|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Clarice's roommate?
2. Where is Dr. Lecter moved to upon Senator Martin's orders?
3. Dr. Lecter tells Clarice that Buffalo Bill wants to change into a woman. What does Dr. Lecter claim that Buffalo Bill is doing to attain that goal?
4. In Chapter 21, what does Dr. Chilton insist Clarice do that she refuses to do?
5. After her father's death when she was a child, where did Clarice live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the FBI go to try to find out Buffalo Bill's true identity, and what is the result?
2. How does Clarice demonstrate her resourcefulness at the storage unit crime scene?
3. How do Dr. Lecter's taunts and remarks affect Clarice? Is her character strong enough to face a madman like Dr. Lecter?
4. What happens to frustrate Clarice after she learns of Catherine Martin's abduction by Buffalo Bill?
5. How is Clarice rewarded or punished for her actions in Raspail's storage area and her subsequent conversation with Dr. Lecter?
6. In Chapter 26, how does the staff of the hospital ensure their safety and Dr. Lecter's cooperation while they are cleaning his cell, and how does Dr. Lecter entertain himself while they do this?
7. What were the circumstances surrounding Benjamin Raspail's death? What was his actual cause of death?
8. What is Crawford's angle to get Dr. Lecter to assist the FBI in the Buffalo Bill investigation?
9. Do you think that Clarice's actions at the storage space were born out of desperation?
10. How does Clarice tactfully clear the room of excess law enforcement at the funeral home where the latest victim's body is being kept?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jack Crawford's wife, Bella, is dying. He is consumed with guilt about her illness and his inability to be with her at all times. How does Crawford manifest this guilt in his work? Do you think his pursuit of Buffalo Bill is intensified because of this guilt? Explain why or why not, using references from the book to support your choice.
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Lecter defends Clarice when Miggs insults her by throwing semen at her. Miggs is found dead in his cell shortly thereafter, having swallowed his tongue. It is suspected that Dr. Lecter had a hand in Miggs' death. Dr. Lecter is a master manipulator, but do you think he could actually convince someone to swallow his own tongue? Why or why not? If so, how do you think he would go about that? Do you believe Clarice would look at this defense of her as a woman and a professional as a backhanded compliment? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When Clarisse first visits Dr. Lecter, she follows Crawford's directions on how to handle Dr. Lecter to the letter. Dr. Lecter baits her, trying to break the FBI profiler "trainee" so he can send her back to Crawford as an example. Why doesn't Dr. Lecter's ploy work? How does Clarisse counteract Dr. Lecter's prodding and teasing? Do you think Dr. Lecter would have treated her differently if she had been a man? If so, how? Would Dr. Lecter show more or less respect to a man? Why?
This section contains 1,375 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)