|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Describe Dr. Lecter's "lodgings" and "uniform" while his cell is being cleaned.
2. Who accompanies Clarice to the storage facility?
3. What did Clarice take with her when she ran away from the ranch, and why did she take it?
4. What is the name of Clarice's roommate?
5. Why doesn't Clarice like Albert Roden?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dr. Lecter called "Hannibal the Cannibal"? Give an example. Does his viciousness tell you anything about his psychoses?
2. What does Bella's impending death do to Jack Crawford? How does it affect him physically? Mentally? Is he prepared for her death?
3. In Chapter 26, how does the staff of the hospital ensure their safety and Dr. Lecter's cooperation while they are cleaning his cell, and how does Dr. Lecter entertain himself while they do this?
4. What does Dr. Chilton do to thwart the FBI and insert himself into the Catherine Martin investigation?
5. What factors might have combined to make Catherine Martin vulnerable to attack?
6. What might the Black Witch Moth symbolize to Buffalo Bill?
7. In Chapter 18, Crawford explains that he wants Clarice to talk to Dr. Lecter again. Why?
8. What creature does Clarice compare Dr. Chilton to and why?
9. How is Clarice rewarded or punished for her actions in Raspail's storage area and her subsequent conversation with Dr. Lecter?
10. Where does the FBI go to try to find out Buffalo Bill's true identity, and what is the result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Senator Martin will spare nothing to get her daughter back safely, including negotiating with another killer to get into the mind of the man who has abducted Catherine. Is Senator Martin abusing her power by allowing Dr. Lecter to be released from his cell? Do you think she is aware that she might be putting other lives at danger by acquiescing to Dr. Lecter's demands, or do you think she believes she has taken all necessary precautions to ensure safety? Do you honestly think she is worried about the safety of others or only her daughter's recovery?
Essay Topic 2
One theme of this book is control and the loss or lack of it. Which characters seem to have control over their own situations, if any? Which characters are defined by their lack of control, and how do they work to gain control? Does control seem to be important to the FBI? The senator? Jame Gumb? Dr. Chilton? Clarice? Dr. Lecter? Jack Crawford? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapters 12 and 13, Crawford's treatment of Clarisse at Potter's Funeral Home while inspecting the body of Buffalo Bill's latest victim is carefully scripted, though this is not apparent to Clarisse at the time. How does Clarisse feel when Crawford asks to see the sheriff to speak "man-to-man"? How does Clarisse find out that Crawford had ulterior motives in getting the deputy to speak to him alone? What is her reaction to this? Does Clarisse have a point, and do you think that point is taken?
This section contains 1,333 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)