|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In psychoanalytic terms, what is an imago?
2. Where does Clarice take the bug cocoon for identification?
3. Dr. Lecter gave Clarice Klaus's cause of death. What did he say it was?
4. What does Jack Crawford tell Clarice that Dr. Lecter did prior to his imprisonment?
5. What did Dr. Lecter tell Clarice she would find in the Packard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Crawford think about Dr. Lecter's eerily accurate prediction that the girl would be scalped? How does Crawford feel about Dr. Lecter's other, unsubstantiated prediction?
2. How does Dr. Lecter work his way into the Buffalo Bill investigation when his only purpose to the FBI was to be as a tool for study through his psychological evaluation? Again, how does he show his disdain for law enforcement? If he is so anti-authority, why does he speak with Clarice?
3. In Chapter 1, who is the serial killer the FBI wants to interview, and what does he offer to Clarice?
4. As Catherine Martin examines her situation, what does she see, and what does she come to realize?
5. What did Dr. Lecter do for a living before he was imprisoned as a serial killer? What repercussions might be the result of his previous employment?
6. What does Bella's impending death do to Jack Crawford? How does it affect him physically? Mentally? Is he prepared for her death?
7. Why is Dr. Lecter called "Hannibal the Cannibal"? Give an example. Does his viciousness tell you anything about his psychoses?
8. Do you think that Clarice's actions at the storage space were born out of desperation?
9. In Chapter 27, what does Chilton tell Dr. Lecter about the FBI to instill doubt in their honesty with Dr. Lecter?
10. How does Senator Martin try to affect Buffalo Bill psychologically?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Barney's character is an important, though rarely used, part of the novel. Barney seems to be the only person who can keep Dr. Lecter under control. He is also the only person who seems to earn Dr. Lecter's respect. What do you think it is about Barney that affects Dr. Lecter and causes to him behave and give Barney respect? Control is not something Dr. Lecter seems to give in to often, and when he does, he still seems to be seething under the surface. What do you think this says about Barney since Dr. Lecter seems to willingly surrender control (as much as he can) in Barney's presence.
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Lecter defends Clarice when Miggs insults her by throwing semen at her. Miggs is found dead in his cell shortly thereafter, having swallowed his tongue. It is suspected that Dr. Lecter had a hand in Miggs' death. Dr. Lecter is a master manipulator, but do you think he could actually convince someone to swallow his own tongue? Why or why not? If so, how do you think he would go about that? Do you believe Clarice would look at this defense of her as a woman and a professional as a backhanded compliment? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Jack Crawford's wife, Bella, is dying. He is consumed with guilt about her illness and his inability to be with her at all times. How does Crawford manifest this guilt in his work? Do you think his pursuit of Buffalo Bill is intensified because of this guilt? Explain why or why not, using references from the book to support your choice.
This section contains 1,525 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)