|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Jim go right after he took the pills?
(a) To the terrace.
(b) To the kitchen.
(c) To his car.
2. Who is Dr. Barrow?
(a) A pathologist.
(b) A psychiatrist.
(c) A sociologist.
(d) A psychologist.
3. When was Jim's last play?
(a) Several months ago.
(b) A few weeks ago.
(c) A year ago.
(d) Several years ago.
4. What is likely to happen if a patient gets sent to "seven"?
(a) They will be kept there indefinitely.
(b) They will never leave.
(c) They will be transferred back to the psychiatric ward.
(d) They will be transferred to the state hospital.
5. What happens in "seven", according to what the other patients tell Jim?
(a) Patients are sedated.
(b) Patients are given electrotherapy.
(c) Patients are strapped down and put in a straight jacket.
(d) Patients are questioned.
6. What does the doctor ask Jim when he first wakes up?
(a) His motives for suicide.
(b) The reason for the type of pills he chose.
(c) His motives for separating with Ann.
(d) The reason for his professional setbacks.
7. How does Jim feel that he has acted since entering the hospital, as he describes in Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) He has cooperated with some, not with others.
(b) He has not cooperated with anyone.
(c) He has cooperated with everyone.
(d) He has cooperated with everyone except Ann.
8. What does Jim say when he becomes conscious at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) That he wants Charlotte.
(b) That he wants to die.
(c) That he wants a cigarette.
(d) That he wants a doctor.
9. Who is Gregory?
(a) Jim's attendant.
(b) A visitor for another patient.
(c) A psychology expert.
(d) Another patient.
10. Why does the doctor ask Ann about the name, Charlotte?
(a) Jim has the name and number on a note in his pocket.
(b) Jim mentioned the name in his letter.
(c) Jim told the doctor about Charlotte the week before.
(d) Jim keeps repeating the name.
11. What is the state of some of the other patients Jim encounters in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) They are hostile.
(b) They are confused.
(c) They are happy.
(d) They are depressed.
12. What reason does Jim give Dr. Bellman for his suicide attempt?
(a) His obsession with pills.
(b) His job.
(c) His lack of friends.
(d) His insurance policy.
13. What does Ann admit to Dr. Schlesinger about Jim's past?
(a) That he has always dramatized things.
(b) That he has not had psychiatric problems.
(c) That he has had psychiatric problems.
(d) That he never really worked on Broadway.
14. What has Jim been depressed over?
(a) His inability to find the lead for his next play.
(b) His inability to work well with the other actors.
(c) His inability to write his next play.
(d) His inability to recapture his professional success.
15. Why does Jim feel that he is being detained in the fifth scene of the play?
(a) For very little reason.
(b) For too many reasons.
(c) For no reason.
(d) For paranoid reasons.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the weather like in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. What floor of the hospital does the first scene of Act 2 take place on?
3. What does Dr. Barrow suggest that Ann does when Jim becomes semi-conscious?
4. How long has Ann been at Jim's bedside?
5. What does Mr. Fleming tell Jim about the convalescent ward?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)