|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Dr. Schlesinger's decision at the end of Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) Jim will need to stay in the hospital for at least another month.
(b) Jim is not well enough to leave the hospital.
(c) Jim can only leave the hospital if he agrees to go home with Ann.
(d) Jim is well enough to leave the hospital, but not go to his interview.
2. What is Ann's hope if Jim stays in the hospital and recovers slowly?
(a) That he will sign the divorce papers.
(b) That he will forget about Charlotte.
(c) That he will want to heal their marriage.
(d) That he will finally tell her who Charlotte is.
3. How does Dr. Barrow respond to Ann's outlook on life as the second scene of the play ends?
(a) He thinks it is a mistake.
(b) He thinks it is a positive sign.
(c) He thinks it is a negative sign.
(d) He thinks it is the reason for Jim's suicide attempt.
4. How many days have passed since the previous scene as the third scene in Act 1 begins?
5. How old is Dr. Kramer?
(a) About 25.
(b) About 40.
(c) About 30.
(d) About 35.
6. How does Ann respond to the doctor's request that Jim be given his Last Rites?
(a) She refuses to believe it.
(b) She becomes hysterical.
(c) She becomes angry at the doctor.
(d) She is silent.
7. What is the weather like in Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) It is sunny.
(b) It is snowing.
(c) It is raining.
(d) It is cloudy.
8. What does the doctor ask Jim when he first wakes up?
(a) The reason for his professional setbacks.
(b) The reason for the type of pills he chose.
(c) His motives for suicide.
(d) His motives for separating with Ann.
9. What did the letter that Jim wrote indicate?
(a) His intent to leave town.
(b) His intent to divorce Ann.
(c) His intent to take his own life.
(d) His intent to get help for his problems.
10. Who is Dr. Bellman?
(a) A sociologist.
(b) A psychologist.
(c) A professor.
(d) A psychiatrist.
11. What does the nurse suggest to Ann in the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) That she goes home to get the money for the visit.
(b) That she starts remembering what happened to Jim.
(c) That she starts thinking of which relatives to call.
(d) That she goes home to rest.
12. How many pills does Jim admit to taking?
13. Why are many of the nurses away for the week?
(a) There is a flu epidemic.
(b) They are on strike.
(c) The hospital is cutting back on its staff.
(d) It is Thanksgiving.
14. What does Jim reveal to the doctor about Ann in Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) She is crazy.
(b) She is cunning and manipulative.
(c) She is forgetful.
(d) She is kind and loyal.
15. When was Jim's last play?
(a) Several months ago.
(b) Several years ago.
(c) A few weeks ago.
(d) A year ago.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dr. Bellman unable to give Jim as Act 2, Scene 2 ends?
2. How does Jim describe suicide to Dr. Bellman?
3. What does Jim tell the doctor about Charlotte in the fourth scene of Act 1?
4. How did Jim get the pills to take?
5. How long does Ann tell Jim his new location will be for?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)