|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Lecter tells Dr. Chilton that Buffalo Bill's first name is what?
2. What does Dr. Lecter draw upon to entertain himself while his cell is being cleaned?
3. Who is Benjamin Raspail?
4. What does Clarice do in Chapter 4 to gather more information for her research on one of Dr. Lecter's victims?
5. How does Buffalo Bill abduct his latest victim in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 27, what does Chilton tell Dr. Lecter about the FBI to instill doubt in their honesty with Dr. Lecter?
2. What does Crawford think about Dr. Lecter's eerily accurate prediction that the girl would be scalped? How does Crawford feel about Dr. Lecter's other, unsubstantiated prediction?
3. Though Dr. Lecter does not believe the senator's offer is genuine because Crawford would never allow Dr. Lecter to benefit, for what does Dr. Lecter agree to offer his cooperation in exchange for, and how does he begin collecting on the proposal immediately?
4. What does Dr. Chilton do to thwart the FBI and insert himself into the Catherine Martin investigation?
5. What is Crawford's angle to get Dr. Lecter to assist the FBI in the Buffalo Bill investigation?
6. Where does the FBI go to try to find out Buffalo Bill's true identity, and what is the result?
7. Why does Dr. Lecter refer to Clarice as a "cheap redneck, one generation out of the mines"? What might he hope to accomplish by insulting her?
8. Why is Dr. Lecter called "Hannibal the Cannibal"? Give an example. Does his viciousness tell you anything about his psychoses?
9. Do you think Clarice sees Crawford as a father figure? Why or why not?
10. How does Clarice demonstrate her resourcefulness at the storage unit crime scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What events lead to Clarisse's discovery that Buffalo Bill is making a suit out of the skin he takes from his victims? Where was she when she had this realization? What specific occurrence leads to this theory?
Essay Topic 2
Thomas Harris' development of Dr. Lecter's character is incisive and disturbing. Do you think this story is more about Dr. Lecter than Buffalo Bill, or do you think there is a tandem development of the two? Which killer seems more frightening: Dr. Lecter with his impressive intelligence and almost unparalleled ability to manipulate, or Buffalo Bill's seemingly primal drive to have the perfect woman suit?
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Lecter defends Clarice when Miggs insults her by throwing semen at her. Miggs is found dead in his cell shortly thereafter, having swallowed his tongue. It is suspected that Dr. Lecter had a hand in Miggs' death. Dr. Lecter is a master manipulator, but do you think he could actually convince someone to swallow his own tongue? Why or why not? If so, how do you think he would go about that? Do you believe Clarice would look at this defense of her as a woman and a professional as a backhanded compliment? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,412 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)