|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the Hostage Rescue Team's commander?
2. In Chapter 36, what does Dr. Lecter bite?
3. In Chapter 42, who calls Jack Crawford with information about an urgent bulletin?
4. Jame Gumb tells Clarice that Mrs. Lippman is where?
5. In Chapter 43, what is the name of Dr. Lecter's latest victim?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once Clarice finds out about Jame Gumb and the FBI team on its way to Illinois to apprehend the killer, how and why does she continue her investigation?
2. Do you think that Dr. Lecter left the cipher in the toilet for Senator Martin or for Clarice?
3. What happens after Clarice realizes that Jame Gumb is Buffalo Bill, and he realizes she knows?
4. What happens/happened in Jame Gumb's basement, and what aspects of the basement add to the terror of his victims?
5. What would the reasons be for Chilton and Krendler to try and blame Dr. Lecter's escape on Clarice?
6. Do you think Clarice's obsession with Buffalo Bill's victims is beneficial or harmful. Why?
7. How does the FBI get information on Jame Gumb, and where does it lead them?
8. How does Catherine Martin throw the proverbial wrench into Jame Gumb's harvest rituals?
9. Why does Jame Gumb suddenly decide to kill Catherine, and how does he plan to do it?
10. What pivotal event happens to Jack Crawford in Chapter 45, and how does he respond to this event?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What events lead to Clarisse's discovery that Buffalo Bill is making a suit out of the skin he takes from his victims? Where was she when she had this realization? What specific occurrence leads to this theory?
Essay Topic 2
Senator Martin will spare nothing to get her daughter back safely, including negotiating with another killer to get into the mind of the man who has abducted Catherine. Is Senator Martin abusing her power by allowing Dr. Lecter to be released from his cell? Do you think she is aware that she might be putting other lives at danger by acquiescing to Dr. Lecter's demands, or do you think she believes she has taken all necessary precautions to ensure safety? Do you honestly think she is worried about the safety of others or only her daughter's recovery?
Essay Topic 3
There are several symbols in the story. Identify at least three symbols used in the story. What do the symbols represent? Do the symbols mean the same thing throughout the story? How do the symbols impact the readers' understanding of the plot? How do they add substance to the character using the symbol?
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)