|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 56, why does Jame Gumb decide to kill Catherine Martin?
2. In Chapter 41, how does Catherine Martin try to get Jame Gumb to let her out of the pit?
3. What does Jame Gumb use to tan his hides?
4. In Chapter 43, what is the name of Dr. Lecter's latest victim?
5. How does Dr. Lecter escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Bella's death will help or hinder Jack Crawford in the Buffalo Bill investigation and why?
2. Do you think that Paul Krendler helps or hinders the investigation by giving in to Senator Martin's wishes?
3. At what point is it apparent to Clarice that Jame Gumb is Buffalo Bill?
4. Why does Jame Gumb suddenly decide to kill Catherine, and how does he plan to do it?
5. What advice does Crawford give Clarice about being a good leader?
6. How does Catherine Martin throw the proverbial wrench into Jame Gumb's harvest rituals?
7. How does Dr. Lecter manipulate the conversation with Senator Martin, as well as anyone else needing his assistance?
8. How does the FBI get information on Jame Gumb, and where does it lead them?
9. Do you think Clarice's obsession with Buffalo Bill's victims is beneficial or harmful. Why?
10. What pivotal event happens to Jack Crawford in Chapter 45, and how does he respond to this event?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clarice's childhood is an important part of the story. What events occurred to lead her to a career with the FBI? Do you think if her father had not been in "law enforcement" and had still died at the hands of criminals that Clarice would have chosen the same career path? Why or why not? How do you think her time at the horse (glue) farm affected her future choices? Why? Do you think Clarice will be able to let go of her past and let the "lambs stop screaming"? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 37, the guards' carelessness results in chaos. Dr. Lecter has planned the perfect escape. Describe what occurs during the chaos following the shots heard while the courthouse is filled with officers waiting to relieve the eleven to seven shift. Exactly how does Dr. Lecter fulfill his plan?
Essay Topic 3
Strength and perseverance keep Catherine Martin from losing hope once she has been abducted. Though her situation seems hopeless, she finds an inner strength to fight her character.Catherine Martin is a very clever girl, and she is not about to go down without a fight. How does Catherine show her strength and spoil Buffalo Bill's plans for her? How does he react? Is Buffalo Bill a strong person, or is his weakness part of what makes up his character?
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)