|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jame Gumb use to tan his hides?
2. In Chapter 48, Clarice figures out the Buffalo Bill lives where?
3. What does Clarice tell Catherine Martin when she begs Clarice to get her out of the pit?
4. What does John Brigham hope to do for Clarice once she returns to Quantico?
5. Whom does Dr. Chilton claim is responsible for Dr. Lecter's escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think that Clarice overstepped her bounds by visiting Dr. Lecter without going through the proper channels?
2. How does the FBI get information on Jame Gumb, and where does it lead them?
3. What happens/happened in Jame Gumb's basement, and what aspects of the basement add to the terror of his victims?
4. How does Dr. Lecter avoid suspicion after his escape?
5. What is Catherine's plan, and describe her attempts to get Jame Gumb to release her?
6. Do you think that Dr. Lecter left the cipher in the toilet for Senator Martin or for Clarice?
7. What price did Clarice pay to stay on the Buffalo Bill investigation, and do you think she feels the price was too high?
8. What pivotal event happens to Jack Crawford in Chapter 45, and how does he respond to this event?
9. How does Dr. Lecter escape?
10. Why does Jame Gumb suddenly decide to kill Catherine, and how does he plan to do it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clarice's childhood is an important part of the story. What events occurred to lead her to a career with the FBI? Do you think if her father had not been in "law enforcement" and had still died at the hands of criminals that Clarice would have chosen the same career path? Why or why not? How do you think her time at the horse (glue) farm affected her future choices? Why? Do you think Clarice will be able to let go of her past and let the "lambs stop screaming"? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When Clarisse first visits Dr. Lecter, she follows Crawford's directions on how to handle Dr. Lecter to the letter. Dr. Lecter baits her, trying to break the FBI profiler "trainee" so he can send her back to Crawford as an example. Why doesn't Dr. Lecter's ploy work? How does Clarisse counteract Dr. Lecter's prodding and teasing? Do you think Dr. Lecter would have treated her differently if she had been a man? If so, how? Would Dr. Lecter show more or less respect to a man? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Strength and perseverance keep Catherine Martin from losing hope once she has been abducted. Though her situation seems hopeless, she finds an inner strength to fight her character.Catherine Martin is a very clever girl, and she is not about to go down without a fight. How does Catherine show her strength and spoil Buffalo Bill's plans for her? How does he react? Is Buffalo Bill a strong person, or is his weakness part of what makes up his character?
This section contains 1,106 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)