|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what materials does Dr. Lecter make a handcuff key?
2. What does Clarice hear that gives Jame Gumb's position away?
3. Dr. Lecter leaves a cipher which spells out the biochemical formula C33 H36 N4 O6. What is this the chemical formula for?
4. Why does Jame Gumb invite Clarice into his house?
5. What happens while Clarice is looking for Jame Gumb in the basement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What advice does Crawford give Clarice about being a good leader?
2. How does Dr. Lecter escape?
3. How does Clarice end up at Jame Gumb's house, and why does she go in?
4. What happens/happened in Jame Gumb's basement, and what aspects of the basement add to the terror of his victims?
5. Why does Jame Gumb suddenly decide to kill Catherine, and how does he plan to do it?
6. Do the Memphis guards underestimate Dr. Lecter? How do you know?
7. How does Dr. Lecter avoid suspicion after his escape?
8. What is Catherine's plan, and describe her attempts to get Jame Gumb to release her?
9. What happens after Clarice realizes that Jame Gumb is Buffalo Bill, and he realizes she knows?
10. How does the FBI get information on Jame Gumb, and where does it lead them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Lecter defends Clarice when Miggs insults her by throwing semen at her. Miggs is found dead in his cell shortly thereafter, having swallowed his tongue. It is suspected that Dr. Lecter had a hand in Miggs' death. Dr. Lecter is a master manipulator, but do you think he could actually convince someone to swallow his own tongue? Why or why not? If so, how do you think he would go about that? Do you believe Clarice would look at this defense of her as a woman and a professional as a backhanded compliment? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Strength and perseverance keep Catherine Martin from losing hope once she has been abducted. Though her situation seems hopeless, she finds an inner strength to fight her character.Catherine Martin is a very clever girl, and she is not about to go down without a fight. How does Catherine show her strength and spoil Buffalo Bill's plans for her? How does he react? Is Buffalo Bill a strong person, or is his weakness part of what makes up his character?
Essay Topic 3
Barney's character is an important, though rarely used, part of the novel. Barney seems to be the only person who can keep Dr. Lecter under control. He is also the only person who seems to earn Dr. Lecter's respect. What do you think it is about Barney that affects Dr. Lecter and causes to him behave and give Barney respect? Control is not something Dr. Lecter seems to give in to often, and when he does, he still seems to be seething under the surface. What do you think this says about Barney since Dr. Lecter seems to willingly surrender control (as much as he can) in Barney's presence.
This section contains 1,232 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)