|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The last time that Barney was sent away, what happened?
2. What was the name of the agent who recruited Clarice? She later refers to this character as "a two-faced recruiting sergeant son of a bitch."
3. Why did Clarice get angry with Jack Crawford at the funeral home?
4. What are the names of the entomologists?
5. What does Dr. Lecter draw upon to entertain himself while his cell is being cleaned?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, who is the serial killer the FBI wants to interview, and what does he offer to Clarice?
2. How does Dr. Lecter work his way into the Buffalo Bill investigation when his only purpose to the FBI was to be as a tool for study through his psychological evaluation? Again, how does he show his disdain for law enforcement? If he is so anti-authority, why does he speak with Clarice?
3. What benefits comprise the proposal package that Clarice puts together for Dr. Lecter in Senator Martin's name, and what is unique about the vacation spot?
4. Do you think that Clarice's actions at the storage space were born out of desperation?
5. Does Clarice gain insight into the person Frederica Bimmel was by exploring her room? What conclusions about Frederica does Clarice draw from the brief time she spends at the Bimmel house?
6. What factors might have combined to make Catherine Martin vulnerable to attack?
7. How does Clarice display her attention to detail while examining the victim's body in Chapter 12?
8. How does Catherine Martin throw the proverbial wrench into Jame Gumb's harvest rituals?
9. In response to their agreement in Chapter 25, what details does Dr. Lecter reveal about Buffalo Bill?
10. What pivotal event happens to Jack Crawford in Chapter 45, and how does he respond to this event?
Essay Topic 1
In Chapters 12 and 13, Crawford's treatment of Clarisse at Potter's Funeral Home while inspecting the body of Buffalo Bill's latest victim is carefully scripted, though this is not apparent to Clarisse at the time. How does Clarisse feel when Crawford asks to see the sheriff to speak "man-to-man"? How does Clarisse find out that Crawford had ulterior motives in getting the deputy to speak to him alone? What is her reaction to this? Does Clarisse have a point, and do you think that point is taken?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used several times throughout the novel. Where do you see foreshadowing being used? What events are being foreshadowed? Why do you think Thomas Harris chose these events to foreshadow? Is the technique effective? How?
Essay Topic 3
When Clarisse first visits Dr. Lecter, she follows Crawford's directions on how to handle Dr. Lecter to the letter. Dr. Lecter baits her, trying to break the FBI profiler "trainee" so he can send her back to Crawford as an example. Why doesn't Dr. Lecter's ploy work? How does Clarisse counteract Dr. Lecter's prodding and teasing? Do you think Dr. Lecter would have treated her differently if she had been a man? If so, how? Would Dr. Lecter show more or less respect to a man? Why?
This section contains 1,405 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)