|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Senator Martin afraid that she has trusted a fool in trusting Dr. Chilton?
2. What does John Brigham hope to do for Clarice once she returns to Quantico?
3. In what contest did Jame Gumb's mother participate?
4. In which state did Frederica Bimmel live?
5. What does the armoire in Jame Gumb's sewing room contain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Clarice realizes that Jame Gumb is Buffalo Bill, and he realizes she knows?
2. Once Clarice finds out about Jame Gumb and the FBI team on its way to Illinois to apprehend the killer, how and why does she continue her investigation?
3. Do you think that Paul Krendler helps or hinders the investigation by giving in to Senator Martin's wishes?
4. Do you think that Dr. Lecter left the cipher in the toilet for Senator Martin or for Clarice?
5. What would the reasons be for Chilton and Krendler to try and blame Dr. Lecter's escape on Clarice?
6. What pivotal event happens to Jack Crawford in Chapter 45, and how does he respond to this event?
7. How does Dr. Lecter escape?
8. Do you think that Clarice overstepped her bounds by visiting Dr. Lecter without going through the proper channels?
9. Do you think Clarice's obsession with Buffalo Bill's victims is beneficial or harmful. Why?
10. Why does Jame Gumb suddenly decide to kill Catherine, and how does he plan to do it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The climax of the story is outlined in a fast paced, exciting scene. Describe the story's climax, how it can be identified as the climax, and how it set up the resolution.
Essay Topic 2
One theme of this book is control and the loss or lack of it. Which characters seem to have control over their own situations, if any? Which characters are defined by their lack of control, and how do they work to gain control? Does control seem to be important to the FBI? The senator? Jame Gumb? Dr. Chilton? Clarice? Dr. Lecter? Jack Crawford? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Lecter defends Clarice when Miggs insults her by throwing semen at her. Miggs is found dead in his cell shortly thereafter, having swallowed his tongue. It is suspected that Dr. Lecter had a hand in Miggs' death. Dr. Lecter is a master manipulator, but do you think he could actually convince someone to swallow his own tongue? Why or why not? If so, how do you think he would go about that? Do you believe Clarice would look at this defense of her as a woman and a professional as a backhanded compliment? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,196 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)