Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the doctors tell Jim at the end of the second scene in Act 3?
2. What does Tom ask Jim about?
3. What kind of test do the doctors give Jim in the second scene of Act 3?
4. Why does Ann tell Jim to endorse his paycheck to her?
5. What are some of the other patients doing in the background of the final scene in Act 2?
Essay Topic 1
The other patients are used to contrast Jim's situation at different times during the play.
1) What are the most significant differences between Jim and the other patients? Why are those differences necessary to his position?
2) Describe the patients that you think are the most similar to Jim and the ones that are the most different. For each of them, what role do they play in the plot and the overall message?
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Barrow recommends to Ann that she question Jim when he first becomes conscious.
1) What is the doctor's reason for talking to Jim in a semi-conscious state? Why is it relevant to the type of information retrieved from him?
2) Using the information revealed later in the play, how do Jim's initial responses accurately confirm what the doctor stated? Why is this both ironic and symbolic of later events? How is Ann's response an indication of her true motives in the same way that Jim's response reflects his?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze why the author chooses The Shrike for the title of the book. Describe in detail what a shrike is and which characters personify it the most in the play. Include a description of the events the characters are involved in and how they they reflect a shrike's actions.
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)