|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author of "Essay on Rime"?
(a) Samuel Gallina.
(b) Jesse Simpson.
(c) Karl Shapiro.
(d) Andrea Del Gato.
2. What genre of art influenced Cage?
(b) New Realism.
(c) Victorian Revival.
3. What composer wrote "Klavierstücke XI"?
(a) Manuel de Falla.
(b) Karlheinz Stockhausen.
(c) Nikolai Medtner.
(d) Ottorino Respighi.
4. "The Future of Music: Credo" was first printed to accompany a recording from whom?
(a) Samuel Sawnee.
(b) George Avakian.
(c) John Helen.
(d) Adam White.
5. Who asked Cage to discuss his "Music of Changes"?
(a) Wolfgang Steinecke.
(b) Luciano Berio.
(c) Franco Evangelisti.
(d) Henri Pousseur.
6. In what year was "Composition: To Describe the Process of Composition Used in 'Music for Piano" first published?
7. Who said, "John, I dearly love you, but I can't bear another minute"?
(a) Louise Bourgeois.
(b) Romaine Brooks..
(c) Lee Bontecou.
(d) Jeanne Reynal.
8. What would Cage rather do than write about Erik Satie?
(a) Gather mushrooms.
(c) Grab a drink with friends.
(d) Work on his music.
9. What composer wrote "Duo II for Pianists"?
(a) Julius Eastman.
(b) Earle Brown.
(c) Morton Feldman.
(d) Christian Wolff.
10. What college was Cage attending when he took a course where he wrote in the manner of Gertrude Stein?
(a) Pomona College.
(b) Palo Alto College.
(c) California State University.
(d) Black Lake College.
11. Cage recalls going to the Bolshoi Ballet with whom?
(a) Arnold Schoenberg.
(b) Erik Satie.
(c) David Tudor.
(d) M. C. Richards.
12. According to Cage, "Forerunners of Modern Music" was translated into what other language?
13. In the "Definitions" section of "Forerunners of Modern Music," what term is music's "divisibility into successive parts from phrases to long sections"?
14. Who asked Cage why he did not give a conventional and informative lecture?
(a) Joanna Baillie.
(b) Elisaveta Bagryana.
(c) Pam Ayres.
(d) M. C. Richards.
15. What female author did Cage ask Dr. Suzuki about at dinner?
(a) George Eliot.
(b) Gertrude Stein.
(c) Louisa May Alcott.
(d) Charlotte Brontë.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state was "The Future of Music: Credo" first printed?
2. One of the questions Cage asked in "Composition as Process--3" was if anyone had seen this man lately?
3. In the "Strategy" section of "Forerunners of Modern Music," what term does Cage say "is properly mind-controlled"?
4. Who said he loves philosophical debates because no one wins?
5. Who did Erik Satie describe as stupid and weak, according to Cage's essay on him?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)