|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the "Strategy" section of "Forerunners of Modern Music," what term does Cage say "may be planned or improvised"?
2. What college was Cage attending when he took a course where he wrote in the manner of Gertrude Stein?
(a) California State University.
(b) Pomona College.
(c) Black Lake College.
(d) Palo Alto College.
3. Who did Yun Kiang meet while rambling to the east?
(a) Kwang Tse.
(b) Kuong Chuo.
(c) Hung Mung.
(d) Ming Yao.
4. What male author did Cage ask Dr. Suzuki about at dinner?
(a) Graham Greene.
(b) George Orwell.
(c) James Joyce.
(d) Kurt Vonnegut.
5. In what year were all three parts of "Composition as Process" given?
6. How long had Erik Satie been dead when Cage wrote an essay about him?
(a) Over 10 years.
(b) Over 50 years.
(c) Over 30 years.
(d) Over 100 years.
7. Cage had a method for bringing about unpredictability where he tossed how many coins?
(a) Four coins.
(b) Three coins.
(c) Six coins.
(d) Two coins.
8. In what state was "The Future of Music: Credo" first printed?
(d) New York.
9. What composer wrote "Duo II for Pianists"?
(a) Earle Brown.
(b) Morton Feldman.
(c) Christian Wolff.
(d) Julius Eastman.
10. What was the occupation of the person Cage thanks at the end of his foreword?
(a) Professor of music.
(b) Radio disc jockey.
(c) Sound mixer.
(d) Bank teller.
11. Into what language was "Composition: To Describe the Process of Composition Used in 'Music for Piano" translated?
12. What composer wrote "Indices"?
(a) Morton Feldman.
(b) Earle Brown.
(c) Julius Eastman.
(d) Christian Wolff.
13. Who had 12 tones and governed the La Domaine Musicale, according to Cage's essay on Erik Satie?
(a) Pierre Boulez.
(b) Samuel Graham.
(c) Ronaldo Di Bucca.
(d) Thomas Mann.
14. When was "Experimental Music" first presented?
15. According to Cage, who had probably never given Erik Satie a thought?
(a) Karlheinz Stockhausen.
(b) Manuel de Falla.
(c) Nikolai Medtner.
(d) Ottorino Respighi.
Short Answer Questions
1. What grade did Cage get in a college class the first time he wrote in the manner of Gertrude Stein?
2. Cage had a method for bringing about unpredictability where he tossed coins how many times?
3. Who said there is evil in the world "to thicken the plot"?
4. "Music of Changes" was originally written for what instrument?
5. "The Future of Music: Credo" was first printed to accompany a recording from whom?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)