|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is notable about the vacation spot that Senator Martin offers to Dr. Lecter in return for information to aid in the return of her daughter?
2. How does Miggs die?
3. How does Buffalo Bill abduct his latest victim in Chapter 15?
4. Where and how does Starling find the bug cocoon?
5. What does Miggs throw at Clarice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think that Clarice's actions at the storage space were born out of desperation?
2. What did Dr. Lecter do for a living before he was imprisoned as a serial killer? What repercussions might be the result of his previous employment?
3. Why doesn't Dr. Lecter think that Buffalo Bill is a sadist, and what does he think Buffalo Bill actually wants?
4. Why is Clarice so eager to run headlong into uncertainty?
5. What benefits comprise the proposal package that Clarice puts together for Dr. Lecter in Senator Martin's name, and what is unique about the vacation spot?
6. How does Clarice tactfully clear the room of excess law enforcement at the funeral home where the latest victim's body is being kept?
7. As Catherine Martin examines her situation, what does she see, and what does she come to realize?
8. In Chapter 18, Crawford explains that he wants Clarice to talk to Dr. Lecter again. Why?
9. What were the circumstances surrounding Benjamin Raspail's death? What was his actual cause of death?
10. How does Clarice display her attention to detail while examining the victim's body in Chapter 12?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Catherine Martin's abduction finally bring the FBI much needed reinforcements to the search for Buffalo Bill? Do you think the case would have taken longer to solve had she not been a senator's daughter?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Jame Gumb's basement. How did he use the back rooms? Why did he stop using the back rooms? Where does he keep Catherine Martin? What does he call his victims to depersonalize them? What does he demand that his victims do to their skin every day and why?
Essay Topic 3
Strength and perseverance keep Catherine Martin from losing hope once she has been abducted. Though her situation seems hopeless, she finds an inner strength to fight her character.Catherine Martin is a very clever girl, and she is not about to go down without a fight. How does Catherine show her strength and spoil Buffalo Bill's plans for her? How does he react? Is Buffalo Bill a strong person, or is his weakness part of what makes up his character?
This section contains 1,317 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)