|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name given to the serial killer that Clarice is hunting?
2. Why does Jack Crawford want Clarice to start talking to Dr. Lecter again?
3. Why did Clarice get angry with Jack Crawford at the funeral home?
4. Who accompanies Clarice to the storage facility?
5. What does Buffalo Bill demand that Catherine do, or else the hose will be turned on her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Clarice sees Crawford as a father figure? Why or why not?
2. What were the circumstances surrounding Benjamin Raspail's death? What was his actual cause of death?
3. Where does the FBI go to try to find out Buffalo Bill's true identity, and what is the result?
4. In Chapter 26, how does the staff of the hospital ensure their safety and Dr. Lecter's cooperation while they are cleaning his cell, and how does Dr. Lecter entertain himself while they do this?
5. Why is Dr. Lecter called "Hannibal the Cannibal"? Give an example. Does his viciousness tell you anything about his psychoses?
6. Do you think that Clarice's actions at the storage space were born out of desperation?
7. Working under time pressure, what information will Clarice present to Dr. Lecter as inside information? Why is Clarice not to trust Dr. Chilton?
8. How does Clarice display her attention to detail while examining the victim's body in Chapter 12?
9. In Chapter 1, who is the serial killer the FBI wants to interview, and what does he offer to Clarice?
10. Why is Clarice so eager to run headlong into uncertainty?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is used several times throughout the novel. Where do you see foreshadowing being used? What events are being foreshadowed? Why do you think Thomas Harris chose these events to foreshadow? Is the technique effective? How?
Essay Topic 2
Senator Martin will spare nothing to get her daughter back safely, including negotiating with another killer to get into the mind of the man who has abducted Catherine. Is Senator Martin abusing her power by allowing Dr. Lecter to be released from his cell? Do you think she is aware that she might be putting other lives at danger by acquiescing to Dr. Lecter's demands, or do you think she believes she has taken all necessary precautions to ensure safety? Do you honestly think she is worried about the safety of others or only her daughter's recovery?
Essay Topic 3
Strength and perseverance keep Catherine Martin from losing hope once she has been abducted. Though her situation seems hopeless, she finds an inner strength to fight her character.Catherine Martin is a very clever girl, and she is not about to go down without a fight. How does Catherine show her strength and spoil Buffalo Bill's plans for her? How does he react? Is Buffalo Bill a strong person, or is his weakness part of what makes up his character?
This section contains 1,363 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)