|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Lecter draw upon to entertain himself while his cell is being cleaned?
2. After her father's death when she was a child, where did Clarice live?
3. How does Buffalo Bill abduct his latest victim in Chapter 15?
4. Who is Dr. Danielson?
5. What characteristic of Buffalo Bill is evident in the blouse found by the police homeless man's cart?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is an imago, and how does this relate to Buffalo Bill?
2. How does Clarice demonstrate her resourcefulness at the storage unit crime scene?
3. In Chapter 27, what does Chilton tell Dr. Lecter about the FBI to instill doubt in their honesty with Dr. Lecter?
4. What might the Black Witch Moth symbolize to Buffalo Bill?
5. Why is Dr. Lecter called "Hannibal the Cannibal"? Give an example. Does his viciousness tell you anything about his psychoses?
6. What does Dr. Chilton do to thwart the FBI and insert himself into the Catherine Martin investigation?
7. How is Clarice rewarded or punished for her actions in Raspail's storage area and her subsequent conversation with Dr. Lecter?
8. How does Clarice display her attention to detail while examining the victim's body in Chapter 12?
9. How does Senator Martin try to affect Buffalo Bill psychologically?
10. Why does Dr. Lecter refer to Clarice as a "cheap redneck, one generation out of the mines"? What might he hope to accomplish by insulting her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clarisse is a strong, independent woman, but in the beginning of the novel, one gets the feeling that she is slightly intimidated by the men around her. Why would Clarisse feel intimidated? Is there a turning point where she no longer appears to feel intimidated? If so, when does that turning point occur, and what happens to make you feel that she has finally come to feel equal to the men around her?
Essay Topic 2
The climax of the story is outlined in a fast paced, exciting scene. Describe the story's climax, how it can be identified as the climax, and how it set up the resolution.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 37, the guards' carelessness results in chaos. Dr. Lecter has planned the perfect escape. Describe what occurs during the chaos following the shots heard while the courthouse is filled with officers waiting to relieve the eleven to seven shift. Exactly how does Dr. Lecter fulfill his plan?
This section contains 1,243 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)