|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Frederica's employer?
2. Of what did Senator Martin accuse Clarice?
3. From what materials does Dr. Lecter make a handcuff key?
4. Dr. Lecter leaves a cipher which spells out the biochemical formula C33 H36 N4 O6. What is this the chemical formula for?
5. Dr. Lecter checks into the elegant Marcus Hotel. What is special about this hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dr. Lecter manipulate the conversation with Senator Martin, as well as anyone else needing his assistance?
2. Do you think that Clarice overstepped her bounds by visiting Dr. Lecter without going through the proper channels?
3. At what point is it apparent to Clarice that Jame Gumb is Buffalo Bill?
4. Do you think that Dr. Lecter left the cipher in the toilet for Senator Martin or for Clarice?
5. What is Catherine's plan, and describe her attempts to get Jame Gumb to release her?
6. Why does Jame Gumb suddenly decide to kill Catherine, and how does he plan to do it?
7. How does Clarice end up at Jame Gumb's house, and why does she go in?
8. How does Dr. Lecter avoid suspicion after his escape?
9. Does Clarice gain insight into the person Frederica Bimmel was by exploring her room? What conclusions about Frederica does Clarice draw from the brief time she spends at the Bimmel house?
10. What price did Clarice pay to stay on the Buffalo Bill investigation, and do you think she feels the price was too high?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Catherine Martin's abduction finally bring the FBI much needed reinforcements to the search for Buffalo Bill? Do you think the case would have taken longer to solve had she not been a senator's daughter?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Catherine Martin's abduction in detail. Why do you think she let her guard down? Were there contributing factors? If so, what were they?
Essay Topic 3
Clarice's childhood is an important part of the story. What events occurred to lead her to a career with the FBI? Do you think if her father had not been in "law enforcement" and had still died at the hands of criminals that Clarice would have chosen the same career path? Why or why not? How do you think her time at the horse (glue) farm affected her future choices? Why? Do you think Clarice will be able to let go of her past and let the "lambs stop screaming"? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,111 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)