|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jim reveal to the doctor about Ann in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) She is kind and loyal.
(b) She is crazy.
(c) She is cunning and manipulative.
(d) She is forgetful.
2. What does Ann insist to Dr. Barrow at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) That she really does want to divorce him.
(b) That she wants the best specialists to examine Jim.
(c) That she loves Jim.
(d) That Jim really does like life.
3. What does Mr. Fleming tell Jim about the convalescent ward?
(a) Patients leave there more quickly than they think.
(b) Patients do not leave there as quickly as they would like.
(c) Patients there do not want to leave.
(d) Patients never leave there.
4. What does Jim realize about Ann as Act 1 ends?
(a) That she knew about the plan to move him.
(b) That she is crazier than he is.
(c) That she fabricated the job interview.
(d) That she knows about Charlotte.
5. Why does the doctor ask Ann about the name, Charlotte?
(a) Jim told the doctor about Charlotte the week before.
(b) Jim has the name and number on a note in his pocket.
(c) Jim keeps repeating the name.
(d) Jim mentioned the name in his letter.
6. What did Jim want to confirm before his suicide attempt?
(a) That his apartment lease would be paid.
(b) That his apartment would be rented to another person.
(c) That his G.I. Bill was in good standing, so that Ann would get the benefits.
(d) That his G.I. Bill was in good standing, so that Charlotte would get the benefits.
7. How many days have passed since the previous scene as the third scene in Act 1 begins?
8. What does Grosberg tell Jim that some other patients do not need in order to be released?
(a) To spend time in the convalescent ward.
(b) To be fully functional.
(c) Their doctor's consent.
(d) Their wife's permission.
9. How long has Ann been at Jim's bedside?
(a) On and off since the day before.
(b) Since he was brought into the hospital.
(c) For three hours.
(d) For one hour.
10. What job does Jim currently hold?
(a) A teaching job.
(b) He is unemployed.
(c) An office job.
(d) A manual labor job.
11. How does Jim respond to Ann's statement at the end of Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) He is confused.
(b) He is not surprised.
(c) He is ignoring it.
(d) He is horrified.
12. How does Ann respond to the doctor's request that Jim be given his Last Rites?
(a) She refuses to believe it.
(b) She becomes angry at the doctor.
(c) She becomes hysterical.
(d) She is silent.
13. Why are many of the nurses away for the week?
(a) They are on strike.
(b) It is Thanksgiving.
(c) The hospital is cutting back on its staff.
(d) There is a flu epidemic.
14. Who is George O'Brien?
(a) A professor.
(b) A doctor.
(c) Another patient.
(d) Jim's attendant.
15. According to Jim, how would all of the people he knows react to his death?
(a) They would be devastated.
(b) They would celebrate.
(c) They would be over it soon.
(d) They would not even realize it.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does Jim eventually respond to Dr. Bellman's first request?
2. How long does Ann tell Jim his new location will be for?
3. What does Jim say when he becomes conscious at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What is the weather like in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. What does Dr. Bellman give Jim at the end of the second scene in Act 2?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)