|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jim agree to in Act 2, Scene 4?
2. Who is Miss Wingate?
3. What are some of the other patients doing in the background of the final scene in Act 2?
4. What does Ann tell Jim about the theater job in Act 2, Scene 4?
5. What has Ann done with Jim's phone service?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Ann appear in the very beginning of the play? Why is it important that she is not revealing any signs of her real intentions for Jim? How does this play a crucial role in her ability to gain the trust of the doctors and hospital staff?
Essay Topic 2
The first scene features Jim being admitted into the hospital in a manner that foreshadows future events.
1) How is Jim first introduced and what are the circumstances around his hospital visit? What is the significance of the way he is brought in and the explanation given at his arrival? How do the doctors attempt to gain information from him and what does he provide them with? Why is this important to the plot?
2) Describe the letter that is referred to in the first scene and why it is a clue that becomes more substantial later in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Explain in detail what "seven" is and what it actually represents in terms of Jim's character and the hospital in general. Use the events in the book to analyze how "seven" was used, citing specific examples to illustrate its purpose.
This section contains 326 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)