|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the doctors tell Jim at the end of the second scene in Act 3?
2. What does Tom ask Jim about?
3. What kind of test do the doctors give Jim in the second scene of Act 3?
4. Why does Ann tell Jim to endorse his paycheck to her?
5. What are some of the other patients doing in the background of the final scene in Act 2?
Essay Topic 1
The other patients are used to contrast Jim's situation at different times during the play.
1) What are the most significant differences between Jim and the other patients? Why are those differences necessary to his position?
2) Describe the patients that you think are the most similar to Jim and the ones that are the most different. For each of them, what role do they play in the plot and the overall message?
Essay Topic 2
The first scene features Jim being admitted into the hospital in a manner that foreshadows future events.
1) How is Jim first introduced and what are the circumstances around his hospital visit? What is the significance of the way he is brought in and the explanation given at his arrival? How do the doctors attempt to gain information from him and what does he provide them with? Why is this important to the plot?
2) Describe the letter that is referred to in the first scene and why it is a clue that becomes more substantial later in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Kramm uses various literary devices to make his points in The Shrike.
1) Identify and describe 3 examples of foreshadowing in the play.
2) Identify and describe 3 examples of symbolism in the play.
3) For the above examples, explain what they added to the play, and why the author choose to use them at those specific times.
This section contains 1,691 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)