|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ray expect to find in the Iowa City library after Eddie's funeral?
2. After seeing the baseball game for the first time, what does Salinger offer Ray?
3. JD Salinger begins to tell strangers his identity. What is their general reaction?
4. For Doc Graham, what would have been a real tragedy?
5. How does Ray determine what year it is as he is talking with Doc Graham?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using what you have learned about characterization, write a character analysis of one of the main characters. Include the following: a description, actions, relationship to other characters, motives, strengths and weaknesses.
Essay Topic 2
Symbolism is a literary device used to give meaning to an object beyond the obvious. Write an essay that analyzes a symbol used in Shoeless Joe. Include a description of the symbol and how it is used in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
In Shoeless Joe, baseball is a metaphor for religion. How does W.P. Kinsella critique traditional organized religion using baseball as a metaphor?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)