|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Jim feel that he is being detained in the fifth scene of the play?
(a) For very little reason.
(b) For too many reasons.
(c) For no reason.
(d) For paranoid reasons.
2. What does Jim realize about Ann as Act 1 ends?
(a) That she is crazier than he is.
(b) That she knows about Charlotte.
(c) That she knew about the plan to move him.
(d) That she fabricated the job interview.
3. What do Grosberg and Mr. Fleming inform Jim of, which surprises him?
(a) That he must follow the doctor's instructions or he will be placed in a straight jacket.
(b) That he is not really in a hospital.
(c) That he is restricted from talking to the other patients.
(d) That he is in the psychiatric building.
4. What does Dr. Barrow ask Ann about Jim's letter?
(a) Why she didn't bring the letter with her.
(b) If there are any explanations for Charlotte.
(c) If she has a copy of it.
(d) If there are any explanations for suicide.
5. What does Jim tell the doctor is affecting his work negatively?
(a) His age.
(b) His attitude.
(c) His height.
(d) His weight.
6. What does the doctor ask Jim when he first wakes up?
(a) His motives for separating with Ann.
(b) The reason for his professional setbacks.
(c) The reason for the type of pills he chose.
(d) His motives for suicide.
7. What time is it when Act 1, Scene 3 opens?
8. How long does Ann tell Jim his new location will be for?
(a) Only for two weeks.
(b) Only for one week.
(c) Only for a few days.
(d) Only for a few weeks.
9. What is Jim's state of mind when the doctors attempt to question him in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) He is surprisingly coherent.
(b) He is unconscious.
(c) He is too drowsy to respond.
(d) He is extremely alert.
10. What does Ann accept from Miss Cardell while she waits with Jim in the second scene of Act 1?
(d) A cigarette.
11. How long has Ann been at Jim's bedside?
(a) On and off since the day before.
(b) Since he was brought into the hospital.
(c) For one hour.
(d) For three hours.
12. What does Ann insist to Dr. Barrow at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) That she loves Jim.
(b) That Jim really does like life.
(c) That she really does want to divorce him.
(d) That she wants the best specialists to examine Jim.
13. What does Ann admit to Dr. Schlesinger about Jim's past?
(a) That he never really worked on Broadway.
(b) That he has always dramatized things.
(c) That he has not had psychiatric problems.
(d) That he has had psychiatric problems.
14. In the beginning of the play, what is critical to Jim's condition?
(a) The previous 24 hours.
(b) The next 48 hours.
(c) The next week.
(d) The next 72 hours.
15. What is the state of some of the other patients Jim encounters in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) They are confused.
(b) They are depressed.
(c) They are hostile.
(d) They are happy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What day is it in Act 1, Scene 3?
2. What job does Jim currently hold?
3. How does Jim respond to the new job interview?
4. What is likely to happen if a patient gets sent to "seven"?
5. What did the letter that Jim wrote indicate?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)