|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to alert the gathered officers to trouble in the courthouse?
2. What does Clarice find in the secret drawer of Catherine's jewelry box?
3. Where does Clarice confront Jack Crawford about staying on the case?
4. What kind of gun does Jame Gumb own?
5. What was the name of Frederica's employer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dr. Lecter avoid suspicion after his escape?
2. Once Clarice finds out about Jame Gumb and the FBI team on its way to Illinois to apprehend the killer, how and why does she continue her investigation?
3. What price did Clarice pay to stay on the Buffalo Bill investigation, and do you think she feels the price was too high?
4. Do you think that Jame Gumb would be judged criminally insane or just plain evil?
5. How does Clarice end up at Jame Gumb's house, and why does she go in?
6. How does the FBI get information on Jame Gumb, and where does it lead them?
7. Do the Memphis guards underestimate Dr. Lecter? How do you know?
8. How does Dr. Lecter escape?
9. Why does Jame Gumb suddenly decide to kill Catherine, and how does he plan to do it?
10. What happens/happened in Jame Gumb's basement, and what aspects of the basement add to the terror of his victims?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What events lead to Clarisse's discovery that Buffalo Bill is making a suit out of the skin he takes from his victims? Where was she when she had this realization? What specific occurrence leads to this theory?
Essay Topic 2
Clarice's childhood is an important part of the story. What events occurred to lead her to a career with the FBI? Do you think if her father had not been in "law enforcement" and had still died at the hands of criminals that Clarice would have chosen the same career path? Why or why not? How do you think her time at the horse (glue) farm affected her future choices? Why? Do you think Clarice will be able to let go of her past and let the "lambs stop screaming"? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Barney's character is an important, though rarely used, part of the novel. Barney seems to be the only person who can keep Dr. Lecter under control. He is also the only person who seems to earn Dr. Lecter's respect. What do you think it is about Barney that affects Dr. Lecter and causes to him behave and give Barney respect? Control is not something Dr. Lecter seems to give in to often, and when he does, he still seems to be seething under the surface. What do you think this says about Barney since Dr. Lecter seems to willingly surrender control (as much as he can) in Barney's presence.
This section contains 1,213 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)