|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Ann give for why Jim might not be ready to leave for his job interview?
(a) There is no job interview.
(b) His eyes do not focus properly.
(c) The interview is too far away.
(d) He will not get the job.
2. What does Ann think about Charlotte?
(a) That she tried to kill Jim.
(b) That she is behind Jim's suicide attempt.
(c) That she may be able to help Jim recover faster.
(d) She has no idea who Charlotte is.
3. How many pills does Jim admit to taking?
4. What is Dr. Schlesinger's decision at the end of Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Jim is not well enough to leave the hospital.
(b) Jim is well enough to leave the hospital, but not go to his interview.
(c) Jim can only leave the hospital if he agrees to go home with Ann.
(d) Jim will need to stay in the hospital for at least another month.
5. What does Ann realize as she enters in the fifth scene of Act 1?
(a) Jim's conversation with Dr. Schlesinger.
(b) Jim's conversation with Mr. Fleming and Grosberg.
(c) Jim's conversation with Dr. Barrow.
(d) Jim's conversation with Miss Hansen and Miss Cardell.
6. Among the various different patient types Jim meets in the beginning of Act 2, how do some of them seem to him?
7. Who is George O'Brien?
(a) A doctor.
(b) Jim's attendant.
(c) Another patient.
(d) A professor.
8. Why are many of the nurses away for the week?
(a) There is a flu epidemic.
(b) They are on strike.
(c) It is Thanksgiving.
(d) The hospital is cutting back on its staff.
9. What is likely to happen if a patient gets sent to "seven"?
(a) They will never leave.
(b) They will be kept there indefinitely.
(c) They will be transferred back to the psychiatric ward.
(d) They will be transferred to the state hospital.
10. What does Dr. Bellman give Jim at the end of the second scene in Act 2?
(a) A sanity test.
(b) A scholastic test.
(c) A physical examination.
11. Why does Jim feel that he is being detained in the fifth scene of the play?
(a) For very little reason.
(b) For paranoid reasons.
(c) For too many reasons.
(d) For no reason.
12. What do patients reveal in a semi-conscious state, according to the doctor?
(a) The people they care about the most.
(b) Their true motives.
(c) Their reason for living.
(d) The people they dislike the most.
13. How does Jim first appear in the third scene of Act 1?
(a) He is on the floor.
(b) He is missing.
(c) He is sitting up.
(d) He is asleep.
14. What has Jim been depressed over?
(a) His inability to work well with the other actors.
(b) His inability to write his next play.
(c) His inability to find the lead for his next play.
(d) His inability to recapture his professional success.
15. How old is Dr. Kramer?
(a) About 25.
(b) About 30.
(c) About 40.
(d) About 35.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ann tell Jim when he first wakes up in the hospital?
2. What does Jim tell the doctor about Charlotte in the fourth scene of Act 1?
3. How does Jim initially respond to Dr. Bellman's request?
4. In the beginning of the play, what is critical to Jim's condition?
5. When was Jim's last play?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)