|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What starts as Act 2 ends?
2. Who is Dr. Bellman meeting with at the beginning of the second scene in Act 3?
3. What causes Jim to lose his patience in the last scene in Act 2?
4. What does Jim learn about Ann as the third scene in Act 2 ends?
5. What does Dr. Bellman ask Jim in Act 3, Scene 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The staff at the hospital played a necessary role in Jim's stay, state of mind, and actions.
1) Describe the characters you think were the most influential in Jim's hospital stay, how they were depicted, and the ways they affected Jim's actions.
2) Which scenes that included Jim's interactions with the hospital staff were the most important to the plot? Explain the specific part of the scenes and how they were significant to the play.
3) Why do you think there were so many different doctors and attendants that interacted with Jim? What does that display for the hospital's role in the play? Why is this effective in leading to the eventual outcome?
Essay Topic 2
Kramm uses various literary devices to make his points in The Shrike.
1) Identify and describe 3 examples of foreshadowing in the play.
2) Identify and describe 3 examples of symbolism in the play.
3) For the above examples, explain what they added to the play, and why the author choose to use them at those specific times.
Essay Topic 3
The other patients are used to contrast Jim's situation at different times during the play.
1) What are the most significant differences between Jim and the other patients? Why are those differences necessary to his position?
2) Describe the patients that you think are the most similar to Jim and the ones that are the most different. For each of them, what role do they play in the plot and the overall message?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)