|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the Senator offer Dr. Lecter special privileges for his assistance in finding her daughter?
2. After her father's death when she was a child, where did Clarice live?
3. What is the name of the brilliant serial killer housed in the Baltimore State Hospital for the Criminally Insane?
4. Who hits on Clarice in Chapter 2 but is immediately shot down?
5. What was Clarice's father's true profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 26, how does the staff of the hospital ensure their safety and Dr. Lecter's cooperation while they are cleaning his cell, and how does Dr. Lecter entertain himself while they do this?
2. In response to their agreement in Chapter 25, what details does Dr. Lecter reveal about Buffalo Bill?
3. Do you think that Clarice's actions at the storage space were born out of desperation?
4. How does Clarice display her attention to detail while examining the victim's body in Chapter 12?
5. What is an imago, and how does this relate to Buffalo Bill?
6. What were the circumstances surrounding Benjamin Raspail's death? What was his actual cause of death?
7. How does Senator Martin try to affect Buffalo Bill psychologically?
8. How does Clarice demonstrate her resourcefulness at the storage unit crime scene?
9. Why is Clarice so eager to get into Raspail's storage unit? Does she truly think that any tip from Dr. Lecter would be true?
10. Why doesn't Dr. Lecter think that Buffalo Bill is a sadist, and what does he think Buffalo Bill actually wants?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Strength and perseverance keep Catherine Martin from losing hope once she has been abducted. Though her situation seems hopeless, she finds an inner strength to fight her character.Catherine Martin is a very clever girl, and she is not about to go down without a fight. How does Catherine show her strength and spoil Buffalo Bill's plans for her? How does he react? Is Buffalo Bill a strong person, or is his weakness part of what makes up his character?
Essay Topic 2
Barney's character is an important, though rarely used, part of the novel. Barney seems to be the only person who can keep Dr. Lecter under control. He is also the only person who seems to earn Dr. Lecter's respect. What do you think it is about Barney that affects Dr. Lecter and causes to him behave and give Barney respect? Control is not something Dr. Lecter seems to give in to often, and when he does, he still seems to be seething under the surface. What do you think this says about Barney since Dr. Lecter seems to willingly surrender control (as much as he can) in Barney's presence.
Essay Topic 3
Just about every serial killer has a "signature" that he leaves with his victim. Jame Gumb's signature as Buffalo Bill is the cocoon of the Black Witch Moth. What do you think is the significance of the cocoon in the victims' throat? Do you think the insect species is representative of anything to Jame Gumb? Why would he choose the throat as the location for his signature?
This section contains 1,399 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)