|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jim say goodbye to Ann in Act 3, Scene 3?
2. What do the doctors tell Jim at the end of the second scene in Act 3?
3. According to Ann, who thinks that Jim should stay in the hospital?
4. How does Jim tell Dr. Bellman that he feels in Act 3, Scene 4?
5. Who is Miss Wingate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The other patients are used to contrast Jim's situation at different times during the play.
1) What are the most significant differences between Jim and the other patients? Why are those differences necessary to his position?
2) Describe the patients that you think are the most similar to Jim and the ones that are the most different. For each of them, what role do they play in the plot and the overall message?
Essay Topic 2
Kramm uses various literary devices to make his points in The Shrike.
1) Identify and describe 3 examples of foreshadowing in the play.
2) Identify and describe 3 examples of symbolism in the play.
3) For the above examples, explain what they added to the play, and why the author choose to use them at those specific times.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Jim's theory about life and death and why he does not view his suicide attempt as selfish. Analyze his thought process and whether or not it is valid. Also, explain his ideas about mourning and how they show a larger problem for him and the way he looks at life. Use examples from the play to analyze Jim's theory and what part it played in his eventual captivity.
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)