|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who keeps Clarice from getting more information from Dr. Lecter?
2. Where does Buffalo Bill keep his victims?
3. What does Miggs throw at Clarice?
4. When Clarice moved to her new home after the death of her father, what did she discover was the purpose of that location?
5. How does Clarice demonstrate her superior hand strength?
Short Essay Questions
1. What factors might have combined to make Catherine Martin vulnerable to attack?
2. What happens to frustrate Clarice after she learns of Catherine Martin's abduction by Buffalo Bill?
3. Working under time pressure, what information will Clarice present to Dr. Lecter as inside information? Why is Clarice not to trust Dr. Chilton?
4. What creature does Clarice compare Dr. Chilton to and why?
5. Why is Dr. Lecter called "Hannibal the Cannibal"? Give an example. Does his viciousness tell you anything about his psychoses?
6. Why doesn't Dr. Lecter think that Buffalo Bill is a sadist, and what does he think Buffalo Bill actually wants?
7. What might the Black Witch Moth symbolize to Buffalo Bill?
8. As Catherine Martin examines her situation, what does she see, and what does she come to realize?
9. What does Dr. Chilton do to thwart the FBI and insert himself into the Catherine Martin investigation?
10. How do Dr. Lecter's taunts and remarks affect Clarice? Is her character strong enough to face a madman like Dr. Lecter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Clarisse first visits Dr. Lecter, she follows Crawford's directions on how to handle Dr. Lecter to the letter. Dr. Lecter baits her, trying to break the FBI profiler "trainee" so he can send her back to Crawford as an example. Why doesn't Dr. Lecter's ploy work? How does Clarisse counteract Dr. Lecter's prodding and teasing? Do you think Dr. Lecter would have treated her differently if she had been a man? If so, how? Would Dr. Lecter show more or less respect to a man? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Barney's character is an important, though rarely used, part of the novel. Barney seems to be the only person who can keep Dr. Lecter under control. He is also the only person who seems to earn Dr. Lecter's respect. What do you think it is about Barney that affects Dr. Lecter and causes to him behave and give Barney respect? Control is not something Dr. Lecter seems to give in to often, and when he does, he still seems to be seething under the surface. What do you think this says about Barney since Dr. Lecter seems to willingly surrender control (as much as he can) in Barney's presence.
Essay Topic 3
Clarice's childhood is an important part of the story. What events occurred to lead her to a career with the FBI? Do you think if her father had not been in "law enforcement" and had still died at the hands of criminals that Clarice would have chosen the same career path? Why or why not? How do you think her time at the horse (glue) farm affected her future choices? Why? Do you think Clarice will be able to let go of her past and let the "lambs stop screaming"? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,286 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)