|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jame Gumb speak to his poodle?
2. What is Clarice doing in Chapter 1 when she is called to the Section Chief's office?
3. Who hits on Clarice in Chapter 2 but is immediately shot down?
4. What does Jack Crawford think that Dr. Lecter might have done just for fun?
5. What is the name of Clarice's roommate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Clarice sees Crawford as a father figure? Why or why not?
2. In Chapter 18, Crawford explains that he wants Clarice to talk to Dr. Lecter again. Why?
3. How is Clarice rewarded or punished for her actions in Raspail's storage area and her subsequent conversation with Dr. Lecter?
4. In Chapter 26, how does the staff of the hospital ensure their safety and Dr. Lecter's cooperation while they are cleaning his cell, and how does Dr. Lecter entertain himself while they do this?
5. Working under time pressure, what information will Clarice present to Dr. Lecter as inside information? Why is Clarice not to trust Dr. Chilton?
6. How does Dr. Lecter work his way into the Buffalo Bill investigation when his only purpose to the FBI was to be as a tool for study through his psychological evaluation? Again, how does he show his disdain for law enforcement? If he is so anti-authority, why does he speak with Clarice?
7. Why doesn't Dr. Lecter think that Buffalo Bill is a sadist, and what does he think Buffalo Bill actually wants?
8. What might the Black Witch Moth symbolize to Buffalo Bill?
9. How does Clarice tactfully clear the room of excess law enforcement at the funeral home where the latest victim's body is being kept?
10. In Chapter 1, who is the serial killer the FBI wants to interview, and what does he offer to Clarice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Lecter defends Clarice when Miggs insults her by throwing semen at her. Miggs is found dead in his cell shortly thereafter, having swallowed his tongue. It is suspected that Dr. Lecter had a hand in Miggs' death. Dr. Lecter is a master manipulator, but do you think he could actually convince someone to swallow his own tongue? Why or why not? If so, how do you think he would go about that? Do you believe Clarice would look at this defense of her as a woman and a professional as a backhanded compliment? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Barney's character is an important, though rarely used, part of the novel. Barney seems to be the only person who can keep Dr. Lecter under control. He is also the only person who seems to earn Dr. Lecter's respect. What do you think it is about Barney that affects Dr. Lecter and causes to him behave and give Barney respect? Control is not something Dr. Lecter seems to give in to often, and when he does, he still seems to be seething under the surface. What do you think this says about Barney since Dr. Lecter seems to willingly surrender control (as much as he can) in Barney's presence.
Essay Topic 3
The climax of the story is outlined in a fast paced, exciting scene. Describe the story's climax, how it can be identified as the climax, and how it set up the resolution.
This section contains 1,350 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)