|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clarice demonstrate her superior hand strength?
2. How does Buffalo Bill abduct his latest victim in Chapter 15?
3. How does Miggs die?
4. What does Noble Pilcher tell Clarice that the word "moth" once meant?
5. Who keeps Clarice from getting more information from Dr. Lecter?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Catherine Martin examines her situation, what does she see, and what does she come to realize?
2. How does Dr. Lecter work his way into the Buffalo Bill investigation when his only purpose to the FBI was to be as a tool for study through his psychological evaluation? Again, how does he show his disdain for law enforcement? If he is so anti-authority, why does he speak with Clarice?
3. How do Dr. Lecter's taunts and remarks affect Clarice? Is her character strong enough to face a madman like Dr. Lecter?
4. What creature does Clarice compare Dr. Chilton to and why?
5. Why is Clarice so eager to get into Raspail's storage unit? Does she truly think that any tip from Dr. Lecter would be true?
6. In Chapter 27, what does Chilton tell Dr. Lecter about the FBI to instill doubt in their honesty with Dr. Lecter?
7. Do you think that Clarice's actions at the storage space were born out of desperation?
8. What factors might have combined to make Catherine Martin vulnerable to attack?
9. In Chapter 26, how does the staff of the hospital ensure their safety and Dr. Lecter's cooperation while they are cleaning his cell, and how does Dr. Lecter entertain himself while they do this?
10. How does Senator Martin try to affect Buffalo Bill psychologically?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Clarisse first visits Dr. Lecter, she follows Crawford's directions on how to handle Dr. Lecter to the letter. Dr. Lecter baits her, trying to break the FBI profiler "trainee" so he can send her back to Crawford as an example. Why doesn't Dr. Lecter's ploy work? How does Clarisse counteract Dr. Lecter's prodding and teasing? Do you think Dr. Lecter would have treated her differently if she had been a man? If so, how? Would Dr. Lecter show more or less respect to a man? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Jame Gumb's basement. How did he use the back rooms? Why did he stop using the back rooms? Where does he keep Catherine Martin? What does he call his victims to depersonalize them? What does he demand that his victims do to their skin every day and why?
Essay Topic 3
There are several symbols in the story. Identify at least three symbols used in the story. What do the symbols represent? Do the symbols mean the same thing throughout the story? How do the symbols impact the readers' understanding of the plot? How do they add substance to the character using the symbol?
This section contains 1,296 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)