|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cage presented "Lecture on Nothing" at a club on what street?
2. What composer wrote "The Art of the Fugue"?
(a) Karlheinz Stockhausen.
(b) Nikolai Medtner.
(c) Johann Sebastian Bach.
(d) Ottorino Respighi.
3. In what state was "Composition: To Describe the Process of Composition Used in 'Music for Piano'" first printed in English?
(b) New York.
4. Who did Erik Satie describe as stupid and weak, according to Cage's essay on him?
(b) His father.
(c) His former mentor.
5. What country did Cage's dad falsely say the family would visit?
(a) New Zealand.
6. According to Cage's essay on him, Erik Satie said who was not clumsy in his publicity?
7. What religion influenced Cage?
8. "Edgard Varese" was first published in what publication?
(a) Muzica Moderna.
(b) Critical Musicology Journal.
(c) Nutida Musik.
(d) Musical Traditions.
9. "Forerunners of Modern Music" was first published in what journal?
(a) The Crow's Beak.
(b) The Tiger's Eye.
(c) The Shark's Tooth.
(d) The Lion's Paw.
10. In the "Strategy" section of "Forerunners of Modern Music," what term does Cage say "may be controlled or not, as one chooses"?
11. Yun Kiang met a man who acted like what animal?
(a) A dog.
(b) A bird.
(c) A cat.
(d) A rabbit.
12. Who accompanied Cage and eight children on a trip to a zoo?
(a) Claire Austen.
(b) Merce Cunningham.
(c) Barbara Lawson.
(d) Christina Linus.
13. What group asked Cage whether the American avant-garde followed the same direction as the European one?
(a) The Belgians.
(b) The Austrians.
(c) The Germans.
(d) The Polish.
14. According to Cage's essay, Erik Satie said he was tired of dying of what?
(a) Lung cancer.
(c) The flu.
(d) A broken heart.
15. Who does Cage thank at the end of his foreword?
(a) Leonard Bernstein.
(b) Ernest Bloch.
(c) Richard K. Winslow.
(d) Benjamin Britten.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had 12 tones and governed the La Domaine Musicale, according to Cage's essay on Erik Satie?
2. When was "Experimental Music" first printed?
3. "Music of Changes" was originally written for what instrument?
4. In what year was "Composition: To Describe the Process of Composition Used in 'Music for Piano" first published?
5. What genre of art influenced Cage?
This section contains 365 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)