|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Wingate tell Jim to do at the end of Act 2, Scene 3?
2. What does Dr. Bellman keep in the last scene of the play?
3. How does Jim respond to Tom's suggestion?
4. As the first scene in Act 3 ends, what will Jim always be in, according to Harry?
5. What does Jim want to know in Act 2, Scene 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The staff at the hospital played a necessary role in Jim's stay, state of mind, and actions.
1) Describe the characters you think were the most influential in Jim's hospital stay, how they were depicted, and the ways they affected Jim's actions.
2) Which scenes that included Jim's interactions with the hospital staff were the most important to the plot? Explain the specific part of the scenes and how they were significant to the play.
3) Why do you think there were so many different doctors and attendants that interacted with Jim? What does that display for the hospital's role in the play? Why is this effective in leading to the eventual outcome?
Essay Topic 2
In The Shrike, the author uses the background to illustrate certain aspects of the play and its characters.
1) Describe 3 examples of how imagery or scenery is used in the play and what each one represents.
2) For the examples in Part 1, explain how they relate back to the character or characters in that scene.
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Barrow recommends to Ann that she question Jim when he first becomes conscious.
1) What is the doctor's reason for talking to Jim in a semi-conscious state? Why is it relevant to the type of information retrieved from him?
2) Using the information revealed later in the play, how do Jim's initial responses accurately confirm what the doctor stated? Why is this both ironic and symbolic of later events? How is Ann's response an indication of her true motives in the same way that Jim's response reflects his?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)