|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jame Gumb tells Clarice that Mrs. Lippman is where?
2. What is the last question Jame Gumb asks Clarice?
3. In Chapter 42, who calls Jack Crawford with information about an urgent bulletin?
4. Dr. Lecter tells Senator Martin that she shouldn't trust Jack Crawford for what reason?
5. How does Dr. Lecter escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think that Paul Krendler helps or hinders the investigation by giving in to Senator Martin's wishes?
2. Do you think Clarice's obsession with Buffalo Bill's victims is beneficial or harmful. Why?
3. What pivotal event happens to Jack Crawford in Chapter 45, and how does he respond to this event?
4. Do you think Bella's death will help or hinder Jack Crawford in the Buffalo Bill investigation and why?
5. What is Catherine's plan, and describe her attempts to get Jame Gumb to release her?
6. What happens after Clarice realizes that Jame Gumb is Buffalo Bill, and he realizes she knows?
7. Do you think that Jame Gumb would be judged criminally insane or just plain evil?
8. Once Clarice finds out about Jame Gumb and the FBI team on its way to Illinois to apprehend the killer, how and why does she continue her investigation?
9. How does the FBI get information on Jame Gumb, and where does it lead them?
10. What would the reasons be for Chilton and Krendler to try and blame Dr. Lecter's escape on Clarice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clarisse is a strong, independent woman, but in the beginning of the novel, one gets the feeling that she is slightly intimidated by the men around her. Why would Clarisse feel intimidated? Is there a turning point where she no longer appears to feel intimidated? If so, when does that turning point occur, and what happens to make you feel that she has finally come to feel equal to the men around her?
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Lecter defends Clarice when Miggs insults her by throwing semen at her. Miggs is found dead in his cell shortly thereafter, having swallowed his tongue. It is suspected that Dr. Lecter had a hand in Miggs' death. Dr. Lecter is a master manipulator, but do you think he could actually convince someone to swallow his own tongue? Why or why not? If so, how do you think he would go about that? Do you believe Clarice would look at this defense of her as a woman and a professional as a backhanded compliment? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapters 12 and 13, Crawford's treatment of Clarisse at Potter's Funeral Home while inspecting the body of Buffalo Bill's latest victim is carefully scripted, though this is not apparent to Clarisse at the time. How does Clarisse feel when Crawford asks to see the sheriff to speak "man-to-man"? How does Clarisse find out that Crawford had ulterior motives in getting the deputy to speak to him alone? What is her reaction to this? Does Clarisse have a point, and do you think that point is taken?
This section contains 1,326 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)