|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miggs throw at Clarice?
2. How long does the FBI have before the Baltimore police department begins to "strong-arm" Dr. Lecter for information on the victim's whereabouts?
3. What is unique about Dr. Lecter's accommodations?
4. Why did Clarice get angry with Jack Crawford at the funeral home?
5. What is Clarice doing in Chapter 1 when she is called to the Section Chief's office?
Short Essay Questions
1. Though Dr. Lecter does not believe the senator's offer is genuine because Crawford would never allow Dr. Lecter to benefit, for what does Dr. Lecter agree to offer his cooperation in exchange for, and how does he begin collecting on the proposal immediately?
2. What does Dr. Chilton do to thwart the FBI and insert himself into the Catherine Martin investigation?
3. What happens to frustrate Clarice after she learns of Catherine Martin's abduction by Buffalo Bill?
4. Do you think Clarice sees Crawford as a father figure? Why or why not?
5. What benefits comprise the proposal package that Clarice puts together for Dr. Lecter in Senator Martin's name, and what is unique about the vacation spot?
6. In Chapter 18, Crawford explains that he wants Clarice to talk to Dr. Lecter again. Why?
7. How does Senator Martin try to affect Buffalo Bill psychologically?
8. What might the Black Witch Moth symbolize to Buffalo Bill?
9. How does Clarice demonstrate her resourcefulness at the storage unit crime scene?
10. In Chapter 26, how does the staff of the hospital ensure their safety and Dr. Lecter's cooperation while they are cleaning his cell, and how does Dr. Lecter entertain himself while they do this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clarice's childhood is an important part of the story. What events occurred to lead her to a career with the FBI? Do you think if her father had not been in "law enforcement" and had still died at the hands of criminals that Clarice would have chosen the same career path? Why or why not? How do you think her time at the horse (glue) farm affected her future choices? Why? Do you think Clarice will be able to let go of her past and let the "lambs stop screaming"? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used several times throughout the novel. Where do you see foreshadowing being used? What events are being foreshadowed? Why do you think Thomas Harris chose these events to foreshadow? Is the technique effective? How?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Jame Gumb's basement. How did he use the back rooms? Why did he stop using the back rooms? Where does he keep Catherine Martin? What does he call his victims to depersonalize them? What does he demand that his victims do to their skin every day and why?
This section contains 1,322 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)