|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jame Gumb invite Clarice into his house?
2. What does Krendler do in response to Clarice's unauthorized visit to Dr. Lecter?
3. Who does Clarice call to tell about Buffalo Bill's sewing talents?
4. Of what did Senator Martin accuse Clarice?
5. In Chapter 42, who calls Jack Crawford with information about an urgent bulletin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dr. Lecter manipulate the conversation with Senator Martin, as well as anyone else needing his assistance?
2. What advice does Crawford give Clarice about being a good leader?
3. How does Dr. Lecter escape?
4. What happens/happened in Jame Gumb's basement, and what aspects of the basement add to the terror of his victims?
5. How does Dr. Lecter avoid suspicion after his escape?
6. Do you think that Dr. Lecter left the cipher in the toilet for Senator Martin or for Clarice?
7. How does Clarice end up at Jame Gumb's house, and why does she go in?
8. What is Catherine's plan, and describe her attempts to get Jame Gumb to release her?
9. How does the FBI get information on Jame Gumb, and where does it lead them?
10. Does Clarice gain insight into the person Frederica Bimmel was by exploring her room? What conclusions about Frederica does Clarice draw from the brief time she spends at the Bimmel house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Lecter defends Clarice when Miggs insults her by throwing semen at her. Miggs is found dead in his cell shortly thereafter, having swallowed his tongue. It is suspected that Dr. Lecter had a hand in Miggs' death. Dr. Lecter is a master manipulator, but do you think he could actually convince someone to swallow his own tongue? Why or why not? If so, how do you think he would go about that? Do you believe Clarice would look at this defense of her as a woman and a professional as a backhanded compliment? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Catherine Martin's abduction in detail. Why do you think she let her guard down? Were there contributing factors? If so, what were they?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used several times throughout the novel. Where do you see foreshadowing being used? What events are being foreshadowed? Why do you think Thomas Harris chose these events to foreshadow? Is the technique effective? How?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)