|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Clarice's father's true profession?
2. Why did Jack Crawford turn down Dr. Lecter's original offer of assistance in the Buffalo Bill case?
3. What does Dr. Lecter draw upon to entertain himself while his cell is being cleaned?
4. What does Jack Crawford think that Dr. Lecter might have done just for fun?
5. What kind of insect does the Erebus odora cocoon belong to?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, who is the serial killer the FBI wants to interview, and what does he offer to Clarice?
2. What is an imago, and how does this relate to Buffalo Bill?
3. In response to their agreement in Chapter 25, what details does Dr. Lecter reveal about Buffalo Bill?
4. As Catherine Martin examines her situation, what does she see, and what does she come to realize?
5. How do Dr. Lecter's taunts and remarks affect Clarice? Is her character strong enough to face a madman like Dr. Lecter?
6. What happens to frustrate Clarice after she learns of Catherine Martin's abduction by Buffalo Bill?
7. How does Clarice display her attention to detail while examining the victim's body in Chapter 12?
8. In Chapter 18, Crawford explains that he wants Clarice to talk to Dr. Lecter again. Why?
9. What does Dr. Chilton do to thwart the FBI and insert himself into the Catherine Martin investigation?
10. Why is Dr. Lecter called "Hannibal the Cannibal"? Give an example. Does his viciousness tell you anything about his psychoses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jack Crawford's wife, Bella, is dying. He is consumed with guilt about her illness and his inability to be with her at all times. How does Crawford manifest this guilt in his work? Do you think his pursuit of Buffalo Bill is intensified because of this guilt? Explain why or why not, using references from the book to support your choice.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapters 12 and 13, Crawford's treatment of Clarisse at Potter's Funeral Home while inspecting the body of Buffalo Bill's latest victim is carefully scripted, though this is not apparent to Clarisse at the time. How does Clarisse feel when Crawford asks to see the sheriff to speak "man-to-man"? How does Clarisse find out that Crawford had ulterior motives in getting the deputy to speak to him alone? What is her reaction to this? Does Clarisse have a point, and do you think that point is taken?
Essay Topic 3
What events lead to Clarisse's discovery that Buffalo Bill is making a suit out of the skin he takes from his victims? Where was she when she had this realization? What specific occurrence leads to this theory?
This section contains 1,263 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)