|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the last question Jame Gumb asks Clarice?
2. The men find Dr. Lecter's body on top of the elevator. What do they realize as they bring the body through the elevator ceiling hatch?
3. What prompts Clarice to run away from the dude ranch when she is a child?
4. Who is John Grant?
5. What type of machine does Catherine Martin hear while she is in the pit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once Clarice finds out about Jame Gumb and the FBI team on its way to Illinois to apprehend the killer, how and why does she continue her investigation?
2. Does Clarice gain insight into the person Frederica Bimmel was by exploring her room? What conclusions about Frederica does Clarice draw from the brief time she spends at the Bimmel house?
3. Do you think that Jame Gumb would be judged criminally insane or just plain evil?
4. How does Catherine Martin throw the proverbial wrench into Jame Gumb's harvest rituals?
5. What is Catherine's plan, and describe her attempts to get Jame Gumb to release her?
6. How does Dr. Lecter escape?
7. How does Dr. Lecter manipulate the conversation with Senator Martin, as well as anyone else needing his assistance?
8. What happens after Clarice realizes that Jame Gumb is Buffalo Bill, and he realizes she knows?
9. Do you think that Clarice overstepped her bounds by visiting Dr. Lecter without going through the proper channels?
10. Why does Jame Gumb suddenly decide to kill Catherine, and how does he plan to do it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is used several times throughout the novel. Where do you see foreshadowing being used? What events are being foreshadowed? Why do you think Thomas Harris chose these events to foreshadow? Is the technique effective? How?
Essay Topic 2
Clarice's childhood is an important part of the story. What events occurred to lead her to a career with the FBI? Do you think if her father had not been in "law enforcement" and had still died at the hands of criminals that Clarice would have chosen the same career path? Why or why not? How do you think her time at the horse (glue) farm affected her future choices? Why? Do you think Clarice will be able to let go of her past and let the "lambs stop screaming"? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What events lead to Clarisse's discovery that Buffalo Bill is making a suit out of the skin he takes from his victims? Where was she when she had this realization? What specific occurrence leads to this theory?
This section contains 1,312 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)