|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the nurse suggest to Ann in the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) That she goes home to rest.
(b) That she starts remembering what happened to Jim.
(c) That she goes home to get the money for the visit.
(d) That she starts thinking of which relatives to call.
2. What does Jim refuse to discuss with Dr. Bellman in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) His brother.
(b) His job.
(d) The theater.
3. What job does Jim currently hold?
(a) A manual labor job.
(b) An office job.
(c) He is unemployed.
(d) A teaching job.
4. What is Jim's state of mind when the doctors attempt to question him in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) He is unconscious.
(b) He is extremely alert.
(c) He is surprisingly coherent.
(d) He is too drowsy to respond.
5. As he explains to the doctor, what did Jim not have enough money to buy?
(a) Dessert for a friend.
(b) Theater tickets for a friend.
(c) Dinner for a friend.
(d) A gift for a friend.
6. What does Jim realize about Ann as Act 1 ends?
(a) That she fabricated the job interview.
(b) That she knows about Charlotte.
(c) That she knew about the plan to move him.
(d) That she is crazier than he is.
7. What does the doctor ask Jim when he first wakes up?
(a) The reason for the type of pills he chose.
(b) The reason for his professional setbacks.
(c) His motives for separating with Ann.
(d) His motives for suicide.
8. When does the first scene of The Shrike take place?
(a) Tuesday morning.
(b) Wednesday morning.
(c) Tuesday evening.
(d) Wednesday evening.
9. In the beginning of the play, what is critical to Jim's condition?
(a) The next week.
(b) The next 48 hours.
(c) The previous 24 hours.
(d) The next 72 hours.
10. What happens in "seven", according to what the other patients tell Jim?
(a) Patients are given electrotherapy.
(b) Patients are strapped down and put in a straight jacket.
(c) Patients are sedated.
(d) Patients are questioned.
11. What reason does Ann give for why Jim might not be ready to leave for his job interview?
(a) The interview is too far away.
(b) There is no job interview.
(c) He will not get the job.
(d) His eyes do not focus properly.
12. What do Grosberg and Mr. Fleming inform Jim of, which surprises him?
(a) That he is restricted from talking to the other patients.
(b) That he must follow the doctor's instructions or he will be placed in a straight jacket.
(c) That he is in the psychiatric building.
(d) That he is not really in a hospital.
13. How old is Dr. Kramer?
(a) About 25.
(b) About 40.
(c) About 35.
(d) About 30.
14. How did Jim get the pills to take?
(a) At one pharmacy in town.
(b) At one pharmacy in another town.
(c) At different pharmacies in other towns.
(d) At different pharmacies around town.
15. What does Ann tell Jim when he first wakes up in the hospital?
(a) That she has called his family.
(b) That she loves him.
(c) That she is paying for the doctor bills.
(d) That she wants a divorce.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Gregory, what is the patient's responsibility to prove?
2. What does Dr. Barrow ask Ann about Jim's letter?
3. What does Ann think about Charlotte?
4. How does Jim first appear in the third scene of Act 1?
5. What time is it at the start of Act 1, Scene 2?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)