|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time is it when Act 1, Scene 3 opens?
2. What does Grosberg tell Jim that some other patients do not need in order to be released?
(a) To be fully functional.
(b) Their doctor's consent.
(c) Their wife's permission.
(d) To spend time in the convalescent ward.
3. Where did Jim go right after he took the pills?
(b) To the kitchen.
(c) To his car.
(d) To the terrace.
4. Why does the doctor ask Ann about the name, Charlotte?
(a) Jim keeps repeating the name.
(b) Jim told the doctor about Charlotte the week before.
(c) Jim has the name and number on a note in his pocket.
(d) Jim mentioned the name in his letter.
5. What does Mr. Fleming give to Grosberg?
(a) A pencil.
(c) A bottle.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jim first appear in the third scene of Act 1?
2. How does Dr. Barrow respond to Ann's outlook on life as the second scene of the play ends?
3. How does Jim respond to Ann after he first wakes up?
4. How does Jim appear as Act 2 begins?
5. According to Jim, how would all of the people he knows react to his death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Ann and Dr. Schlesinger talking in the beginning of Act 1, Scene 4, and what is their reason for hiding it from Jim?
2. When does Act 3, Scene 2 take place and who is meeting at the beginning of the scene?
3. According to the doctors in the second scene of Act 3, how has Jim been behaving?
4. What is "seven" and what is its purpose in the play?
5. What is Jim's theory about life and death, and why his suicide attempt should not been seen as selfish?
6. Who is Harry, what is he like, and how does Jim respond to him?
7. What is the important discovery Jim makes about Ann at the end of Act 1?
8. How are the patients in the convalescent ward described, and what is the contrast between them and Jim in Act 2, Scene 1?
9. What name does Jim keep repeating, how does Ann respond to the name in Act 1, Scene 1, and what does Dr. Kramer tell her as the scene ends?
10. How does Jim's visit with Dr. Bellman highlight the hospital's flaws when it comes to the way they treat patients?
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)