|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 48, why does Clarice tell Jack Crawford that she should continue with the investigation?
2. In Chapter 48, Clarice figures out the Buffalo Bill lives where?
3. Whom does Dr. Chilton claim is responsible for Dr. Lecter's escape?
4. Describe Boyle's condition when Sergeant Tate's men reach the fifth floor.
5. What does Krendler do in response to Clarice's unauthorized visit to Dr. Lecter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What would the reasons be for Chilton and Krendler to try and blame Dr. Lecter's escape on Clarice?
2. How does Dr. Lecter avoid suspicion after his escape?
3. What is Catherine's plan, and describe her attempts to get Jame Gumb to release her?
4. At what point is it apparent to Clarice that Jame Gumb is Buffalo Bill?
5. Do you think Bella's death will help or hinder Jack Crawford in the Buffalo Bill investigation and why?
6. Does Clarice gain insight into the person Frederica Bimmel was by exploring her room? What conclusions about Frederica does Clarice draw from the brief time she spends at the Bimmel house?
7. How does Dr. Lecter manipulate the conversation with Senator Martin, as well as anyone else needing his assistance?
8. What happens after Clarice realizes that Jame Gumb is Buffalo Bill, and he realizes she knows?
9. How does Catherine Martin throw the proverbial wrench into Jame Gumb's harvest rituals?
10. What happens/happened in Jame Gumb's basement, and what aspects of the basement add to the terror of his victims?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 37, the guards' carelessness results in chaos. Dr. Lecter has planned the perfect escape. Describe what occurs during the chaos following the shots heard while the courthouse is filled with officers waiting to relieve the eleven to seven shift. Exactly how does Dr. Lecter fulfill his plan?
Essay Topic 2
Senator Martin will spare nothing to get her daughter back safely, including negotiating with another killer to get into the mind of the man who has abducted Catherine. Is Senator Martin abusing her power by allowing Dr. Lecter to be released from his cell? Do you think she is aware that she might be putting other lives at danger by acquiescing to Dr. Lecter's demands, or do you think she believes she has taken all necessary precautions to ensure safety? Do you honestly think she is worried about the safety of others or only her daughter's recovery?
Essay Topic 3
Thomas Harris' development of Dr. Lecter's character is incisive and disturbing. Do you think this story is more about Dr. Lecter than Buffalo Bill, or do you think there is a tandem development of the two? Which killer seems more frightening: Dr. Lecter with his impressive intelligence and almost unparalleled ability to manipulate, or Buffalo Bill's seemingly primal drive to have the perfect woman suit?
This section contains 1,272 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)