|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ann realize as she enters in the fifth scene of Act 1?
(a) Jim's conversation with Dr. Barrow.
(b) Jim's conversation with Mr. Fleming and Grosberg.
(c) Jim's conversation with Miss Hansen and Miss Cardell.
(d) Jim's conversation with Dr. Schlesinger.
2. What is Dr. Schlesinger's decision at the end of Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Jim is well enough to leave the hospital, but not go to his interview.
(b) Jim will need to stay in the hospital for at least another month.
(c) Jim is not well enough to leave the hospital.
(d) Jim can only leave the hospital if he agrees to go home with Ann.
3. What does Dr. Bellman ask Jim in the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) To recount his suicide attempt.
(b) To recount the days leading up to his suicide attempt.
(c) To tell him about his hospital stay.
(d) To tell him about the letter.
4. What does Jim say when he becomes conscious at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) That he wants a cigarette.
(b) That he wants to die.
(c) That he wants a doctor.
(d) That he wants Charlotte.
5. Who is Gregory?
(a) Jim's attendant.
(b) Another patient.
(c) A visitor for another patient.
(d) A psychology expert.
6. What do patients reveal in a semi-conscious state, according to the doctor?
(a) Their reason for living.
(b) The people they care about the most.
(c) The people they dislike the most.
(d) Their true motives.
7. In the beginning of the play, what is critical to Jim's condition?
(a) The next 72 hours.
(b) The next week.
(c) The next 48 hours.
(d) The previous 24 hours.
8. How long has Ann been at Jim's bedside?
(a) For three hours.
(b) On and off since the day before.
(c) Since he was brought into the hospital.
(d) For one hour.
9. Who is Dr. Barrow?
(a) A sociologist.
(b) A pathologist.
(c) A psychiatrist.
(d) A psychologist.
10. What does Ann admit to Dr. Schlesinger about Jim's past?
(a) That he never really worked on Broadway.
(b) That he has always dramatized things.
(c) That he has had psychiatric problems.
(d) That he has not had psychiatric problems.
11. What day is it in Act 1, Scene 3?
12. Where did Jim go right after he took the pills?
(a) To the kitchen.
(b) To the terrace.
(d) To his car.
13. When was Jim's last play?
(a) A few weeks ago.
(b) Several months ago.
(c) Several years ago.
(d) A year ago.
14. How is Jim Downs brought into the hospital?
(a) On a gurney.
(b) He is carried by two ambulance drivers.
(c) He walks in assisted by his wife.
(d) In a wheelchair.
15. How does Jim initially respond to Dr. Bellman's request?
(a) He is rude.
(b) He is annoyed.
(c) He is nervous.
(d) He is silent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the setting for Act 1, Scene 5?
2. Who is Miss Cardell?
3. How does Jim appear as Act 2 begins?
4. When does the first scene of The Shrike take place?
5. How does Jim respond to Ann after he first wakes up?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)