|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Dr. Bellman?
(a) A psychologist.
(b) A psychiatrist.
(c) A professor.
(d) A sociologist.
2. As he explains to the doctor, what did Jim not have enough money to buy?
(a) Dinner for a friend.
(b) A gift for a friend.
(c) Dessert for a friend.
(d) Theater tickets for a friend.
3. Who does Ann originally share her concerns with about Jim's ability to leave the hospital?
(a) Dr. Kramer and Dr. Barrow.
(b) Dr. Barrow and Grosberg.
(c) Dr. Schlesinger and Dr. Barrow.
(d) Dr. Barrow and Miss Hansen.
4. How does Jim appear as Act 2 begins?
5. What time is it when Act 1, Scene 3 opens?
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Jim Downs brought into the hospital?
2. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 5?
3. Among the various different patient types Jim meets in the beginning of Act 2, how do some of them seem to him?
4. What time is it at the start of Act 1, Scene 2?
5. How does Ann respond to the doctor's request that Jim be given his Last Rites?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "seven" and what is its purpose in the play?
2. What is significant about the time of year that the play takes place and what possible reason could the author have had for choosing it?
3. What do the actions of the other patients in Act 2, Scene 5 indicate?
4. What are the circumstances around Jim's suicide attempt, as revealed in the first scene?
5. What is the test that Dr. Bellman gives to Jim and how does it prove Jim's sanity?
6. What does Miss Wingate give Jim in Act 2, Scene 3, and what does it represent?
7. How does Ann exercise even more control over Jim in Act 2, Scene 4?
8. What is Jim's outburst and how is it symbolic?
9. What does Dr. Bellman try to do at the beginning of Act 3, Scene 4?
10. What does Jim tell Dr. Schlesinger about Ann, and how does the doctor respond?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)