|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Moonlight Graham's first name?
2. What happens in Moonlight Graham's first at bat on Ray's field?
3. Why does Ray ask if JD Salinger eats soybeans?
4. What does Ray do for a second time as he and JD start their road trip?
5. What card game are Salinger, Scisssons and Graham playing when the players return?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Symbolism is a literary device used to give meaning to an object beyond the obvious. Write an essay that analyzes a symbol used in Shoeless Joe. Include a description of the symbol and how it is used in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
In an essay, write a literary critique of The Shoeless Joe. Include the following:
• What is the author's purpose in writing the story?
• What is the author's underlying belief about the topic?
• Do you agree with the author's conclusions?
• Does the writing follow a conventional plot diagram?
• Is the conflict made clear?
• Do you agree with the author's resolution of the conflict?
• Is there enough evidence throughout the novel to support the events that take place?
Essay Topic 3
Kinsella uses the literary technique of flashbacks to help fill in details about Ray's life. These flashbacks are interspersed with current activity, which form the combination of foreshadowing future events. In an essay, analyze the use of flashbacks to foreshadow future events. Use examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)