|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Miggs die?
2. What happened to Benjamin Raspail's car?
3. What question does Buffalo Bill ask of the girl he abducts in Chapter 15?
4. What is the name of the brilliant serial killer housed in the Baltimore State Hospital for the Criminally Insane?
5. When Clarice moved to her new home after the death of her father, what did she discover was the purpose of that location?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to frustrate Clarice after she learns of Catherine Martin's abduction by Buffalo Bill?
2. As Catherine Martin examines her situation, what does she see, and what does she come to realize?
3. Why is Dr. Lecter called "Hannibal the Cannibal"? Give an example. Does his viciousness tell you anything about his psychoses?
4. Where does the FBI go to try to find out Buffalo Bill's true identity, and what is the result?
5. What were the circumstances surrounding Benjamin Raspail's death? What was his actual cause of death?
6. How does Clarice tactfully clear the room of excess law enforcement at the funeral home where the latest victim's body is being kept?
7. What creature does Clarice compare Dr. Chilton to and why?
8. What does Dr. Chilton do to thwart the FBI and insert himself into the Catherine Martin investigation?
9. In Chapter 1, who is the serial killer the FBI wants to interview, and what does he offer to Clarice?
10. Why would Dr. Lecter be offended by being interviewed by a FBI trainee? How does he control the environment around him? How does he control the conversation with Clarice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Strength and perseverance keep Catherine Martin from losing hope once she has been abducted. Though her situation seems hopeless, she finds an inner strength to fight her character.Catherine Martin is a very clever girl, and she is not about to go down without a fight. How does Catherine show her strength and spoil Buffalo Bill's plans for her? How does he react? Is Buffalo Bill a strong person, or is his weakness part of what makes up his character?
Essay Topic 2
Jack Crawford's wife, Bella, is dying. He is consumed with guilt about her illness and his inability to be with her at all times. How does Crawford manifest this guilt in his work? Do you think his pursuit of Buffalo Bill is intensified because of this guilt? Explain why or why not, using references from the book to support your choice.
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 37, the guards' carelessness results in chaos. Dr. Lecter has planned the perfect escape. Describe what occurs during the chaos following the shots heard while the courthouse is filled with officers waiting to relieve the eleven to seven shift. Exactly how does Dr. Lecter fulfill his plan?
This section contains 1,337 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)