|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jim warned about after his "violent" outburst?
2. What does Ann ask Jim about Charlotte in Act 2, Scene 4?
3. How many days after Act 3, Scene 2 does Act 3, Scene 3 take place?
4. What does Dr. Bellman ask Jim in Act 3, Scene 4?
5. What happens between two of the patients after Miss Wingate leaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain in detail what "seven" is and what it actually represents in terms of Jim's character and the hospital in general. Use the events in the book to analyze how "seven" was used, citing specific examples to illustrate its purpose.
Essay Topic 2
The staff at the hospital played a necessary role in Jim's stay, state of mind, and actions.
1) Describe the characters you think were the most influential in Jim's hospital stay, how they were depicted, and the ways they affected Jim's actions.
2) Which scenes that included Jim's interactions with the hospital staff were the most important to the plot? Explain the specific part of the scenes and how they were significant to the play.
3) Why do you think there were so many different doctors and attendants that interacted with Jim? What does that display for the hospital's role in the play? Why is this effective in leading to the eventual outcome?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Jim's theory about life and death and why he does not view his suicide attempt as selfish. Analyze his thought process and whether or not it is valid. Also, explain his ideas about mourning and how they show a larger problem for him and the way he looks at life. Use examples from the play to analyze Jim's theory and what part it played in his eventual captivity.
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)