|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jim respond to Ann's statement at the end of Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) He is horrified.
(b) He is ignoring it.
(c) He is not surprised.
(d) He is confused.
2. What does the doctor ask Jim when he first wakes up?
(a) The reason for the type of pills he chose.
(b) The reason for his professional setbacks.
(c) His motives for separating with Ann.
(d) His motives for suicide.
3. What did Jim want to confirm before his suicide attempt?
(a) That his apartment would be rented to another person.
(b) That his G.I. Bill was in good standing, so that Ann would get the benefits.
(c) That his apartment lease would be paid.
(d) That his G.I. Bill was in good standing, so that Charlotte would get the benefits.
4. What does Ann insist to Dr. Barrow at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) That Jim really does like life.
(b) That she really does want to divorce him.
(c) That she wants the best specialists to examine Jim.
(d) That she loves Jim.
5. What does Jim think is a waste of time?
6. What does Mr. Fleming tell Jim about the convalescent ward?
(a) Patients there do not want to leave.
(b) Patients do not leave there as quickly as they would like.
(c) Patients never leave there.
(d) Patients leave there more quickly than they think.
7. In what way does Jim eventually respond to Dr. Bellman's first request?
(a) He refuses to comply.
(b) He complies.
(c) He berates the doctor.
(d) He requests to talk to a supervisor.
8. When was Jim's last play?
(a) Several months ago.
(b) A year ago.
(c) Several years ago.
(d) A few weeks ago.
9. Who is Miss Cardell?
(a) The head nurse.
(b) The student nurse.
(c) A psychologist.
(d) A doctor.
10. What does Dr. Barrow ask Ann about Jim's letter?
(a) If there are any explanations for suicide.
(b) If she has a copy of it.
(c) If there are any explanations for Charlotte.
(d) Why she didn't bring the letter with her.
11. Why does the doctor ask Ann about the name, Charlotte?
(a) Jim mentioned the name in his letter.
(b) Jim has the name and number on a note in his pocket.
(c) Jim keeps repeating the name.
(d) Jim told the doctor about Charlotte the week before.
12. Why does Jim feel that he is being detained in the fifth scene of the play?
(a) For too many reasons.
(b) For very little reason.
(c) For paranoid reasons.
(d) For no reason.
13. When does Ann tell Jim his interview for the theater job is?
14. What is the weather like in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) It is raining.
(b) It is snowing.
(c) It is cloudy.
(d) It is sunny.
15. What does Jim refuse to discuss with Dr. Bellman in Act 2, Scene 2?
(b) The theater.
(c) His brother.
(d) His job.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jim respond to Ann after he first wakes up?
2. Who is Dr. Bellman?
3. How does Jim describe suicide to Dr. Bellman?
4. How does Jim respond to the new job interview?
5. In the beginning of the play, what is critical to Jim's condition?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)