|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is surprising about Frederica Bimmel's clothes in Chapter 52?
2. What does Clarice hear that gives Jame Gumb's position away?
3. Whom does Dr. Chilton claim is responsible for Dr. Lecter's escape?
4. What is different about the way Frederica's body was discarded compared to Buffalo Bill's other victims?
5. Of what did Senator Martin accuse Clarice?
Essay Topic 1
There are several symbols in the story. Identify at least three symbols used in the story. What do the symbols represent? Do the symbols mean the same thing throughout the story? How do the symbols impact the readers' understanding of the plot? How do they add substance to the character using the symbol?
Essay Topic 2
Thomas Harris' development of Dr. Lecter's character is incisive and disturbing. Do you think this story is more about Dr. Lecter than Buffalo Bill, or do you think there is a tandem development of the two? Which killer seems more frightening: Dr. Lecter with his impressive intelligence and almost unparalleled ability to manipulate, or Buffalo Bill's seemingly primal drive to have the perfect woman suit?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Jame Gumb's basement. How did he use the back rooms? Why did he stop using the back rooms? Where does he keep Catherine Martin? What does he call his victims to depersonalize them? What does he demand that his victims do to their skin every day and why?
This section contains 1,478 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)