|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only way Charlotte will be allowed to see Jim?
2. What is Jim warned about after his "violent" outburst?
3. What is Jim doing at the end of Act 2, Scene 5?
4. What does Ann ask Jim about Charlotte in Act 2, Scene 4?
5. How does Jim say goodbye to Ann in Act 3, Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the difference in Jim's mood and behavior in the beginning of the play with how it changes throughout the events that take place. Include what causes the change and whether or not you think it is justified. Use the book as a reference and provide examples for your analysis.
Essay Topic 2
Ann clearly has an agenda.
1) Describe Ann's character in detail, including the personality traits that you think are the most important, and how the author displays them.
2) Explain what Ann's objective is and why she is willing to act in extreme ways to attain it.
3) Why do you think Ann wants Jim to return to their marriage so badly? Describe the events in the book that might lead to the answer.
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Barrow recommends to Ann that she question Jim when he first becomes conscious.
1) What is the doctor's reason for talking to Jim in a semi-conscious state? Why is it relevant to the type of information retrieved from him?
2) Using the information revealed later in the play, how do Jim's initial responses accurately confirm what the doctor stated? Why is this both ironic and symbolic of later events? How is Ann's response an indication of her true motives in the same way that Jim's response reflects his?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)