|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is surprising about Frederica Bimmel's clothes in Chapter 52?
2. What does Krendler do in response to Clarice's unauthorized visit to Dr. Lecter?
3. Dr. Lecter checks into the elegant Marcus Hotel. What is special about this hotel?
4. What does Catherine Martin do to try and tempt Precious?
5. Where does Clarice confront Jack Crawford about staying on the case?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Bella's death will help or hinder Jack Crawford in the Buffalo Bill investigation and why?
2. Why does Jame Gumb suddenly decide to kill Catherine, and how does he plan to do it?
3. How does the FBI get information on Jame Gumb, and where does it lead them?
4. What happens after Clarice realizes that Jame Gumb is Buffalo Bill, and he realizes she knows?
5. How does Dr. Lecter escape?
6. How does Dr. Lecter avoid suspicion after his escape?
7. Do you think that Jame Gumb would be judged criminally insane or just plain evil?
8. Once Clarice finds out about Jame Gumb and the FBI team on its way to Illinois to apprehend the killer, how and why does she continue her investigation?
9. Does Clarice gain insight into the person Frederica Bimmel was by exploring her room? What conclusions about Frederica does Clarice draw from the brief time she spends at the Bimmel house?
10. Do you think that Clarice overstepped her bounds by visiting Dr. Lecter without going through the proper channels?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Clarisse first visits Dr. Lecter, she follows Crawford's directions on how to handle Dr. Lecter to the letter. Dr. Lecter baits her, trying to break the FBI profiler "trainee" so he can send her back to Crawford as an example. Why doesn't Dr. Lecter's ploy work? How does Clarisse counteract Dr. Lecter's prodding and teasing? Do you think Dr. Lecter would have treated her differently if she had been a man? If so, how? Would Dr. Lecter show more or less respect to a man? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Just about every serial killer has a "signature" that he leaves with his victim. Jame Gumb's signature as Buffalo Bill is the cocoon of the Black Witch Moth. What do you think is the significance of the cocoon in the victims' throat? Do you think the insect species is representative of anything to Jame Gumb? Why would he choose the throat as the location for his signature?
Essay Topic 3
How does Catherine Martin's abduction finally bring the FBI much needed reinforcements to the search for Buffalo Bill? Do you think the case would have taken longer to solve had she not been a senator's daughter?
This section contains 1,329 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)