|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jim want to confirm before his suicide attempt?
(a) That his apartment would be rented to another person.
(b) That his apartment lease would be paid.
(c) That his G.I. Bill was in good standing, so that Charlotte would get the benefits.
(d) That his G.I. Bill was in good standing, so that Ann would get the benefits.
2. What did the letter that Jim wrote indicate?
(a) His intent to get help for his problems.
(b) His intent to take his own life.
(c) His intent to leave town.
(d) His intent to divorce Ann.
3. What is Dr. Bellman unable to give Jim as Act 2, Scene 2 ends?
(a) The information they have collected while monitoring him.
(b) The people behind his prolonged stay.
(c) Hope of being released.
(d) A reason for his release.
4. When does the first scene of The Shrike take place?
(a) Wednesday evening.
(b) Wednesday morning.
(c) Tuesday evening.
(d) Tuesday morning.
5. What kind of mood is Jim in as the fifth scene in the play begins?
(a) He is depressed.
(b) He is sad.
(c) He is upset.
(d) He is quiet.
6. How does Dr. Barrow respond to Ann's outlook on life as the second scene of the play ends?
(a) He thinks it is a mistake.
(b) He thinks it is a negative sign.
(c) He thinks it is a positive sign.
(d) He thinks it is the reason for Jim's suicide attempt.
7. What does Jim say when he becomes conscious at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) That he wants Charlotte.
(b) That he wants a cigarette.
(c) That he wants to die.
(d) That he wants a doctor.
8. What is Jim's state of mind when the doctors attempt to question him in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) He is surprisingly coherent.
(b) He is too drowsy to respond.
(c) He is unconscious.
(d) He is extremely alert.
9. As he explains to the doctor, what did Jim not have enough money to buy?
(a) A gift for a friend.
(b) Dessert for a friend.
(c) Dinner for a friend.
(d) Theater tickets for a friend.
10. What time is it at the start of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) 12:00 midnight.
(b) 2:00 in the morning.
(c) 2:00 in the afternoon.
(d) 12:00 noon.
11. What happens in "seven", according to what the other patients tell Jim?
(a) Patients are strapped down and put in a straight jacket.
(b) Patients are given electrotherapy.
(c) Patients are sedated.
(d) Patients are questioned.
12. How does Jim respond to Ann's statement at the end of Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) He is not surprised.
(b) He is horrified.
(c) He is ignoring it.
(d) He is confused.
13. What job does Jim currently hold?
(a) A teaching job.
(b) A manual labor job.
(c) An office job.
(d) He is unemployed.
14. Why does Jim feel that he is being detained in the fifth scene of the play?
(a) For paranoid reasons.
(b) For no reason.
(c) For too many reasons.
(d) For very little reason.
15. How does Ann respond to the doctor's request that Jim be given his Last Rites?
(a) She refuses to believe it.
(b) She becomes angry at the doctor.
(c) She becomes hysterical.
(d) She is silent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Jim go right after he took the pills?
2. How many days have passed since the previous scene as the third scene in Act 1 begins?
3. What does Mr. Fleming tell Jim about the convalescent ward?
4. Who called Ann earlier in the day?
5. What reason does Ann give for why Jim might not be ready to leave for his job interview?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)