|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Clarice get angry with Jack Crawford at the funeral home?
2. What does Bella's spouse do to make her bedroom as normal as possible?
3. What is "Blue Canoe?"
4. Dr. Lecter tells Dr. Chilton that Buffalo Bill's first name is what?
5. How does Miggs die?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Clarice rewarded or punished for her actions in Raspail's storage area and her subsequent conversation with Dr. Lecter?
2. Where does the FBI go to try to find out Buffalo Bill's true identity, and what is the result?
3. In Chapter 26, how does the staff of the hospital ensure their safety and Dr. Lecter's cooperation while they are cleaning his cell, and how does Dr. Lecter entertain himself while they do this?
4. Working under time pressure, what information will Clarice present to Dr. Lecter as inside information? Why is Clarice not to trust Dr. Chilton?
5. What creature does Clarice compare Dr. Chilton to and why?
6. What does Crawford think about Dr. Lecter's eerily accurate prediction that the girl would be scalped? How does Crawford feel about Dr. Lecter's other, unsubstantiated prediction?
7. In Chapter 27, what does Chilton tell Dr. Lecter about the FBI to instill doubt in their honesty with Dr. Lecter?
8. Why is Dr. Lecter called "Hannibal the Cannibal"? Give an example. Does his viciousness tell you anything about his psychoses?
9. Why would Dr. Lecter be offended by being interviewed by a FBI trainee? How does he control the environment around him? How does he control the conversation with Clarice?
10. Why does Dr. Lecter refer to Clarice as a "cheap redneck, one generation out of the mines"? What might he hope to accomplish by insulting her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is used several times throughout the novel. Where do you see foreshadowing being used? What events are being foreshadowed? Why do you think Thomas Harris chose these events to foreshadow? Is the technique effective? How?
Essay Topic 2
One theme of this book is control and the loss or lack of it. Which characters seem to have control over their own situations, if any? Which characters are defined by their lack of control, and how do they work to gain control? Does control seem to be important to the FBI? The senator? Jame Gumb? Dr. Chilton? Clarice? Dr. Lecter? Jack Crawford? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The climax of the story is outlined in a fast paced, exciting scene. Describe the story's climax, how it can be identified as the climax, and how it set up the resolution.
This section contains 1,286 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)