|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Lecter checks into the elegant Marcus Hotel. What is special about this hotel?
2. What does Krendler do in response to Clarice's unauthorized visit to Dr. Lecter?
3. What does Jame Gumb always do before "harvesting a hide"?
4. What is the cover that the Hostage Rescue Team uses?
5. What does Catherine Martin do to try and tempt Precious?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do the Memphis guards underestimate Dr. Lecter? How do you know?
2. Do you think that Clarice overstepped her bounds by visiting Dr. Lecter without going through the proper channels?
3. Why does Jame Gumb suddenly decide to kill Catherine, and how does he plan to do it?
4. Do you think that Paul Krendler helps or hinders the investigation by giving in to Senator Martin's wishes?
5. Do you think Bella's death will help or hinder Jack Crawford in the Buffalo Bill investigation and why?
6. Does Clarice gain insight into the person Frederica Bimmel was by exploring her room? What conclusions about Frederica does Clarice draw from the brief time she spends at the Bimmel house?
7. How does Catherine Martin throw the proverbial wrench into Jame Gumb's harvest rituals?
8. What would the reasons be for Chilton and Krendler to try and blame Dr. Lecter's escape on Clarice?
9. How does Dr. Lecter avoid suspicion after his escape?
10. What price did Clarice pay to stay on the Buffalo Bill investigation, and do you think she feels the price was too high?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is used several times throughout the novel. Where do you see foreshadowing being used? What events are being foreshadowed? Why do you think Thomas Harris chose these events to foreshadow? Is the technique effective? How?
Essay Topic 2
Clarice's childhood is an important part of the story. What events occurred to lead her to a career with the FBI? Do you think if her father had not been in "law enforcement" and had still died at the hands of criminals that Clarice would have chosen the same career path? Why or why not? How do you think her time at the horse (glue) farm affected her future choices? Why? Do you think Clarice will be able to let go of her past and let the "lambs stop screaming"? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does Catherine Martin's abduction finally bring the FBI much needed reinforcements to the search for Buffalo Bill? Do you think the case would have taken longer to solve had she not been a senator's daughter?
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)