|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jim tell the doctor about Charlotte in the fourth scene of Act 1?
(a) He only met her twice.
(b) He has been seeing her.
(c) He has no idea who she is.
(d) He refuses to talk about her.
2. As he explains to the doctor, what did Jim not have enough money to buy?
(a) Dessert for a friend.
(b) Theater tickets for a friend.
(c) Dinner for a friend.
(d) A gift for a friend.
3. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) The doctor's office.
(b) The examination room.
(c) The psychiatric ward.
(d) The convalescent ward.
4. What does Mr. Fleming give to Grosberg?
(a) A pencil.
(b) A bottle.
5. When was Jim's last play?
(a) Several years ago.
(b) A year ago.
(c) A few weeks ago.
(d) Several months ago.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ann tell Jim when he first wakes up in the hospital?
2. What reason does Ann give for why Jim might not be ready to leave for his job interview?
3. Who is the Miss Hansen?
4. How does Jim respond to Ann after he first wakes up?
5. What is the fear that the other patients have of "seven"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ann acting in Act 1, Scene 2, and what indication does she give the doctors about her intentions?
2. What test do the doctors give to Jim in Act 3, Scene 2, and what is the point of it?
3. What does Miss Wingate advise Jim of and why is it significant?
4. What is a shrike and why did the author choose it for the title of the play?
5. How is the convalescent ward compared to a prison sentence?
6. What do the actions of the other patients in Act 2, Scene 5 indicate?
7. How are the patients in the convalescent ward described, and what is the contrast between them and Jim in Act 2, Scene 1?
8. How is Jim calmed down after his outburst and what is again brought into focus?
9. What does Dr. Bellman try to do at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 4?
10. According to the doctors in the second scene of Act 3, how has Jim been behaving?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)