|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clarice find inside the Packard?
2. What does Catherine see that finally brings home the identity of her abductor?
3. Who keeps Clarice from getting more information from Dr. Lecter?
4. What does Dr. Lecter feel when recalling the death of Benjamin Raspail?
5. Where does Clarice take the bug cocoon for identification?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dr. Lecter called "Hannibal the Cannibal"? Give an example. Does his viciousness tell you anything about his psychoses?
2. In response to their agreement in Chapter 25, what details does Dr. Lecter reveal about Buffalo Bill?
3. What did Dr. Lecter do for a living before he was imprisoned as a serial killer? What repercussions might be the result of his previous employment?
4. Why would Dr. Lecter be offended by being interviewed by a FBI trainee? How does he control the environment around him? How does he control the conversation with Clarice?
5. How does Clarice tactfully clear the room of excess law enforcement at the funeral home where the latest victim's body is being kept?
6. What factors might have combined to make Catherine Martin vulnerable to attack?
7. What is Crawford's angle to get Dr. Lecter to assist the FBI in the Buffalo Bill investigation?
8. How does Dr. Lecter work his way into the Buffalo Bill investigation when his only purpose to the FBI was to be as a tool for study through his psychological evaluation? Again, how does he show his disdain for law enforcement? If he is so anti-authority, why does he speak with Clarice?
9. How is Clarice rewarded or punished for her actions in Raspail's storage area and her subsequent conversation with Dr. Lecter?
10. What happens to frustrate Clarice after she learns of Catherine Martin's abduction by Buffalo Bill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Lecter defends Clarice when Miggs insults her by throwing semen at her. Miggs is found dead in his cell shortly thereafter, having swallowed his tongue. It is suspected that Dr. Lecter had a hand in Miggs' death. Dr. Lecter is a master manipulator, but do you think he could actually convince someone to swallow his own tongue? Why or why not? If so, how do you think he would go about that? Do you believe Clarice would look at this defense of her as a woman and a professional as a backhanded compliment? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
One theme of this book is control and the loss or lack of it. Which characters seem to have control over their own situations, if any? Which characters are defined by their lack of control, and how do they work to gain control? Does control seem to be important to the FBI? The senator? Jame Gumb? Dr. Chilton? Clarice? Dr. Lecter? Jack Crawford? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
What events lead to Clarisse's discovery that Buffalo Bill is making a suit out of the skin he takes from his victims? Where was she when she had this realization? What specific occurrence leads to this theory?
This section contains 1,401 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)