Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Lecter offers his "insight" on Buffalo Bill in return for what from Clarice?
2. What is notable about the vacation spot that Senator Martin offers to Dr. Lecter in return for information to aid in the return of her daughter?
3. What does Jack Crawford think that Dr. Lecter might have done just for fun?
4. When the roll-up door gets stuck, how does Clarice open it far enough for her to get under?
5. Who killed the man in the Packard and why?
Short Essay Questions
1. Working under time pressure, what information will Clarice present to Dr. Lecter as inside information? Why is Clarice not to trust Dr. Chilton?
2. What pivotal event happens to Jack Crawford in Chapter 45, and how does he respond to this event?
3. What might the Black Witch Moth symbolize to Buffalo Bill?
4. Why doesn't Dr. Lecter think that Buffalo Bill is a sadist, and what does he think Buffalo Bill actually wants?
5. Do you think Clarice sees Crawford as a father figure? Why or why not?
6. What price did Clarice pay to stay on the Buffalo Bill investigation, and do you think she feels the price was too high?
7. What advice does Crawford give Clarice about being a good leader?
8. What happens to frustrate Clarice after she learns of Catherine Martin's abduction by Buffalo Bill?
9. Does Clarice gain insight into the person Frederica Bimmel was by exploring her room? What conclusions about Frederica does Clarice draw from the brief time she spends at the Bimmel house?
10. Why is Dr. Lecter called "Hannibal the Cannibal"? Give an example. Does his viciousness tell you anything about his psychoses?
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Lecter defends Clarice when Miggs insults her by throwing semen at her. Miggs is found dead in his cell shortly thereafter, having swallowed his tongue. It is suspected that Dr. Lecter had a hand in Miggs' death. Dr. Lecter is a master manipulator, but do you think he could actually convince someone to swallow his own tongue? Why or why not? If so, how do you think he would go about that? Do you believe Clarice would look at this defense of her as a woman and a professional as a backhanded compliment? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Catherine Martin's abduction in detail. Why do you think she let her guard down? Were there contributing factors? If so, what were they?
Essay Topic 3
Thomas Harris' development of Dr. Lecter's character is incisive and disturbing. Do you think this story is more about Dr. Lecter than Buffalo Bill, or do you think there is a tandem development of the two? Which killer seems more frightening: Dr. Lecter with his impressive intelligence and almost unparalleled ability to manipulate, or Buffalo Bill's seemingly primal drive to have the perfect woman suit?
This section contains 2,445 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)