|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are many of the nurses away for the week?
(a) They are on strike.
(b) There is a flu epidemic.
(c) It is Thanksgiving.
(d) The hospital is cutting back on its staff.
2. What does Mr. Fleming give to Grosberg?
(c) A bottle.
(d) A pencil.
3. What does the doctor ask Jim when he first wakes up?
(a) The reason for his professional setbacks.
(b) His motives for suicide.
(c) His motives for separating with Ann.
(d) The reason for the type of pills he chose.
4. What does Grosberg tell Jim that some other patients do not need in order to be released?
(a) To be fully functional.
(b) To spend time in the convalescent ward.
(c) Their wife's permission.
(d) Their doctor's consent.
5. What time is it at the start of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) 2:00 in the afternoon.
(b) 2:00 in the morning.
(c) 12:00 noon.
(d) 12:00 midnight.
6. Where does Act 2 open?
(a) The psychiatric ward.
(b) The convalescent ward.
(c) The doctor's office.
(d) The recreation room.
7. When were Jim and Ann supposed to meet?
(a) On Sunday.
(b) On Monday.
(c) On Tuesday.
(d) On Saturday.
8. How does Jim initially respond to Dr. Bellman's request?
(a) He is nervous.
(b) He is rude.
(c) He is annoyed.
(d) He is silent.
9. Why does Jim feel that he is being detained in the fifth scene of the play?
(a) For paranoid reasons.
(b) For very little reason.
(c) For no reason.
(d) For too many reasons.
10. What is likely to happen if a patient gets sent to "seven"?
(a) They will be transferred back to the psychiatric ward.
(b) They will be kept there indefinitely.
(c) They will never leave.
(d) They will be transferred to the state hospital.
11. What do Grosberg and Mr. Fleming inform Jim of, which surprises him?
(a) That he must follow the doctor's instructions or he will be placed in a straight jacket.
(b) That he is restricted from talking to the other patients.
(c) That he is in the psychiatric building.
(d) That he is not really in a hospital.
12. What does Jim ask Grosberg to do for him?
(a) Mail a letter.
(b) Take his cigarettes away.
(c) Get a cigarette.
(d) Write a letter.
13. Who is Dr. Barrow?
(a) A pathologist.
(b) A sociologist.
(c) A psychologist.
(d) A psychiatrist.
14. What morning is it when Act 1, Scene 4 begins?
15. Who is George O'Brien?
(a) Jim's attendant.
(b) A professor.
(c) A doctor.
(d) Another patient.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Jim give Dr. Bellman for his suicide attempt?
2. How long does Ann tell Jim his new location will be for?
3. How does Dr. Barrow respond to Ann's outlook on life as the second scene of the play ends?
4. What day is it in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. What does Dr. Barrow suggest that Ann does when Jim becomes semi-conscious?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)