|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first to arrive at the storage facility when backup is called for?
2. What does Jack Crawford think the FBI will need to do in order to convince Dr. Lecter to assist them in the Buffalo Bill investigation?
3. What does Noble Pilcher tell Clarice that the word "moth" once meant?
4. Who hits on Clarice in Chapter 2 but is immediately shot down?
5. What does Clarice do in Chapter 4 to gather more information for her research on one of Dr. Lecter's victims?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is an imago, and how does this relate to Buffalo Bill?
2. What did Dr. Lecter do for a living before he was imprisoned as a serial killer? What repercussions might be the result of his previous employment?
3. In Chapter 18, Crawford explains that he wants Clarice to talk to Dr. Lecter again. Why?
4. Though Dr. Lecter does not believe the senator's offer is genuine because Crawford would never allow Dr. Lecter to benefit, for what does Dr. Lecter agree to offer his cooperation in exchange for, and how does he begin collecting on the proposal immediately?
5. As Catherine Martin examines her situation, what does she see, and what does she come to realize?
6. Why is Dr. Lecter called "Hannibal the Cannibal"? Give an example. Does his viciousness tell you anything about his psychoses?
7. How does Senator Martin try to affect Buffalo Bill psychologically?
8. In Chapter 1, who is the serial killer the FBI wants to interview, and what does he offer to Clarice?
9. What does Bella's impending death do to Jack Crawford? How does it affect him physically? Mentally? Is he prepared for her death?
10. What might the Black Witch Moth symbolize to Buffalo Bill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Senator Martin will spare nothing to get her daughter back safely, including negotiating with another killer to get into the mind of the man who has abducted Catherine. Is Senator Martin abusing her power by allowing Dr. Lecter to be released from his cell? Do you think she is aware that she might be putting other lives at danger by acquiescing to Dr. Lecter's demands, or do you think she believes she has taken all necessary precautions to ensure safety? Do you honestly think she is worried about the safety of others or only her daughter's recovery?
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Lecter defends Clarice when Miggs insults her by throwing semen at her. Miggs is found dead in his cell shortly thereafter, having swallowed his tongue. It is suspected that Dr. Lecter had a hand in Miggs' death. Dr. Lecter is a master manipulator, but do you think he could actually convince someone to swallow his own tongue? Why or why not? If so, how do you think he would go about that? Do you believe Clarice would look at this defense of her as a woman and a professional as a backhanded compliment? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Catherine Martin's abduction in detail. Why do you think she let her guard down? Were there contributing factors? If so, what were they?
This section contains 1,317 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)