|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Jim feeling when Harry visits him?
2. What does Jim tell Ann he is afraid of?
3. How many days have passed between Act 2 and Act 3?
4. How does Jim respond to Tom's suggestion?
5. What does Dr. Bellman ask Jim in Act 3, Scene 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Jim's theory about life and death and why he does not view his suicide attempt as selfish. Analyze his thought process and whether or not it is valid. Also, explain his ideas about mourning and how they show a larger problem for him and the way he looks at life. Use examples from the play to analyze Jim's theory and what part it played in his eventual captivity.
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Barrow recommends to Ann that she question Jim when he first becomes conscious.
1) What is the doctor's reason for talking to Jim in a semi-conscious state? Why is it relevant to the type of information retrieved from him?
2) Using the information revealed later in the play, how do Jim's initial responses accurately confirm what the doctor stated? Why is this both ironic and symbolic of later events? How is Ann's response an indication of her true motives in the same way that Jim's response reflects his?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the hospital in Act 1, Scene 1, including the atmosphere, staff, and doctors. Use examples from the play to depict how the patients are given a limited amount of freedom there. Also, include which characters contribute to the overall setting the most and the least. What is Kramm trying to establish in the beginning of the play?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)