Lecter seems to willingly surrender control (as much as he can) in Barney's presence.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Catherine Martin's abduction in detail. Why do you think she let her guard down? Were there contributing factors? If so, what were they?
Essay Topic 3
Strength and perseverance keep Catherine Martin from losing hope once she has been abducted. Though her situation seems hopeless, she finds an inner strength to fight her character.Catherine Martin is a very clever girl, and she is not about to go down without a fight. How does Catherine show her strength and spoil Buffalo Bill's plans for her? How does he react? Is Buffalo Bill a strong person, or is his weakness part of what makes up his character?
This section contains 1,217 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)