|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of mood is Jim in as the fifth scene in the play begins?
(a) He is quiet.
(b) He is sad.
(c) He is upset.
(d) He is depressed.
2. When does Ann tell Jim his interview for the theater job is?
3. How is Jim Downs brought into the hospital?
(a) On a gurney.
(b) In a wheelchair.
(c) He is carried by two ambulance drivers.
(d) He walks in assisted by his wife.
4. According to Gregory, what is the patient's responsibility to prove?
(a) That the doctors are ignorant.
(b) That the doctors are crazy.
(c) That they are crazy.
(d) That they are not crazy.
5. What is Jim's main profession?
(a) He is a Broadway actor.
(b) He is a Broadway theatre director.
(c) He is a Broadway set decorator.
(d) He is a Broadway script writer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ann accept from Miss Cardell while she waits with Jim in the second scene of Act 1?
2. How does Jim respond to Ann after he first wakes up?
3. What does Jim challenge Grosberg about in Act 1, Scene 5?
4. What does Jim ask Grosberg to do for him?
5. What has Jim been depressed over?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the convalescent ward compared to a prison sentence?
2. What is significant about the time of year that the play takes place and what possible reason could the author have had for choosing it?
3. What does Ann do in the beginning of Act 3 that adds to her control over Jim?
4. What does Miss Wingate advise Jim of and why is it significant?
5. What is interesting about the doctors' ability to assess Jim at this point in the play?
6. How does Jim's visit with Dr. Bellman highlight the hospital's flaws when it comes to the way they treat patients?
7. What is the test that Dr. Bellman gives to Jim and how does it prove Jim's sanity?
8. Why are Ann and Dr. Schlesinger talking in the beginning of Act 1, Scene 4, and what is their reason for hiding it from Jim?
9. What is Jim's state of mind in Act 1, Scene 1, and what does he admit to?
10. What test do the doctors give to Jim in Act 3, Scene 2, and what is the point of it?
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)