|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jack Crawford explains the key to being a good leader to Clarice. What does he say the key is?
2. What was the name of Frederica's employer?
3. Dr. Lecter leaves a cipher which spells out the biochemical formula C33 H36 N4 O6. What is this the chemical formula for?
4. The men find Dr. Lecter's body on top of the elevator. What do they realize as they bring the body through the elevator ceiling hatch?
5. In Chapter 48, why does Clarice tell Jack Crawford that she should continue with the investigation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think that Dr. Lecter left the cipher in the toilet for Senator Martin or for Clarice?
2. What pivotal event happens to Jack Crawford in Chapter 45, and how does he respond to this event?
3. How does Dr. Lecter manipulate the conversation with Senator Martin, as well as anyone else needing his assistance?
4. Do you think Bella's death will help or hinder Jack Crawford in the Buffalo Bill investigation and why?
5. What happens/happened in Jame Gumb's basement, and what aspects of the basement add to the terror of his victims?
6. Do you think that Jame Gumb would be judged criminally insane or just plain evil?
7. Do you think Clarice's obsession with Buffalo Bill's victims is beneficial or harmful. Why?
8. Do you think that Paul Krendler helps or hinders the investigation by giving in to Senator Martin's wishes?
9. At what point is it apparent to Clarice that Jame Gumb is Buffalo Bill?
10. What happens after Clarice realizes that Jame Gumb is Buffalo Bill, and he realizes she knows?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Lecter defends Clarice when Miggs insults her by throwing semen at her. Miggs is found dead in his cell shortly thereafter, having swallowed his tongue. It is suspected that Dr. Lecter had a hand in Miggs' death. Dr. Lecter is a master manipulator, but do you think he could actually convince someone to swallow his own tongue? Why or why not? If so, how do you think he would go about that? Do you believe Clarice would look at this defense of her as a woman and a professional as a backhanded compliment? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used several times throughout the novel. Where do you see foreshadowing being used? What events are being foreshadowed? Why do you think Thomas Harris chose these events to foreshadow? Is the technique effective? How?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapters 12 and 13, Crawford's treatment of Clarisse at Potter's Funeral Home while inspecting the body of Buffalo Bill's latest victim is carefully scripted, though this is not apparent to Clarisse at the time. How does Clarisse feel when Crawford asks to see the sheriff to speak "man-to-man"? How does Clarisse find out that Crawford had ulterior motives in getting the deputy to speak to him alone? What is her reaction to this? Does Clarisse have a point, and do you think that point is taken?
This section contains 1,314 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)