|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jim tell the doctor about Charlotte in the fourth scene of Act 1?
(a) He has been seeing her.
(b) He refuses to talk about her.
(c) He has no idea who she is.
(d) He only met her twice.
2. Who is Miss Cardell?
(a) The student nurse.
(b) The head nurse.
(c) A psychologist.
(d) A doctor.
3. What is Dr. Kramer's evaluation of Jim in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) He is fine mentally.
(b) He does not know Jim's status.
(c) He is fine physically.
(d) He is not thoroughly healed physically.
4. What job does Jim currently hold?
(a) A manual labor job.
(b) A teaching job.
(c) An office job.
(d) He is unemployed.
5. Among the various different patient types Jim meets in the beginning of Act 2, how do some of them seem to him?
6. How did Jim get the pills to take?
(a) At one pharmacy in town.
(b) At different pharmacies in other towns.
(c) At different pharmacies around town.
(d) At one pharmacy in another town.
7. According to Jim, how would all of the people he knows react to his death?
(a) They would be devastated.
(b) They would celebrate.
(c) They would be over it soon.
(d) They would not even realize it.
8. How does Jim respond to the new job interview?
(a) He is scared.
(b) He is skeptical.
(c) He is unresponsive.
(d) He is excited.
9. What does Jim inform Ann of in the third scene of Act 1?
(a) That he will be returning home.
(b) That he will not be returning home.
(c) That he would rather she not call for a while.
(d) That he needs a vacation.
10. Who is Dr. Bellman?
(a) A psychiatrist.
(b) A sociologist.
(c) A professor.
(d) A psychologist.
11. What does Jim realize about Ann as Act 1 ends?
(a) That she fabricated the job interview.
(b) That she knew about the plan to move him.
(c) That she is crazier than he is.
(d) That she knows about Charlotte.
12. What does Mr. Fleming tell Jim about the convalescent ward?
(a) Patients never leave there.
(b) Patients there do not want to leave.
(c) Patients leave there more quickly than they think.
(d) Patients do not leave there as quickly as they would like.
13. Why does the doctor ask Ann about the name, Charlotte?
(a) Jim mentioned the name in his letter.
(b) Jim told the doctor about Charlotte the week before.
(c) Jim has the name and number on a note in his pocket.
(d) Jim keeps repeating the name.
14. Where does Act 2 open?
(a) The doctor's office.
(b) The psychiatric ward.
(c) The convalescent ward.
(d) The recreation room.
15. As he explains to the doctor, what did Jim not have enough money to buy?
(a) Dinner for a friend.
(b) Dessert for a friend.
(c) Theater tickets for a friend.
(d) A gift for a friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ann realize as she enters in the fifth scene of Act 1?
2. What reason does Ann give for why Jim might not be ready to leave for his job interview?
3. How long does Ann tell Jim his new location will be for?
4. When the doctor questions him in Act 1, Scene 2, what does Jim say about his life?
5. How does Ann respond to the doctor's request that Jim be given his Last Rites?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)