|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ann tell Jim when he first wakes up in the hospital?
(a) That she has called his family.
(b) That she is paying for the doctor bills.
(c) That she loves him.
(d) That she wants a divorce.
2. Why does the doctor ask Ann about the name, Charlotte?
(a) Jim keeps repeating the name.
(b) Jim told the doctor about Charlotte the week before.
(c) Jim mentioned the name in his letter.
(d) Jim has the name and number on a note in his pocket.
3. How old is Dr. Kramer?
(a) About 30.
(b) About 25.
(c) About 40.
(d) About 35.
4. What does Mr. Fleming tell Jim about the convalescent ward?
(a) Patients never leave there.
(b) Patients there do not want to leave.
(c) Patients leave there more quickly than they think.
(d) Patients do not leave there as quickly as they would like.
5. What happens in "seven", according to what the other patients tell Jim?
(a) Patients are sedated.
(b) Patients are strapped down and put in a straight jacket.
(c) Patients are questioned.
(d) Patients are given electrotherapy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Jim get the pills to take?
2. What floor of the hospital does the first scene of Act 2 take place on?
3. What does the nurse suggest to Ann in the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What does Jim tell the doctor is affecting his work negatively?
5. What does Jim tell the doctor about Charlotte in the fourth scene of Act 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ann do in the beginning of Act 3 that adds to her control over Jim?
2. Who is Tom and what is the purpose for his visit in Act 3, Scene 3?
3. How does the conversation between Ann and Dr. Schlesinger have a negative effect on Jim's chances to leave the hospital, and what are Ann's possible motives for her opinion?
4. What is Jim's outburst and how is it symbolic?
5. How does Dr. Kramer assess Jim and what does that mean for his possible release?
6. What is Jim's mood like at the start of Act 1, Scene 5, and what does he learn about the convalescent ward?
7. What happens at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 3 that shocks Jim?
8. What does Jim tell Dr. Schlesinger about Ann, and how does the doctor respond?
9. How does Ann exercise even more control over Jim in Act 2, Scene 4?
10. What does Dr. Bellman try to do at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 4?
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)