|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Lecter gave Clarice Klaus's cause of death. What did he say it was?
2. What are the entomologists using to play chess?
3. What does Dr. Lecter thank Barney for?
4. The flutist for the Baltimore Philharmonic was missing two organs when he was discovered. What were the organs?
5. Why did Clarice get angry with Jack Crawford at the funeral home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the circumstances surrounding Benjamin Raspail's death? What was his actual cause of death?
2. What is an imago, and how does this relate to Buffalo Bill?
3. Do you think that Clarice overstepped her bounds by visiting Dr. Lecter without going through the proper channels?
4. Why does Jame Gumb suddenly decide to kill Catherine, and how does he plan to do it?
5. How does Clarice end up at Jame Gumb's house, and why does she go in?
6. What is Catherine's plan, and describe her attempts to get Jame Gumb to release her?
7. What would the reasons be for Chilton and Krendler to try and blame Dr. Lecter's escape on Clarice?
8. How does Catherine Martin throw the proverbial wrench into Jame Gumb's harvest rituals?
9. What did Dr. Lecter do for a living before he was imprisoned as a serial killer? What repercussions might be the result of his previous employment?
10. How does Dr. Lecter avoid suspicion after his escape?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several symbols in the story. Identify at least three symbols used in the story. What do the symbols represent? Do the symbols mean the same thing throughout the story? How do the symbols impact the readers' understanding of the plot? How do they add substance to the character using the symbol?
Essay Topic 2
Barney's character is an important, though rarely used, part of the novel. Barney seems to be the only person who can keep Dr. Lecter under control. He is also the only person who seems to earn Dr. Lecter's respect. What do you think it is about Barney that affects Dr. Lecter and causes to him behave and give Barney respect? Control is not something Dr. Lecter seems to give in to often, and when he does, he still seems to be seething under the surface. What do you think this says about Barney since Dr. Lecter seems to willingly surrender control (as much as he can) in Barney's presence.
Essay Topic 3
What events lead to Clarisse's discovery that Buffalo Bill is making a suit out of the skin he takes from his victims? Where was she when she had this realization? What specific occurrence leads to this theory?
This section contains 2,288 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)