|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 41, how does Catherine Martin try to get Jame Gumb to let her out of the pit?
2. What music does Dr. Lecter request?
3. What tragic event takes place in Chapter 45?
4. What ailment does Dr. Lecter say that Billy Rubin once had?
5. Whom does Dr. Chilton claim is responsible for Dr. Lecter's escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Catherine's plan, and describe her attempts to get Jame Gumb to release her?
2. How does Dr. Lecter avoid suspicion after his escape?
3. Do you think that Clarice overstepped her bounds by visiting Dr. Lecter without going through the proper channels?
4. How does Dr. Lecter escape?
5. What price did Clarice pay to stay on the Buffalo Bill investigation, and do you think she feels the price was too high?
6. How does the FBI get information on Jame Gumb, and where does it lead them?
7. Does Clarice gain insight into the person Frederica Bimmel was by exploring her room? What conclusions about Frederica does Clarice draw from the brief time she spends at the Bimmel house?
8. What advice does Crawford give Clarice about being a good leader?
9. Do you think Clarice's obsession with Buffalo Bill's victims is beneficial or harmful. Why?
10. What would the reasons be for Chilton and Krendler to try and blame Dr. Lecter's escape on Clarice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Just about every serial killer has a "signature" that he leaves with his victim. Jame Gumb's signature as Buffalo Bill is the cocoon of the Black Witch Moth. What do you think is the significance of the cocoon in the victims' throat? Do you think the insect species is representative of anything to Jame Gumb? Why would he choose the throat as the location for his signature?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 37, the guards' carelessness results in chaos. Dr. Lecter has planned the perfect escape. Describe what occurs during the chaos following the shots heard while the courthouse is filled with officers waiting to relieve the eleven to seven shift. Exactly how does Dr. Lecter fulfill his plan?
Essay Topic 3
When Clarisse first visits Dr. Lecter, she follows Crawford's directions on how to handle Dr. Lecter to the letter. Dr. Lecter baits her, trying to break the FBI profiler "trainee" so he can send her back to Crawford as an example. Why doesn't Dr. Lecter's ploy work? How does Clarisse counteract Dr. Lecter's prodding and teasing? Do you think Dr. Lecter would have treated her differently if she had been a man? If so, how? Would Dr. Lecter show more or less respect to a man? Why?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)