|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Clarice's roommate?
2. How does Miggs die?
3. Who hits on Clarice in Chapter 2 but is immediately shot down?
4. In psychoanalytic terms, what is an imago?
5. What is the name of the FBI trainee selected to assist with the serial killer investigation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Dr. Lecter think that Buffalo Bill is a sadist, and what does he think Buffalo Bill actually wants?
2. How does Senator Martin try to affect Buffalo Bill psychologically?
3. How does Dr. Lecter work his way into the Buffalo Bill investigation when his only purpose to the FBI was to be as a tool for study through his psychological evaluation? Again, how does he show his disdain for law enforcement? If he is so anti-authority, why does he speak with Clarice?
4. Though Dr. Lecter does not believe the senator's offer is genuine because Crawford would never allow Dr. Lecter to benefit, for what does Dr. Lecter agree to offer his cooperation in exchange for, and how does he begin collecting on the proposal immediately?
5. Why does Dr. Lecter refer to Clarice as a "cheap redneck, one generation out of the mines"? What might he hope to accomplish by insulting her?
6. In response to their agreement in Chapter 25, what details does Dr. Lecter reveal about Buffalo Bill?
7. What does Dr. Chilton do to thwart the FBI and insert himself into the Catherine Martin investigation?
8. In Chapter 26, how does the staff of the hospital ensure their safety and Dr. Lecter's cooperation while they are cleaning his cell, and how does Dr. Lecter entertain himself while they do this?
9. What benefits comprise the proposal package that Clarice puts together for Dr. Lecter in Senator Martin's name, and what is unique about the vacation spot?
10. Why is Clarice so eager to get into Raspail's storage unit? Does she truly think that any tip from Dr. Lecter would be true?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Just about every serial killer has a "signature" that he leaves with his victim. Jame Gumb's signature as Buffalo Bill is the cocoon of the Black Witch Moth. What do you think is the significance of the cocoon in the victims' throat? Do you think the insect species is representative of anything to Jame Gumb? Why would he choose the throat as the location for his signature?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Catherine Martin's abduction in detail. Why do you think she let her guard down? Were there contributing factors? If so, what were they?
Essay Topic 3
There are several symbols in the story. Identify at least three symbols used in the story. What do the symbols represent? Do the symbols mean the same thing throughout the story? How do the symbols impact the readers' understanding of the plot? How do they add substance to the character using the symbol?
This section contains 1,389 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)