|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the letter that Jim wrote indicate?
(a) His intent to divorce Ann.
(b) His intent to leave town.
(c) His intent to take his own life.
(d) His intent to get help for his problems.
2. How does Jim respond to Ann's statement at the end of Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) He is confused.
(b) He is horrified.
(c) He is ignoring it.
(d) He is not surprised.
3. What morning is it when Act 1, Scene 4 begins?
4. What happens in "seven", according to what the other patients tell Jim?
(a) Patients are questioned.
(b) Patients are sedated.
(c) Patients are given electrotherapy.
(d) Patients are strapped down and put in a straight jacket.
5. What is the state of some of the other patients Jim encounters in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) They are happy.
(b) They are confused.
(c) They are hostile.
(d) They are depressed.
6. When were Jim and Ann supposed to meet?
(a) On Sunday.
(b) On Saturday.
(c) On Monday.
(d) On Tuesday.
7. What reason does Ann give for why Jim might not be ready to leave for his job interview?
(a) There is no job interview.
(b) His eyes do not focus properly.
(c) He will not get the job.
(d) The interview is too far away.
8. What does Dr. Bellman ask Jim in the beginning of Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) To tell him about the letter.
(b) To tell him about his hospital stay.
(c) To recount his suicide attempt.
(d) To recount the days leading up to his suicide attempt.
9. What did Jim want to confirm before his suicide attempt?
(a) That his G.I. Bill was in good standing, so that Charlotte would get the benefits.
(b) That his apartment would be rented to another person.
(c) That his G.I. Bill was in good standing, so that Ann would get the benefits.
(d) That his apartment lease would be paid.
10. What does Mr. Fleming tell Jim about the convalescent ward?
(a) Patients do not leave there as quickly as they would like.
(b) Patients there do not want to leave.
(c) Patients leave there more quickly than they think.
(d) Patients never leave there.
11. What does Jim inform Ann of in the third scene of Act 1?
(a) That he will be returning home.
(b) That he needs a vacation.
(c) That he will not be returning home.
(d) That he would rather she not call for a while.
12. When the doctor questions him in Act 1, Scene 2, what does Jim say about his life?
(a) It is over.
(b) It is a mess.
(c) It is horrible.
(d) It is a wreck.
13. How does Jim feel that he has acted since entering the hospital, as he describes in Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) He has cooperated with some, not with others.
(b) He has cooperated with everyone except Ann.
(c) He has not cooperated with anyone.
(d) He has cooperated with everyone.
14. Among the various different patient types Jim meets in the beginning of Act 2, how do some of them seem to him?
15. Who called Ann earlier in the day?
(a) Jim's friend.
(b) Jim's brother.
(c) Jim's cousin.
(d) Jim's boss.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ann insist to Dr. Barrow at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
2. How old is Dr. Kramer?
3. What does Dr. Barrow suggest that Ann does when Jim becomes semi-conscious?
4. How long does Ann tell Jim his new location will be for?
5. How did Jim get the pills to take?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)