|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Barrow suggest that Ann does when Jim becomes semi-conscious?
(a) Lecture him.
(b) Question him.
(c) Call the nurse immediately.
(d) Call the doctor immediately.
2. What does Ann admit to Dr. Schlesinger about Jim's past?
(a) That he has not had psychiatric problems.
(b) That he never really worked on Broadway.
(c) That he has always dramatized things.
(d) That he has had psychiatric problems.
3. What does Mr. Fleming give to Grosberg?
(c) A bottle.
(d) A pencil.
4. How many days have passed since the previous scene as the third scene in Act 1 begins?
5. What job does Jim currently hold?
(a) A manual labor job.
(b) An office job.
(c) He is unemployed.
(d) A teaching job.
6. Who does Ann originally share her concerns with about Jim's ability to leave the hospital?
(a) Dr. Barrow and Miss Hansen.
(b) Dr. Barrow and Grosberg.
(c) Dr. Kramer and Dr. Barrow.
(d) Dr. Schlesinger and Dr. Barrow.
7. What reason does Jim give Dr. Bellman for his suicide attempt?
(a) His lack of friends.
(b) His insurance policy.
(c) His job.
(d) His obsession with pills.
8. Who is Dr. Bellman?
(a) A professor.
(b) A psychologist.
(c) A sociologist.
(d) A psychiatrist.
9. What is Dr. Schlesinger's decision at the end of Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Jim will need to stay in the hospital for at least another month.
(b) Jim can only leave the hospital if he agrees to go home with Ann.
(c) Jim is not well enough to leave the hospital.
(d) Jim is well enough to leave the hospital, but not go to his interview.
10. How long has Ann been at Jim's bedside?
(a) For one hour.
(b) Since he was brought into the hospital.
(c) For three hours.
(d) On and off since the day before.
11. In what way does Jim eventually respond to Dr. Bellman's first request?
(a) He complies.
(b) He requests to talk to a supervisor.
(c) He refuses to comply.
(d) He berates the doctor.
12. What is the fear that the other patients have of "seven"?
(a) Being unintentionally transferred there.
(b) Being kept from there.
(c) Being left alone there.
(d) Being sent there.
13. How does Jim describe suicide to Dr. Bellman?
(a) He thinks it is not a selfish act.
(b) He thinks it is not a desperate act.
(c) He thinks it is a desperate act.
(d) He thinks it is a selfish act.
14. What does Jim learn about the monitoring system from the other patients in Act 2?
(a) Only their words are being listened to.
(b) Everything they say and do is being observed.
(c) The doctors choose which patients to monitor.
(d) Only their actions are being observed.
15. When the doctor questions him in Act 1, Scene 2, what does Jim say about his life?
(a) It is a mess.
(b) It is a wreck.
(c) It is horrible.
(d) It is over.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Ann tell Jim his interview for the theater job is?
2. What does the nurse try to get away from Mr. Fleming?
3. What does Jim think is a waste of time?
4. What reason does Ann give for why Jim might not be ready to leave for his job interview?
5. What does Ann accept from Miss Cardell while she waits with Jim in the second scene of Act 1?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)