|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 56, why does Jame Gumb decide to kill Catherine Martin?
2. How does Dr. Lecter escape?
3. What does Krendler do in response to Clarice's unauthorized visit to Dr. Lecter?
4. What does the FBI order Jack Crawford to do in Chapter 39?
5. What does the Bimmel house smell like?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Clarice end up at Jame Gumb's house, and why does she go in?
2. Do you think that Paul Krendler helps or hinders the investigation by giving in to Senator Martin's wishes?
3. Do you think that Clarice overstepped her bounds by visiting Dr. Lecter without going through the proper channels?
4. What pivotal event happens to Jack Crawford in Chapter 45, and how does he respond to this event?
5. Do you think Bella's death will help or hinder Jack Crawford in the Buffalo Bill investigation and why?
6. At what point is it apparent to Clarice that Jame Gumb is Buffalo Bill?
7. Why does Jame Gumb suddenly decide to kill Catherine, and how does he plan to do it?
8. What happens/happened in Jame Gumb's basement, and what aspects of the basement add to the terror of his victims?
9. What would the reasons be for Chilton and Krendler to try and blame Dr. Lecter's escape on Clarice?
10. What advice does Crawford give Clarice about being a good leader?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Catherine Martin's abduction finally bring the FBI much needed reinforcements to the search for Buffalo Bill? Do you think the case would have taken longer to solve had she not been a senator's daughter?
Essay Topic 2
Senator Martin will spare nothing to get her daughter back safely, including negotiating with another killer to get into the mind of the man who has abducted Catherine. Is Senator Martin abusing her power by allowing Dr. Lecter to be released from his cell? Do you think she is aware that she might be putting other lives at danger by acquiescing to Dr. Lecter's demands, or do you think she believes she has taken all necessary precautions to ensure safety? Do you honestly think she is worried about the safety of others or only her daughter's recovery?
Essay Topic 3
Jack Crawford's wife, Bella, is dying. He is consumed with guilt about her illness and his inability to be with her at all times. How does Crawford manifest this guilt in his work? Do you think his pursuit of Buffalo Bill is intensified because of this guilt? Explain why or why not, using references from the book to support your choice.
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)