|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the voice first tell Ray in the beginning of the novel?
(a) "Ease his pain."
(b) "Go the distance."
(c) "If you build it, he will come."
(d) "Build a baseball field."
2. What does Shoeless Joe watch for during a game?
(a) The batter's feet.
(b) The angle of the batter's bat.
(c) The pitcher's arm.
(d) The sign from the catcher.
3. What happens as Ray leaves his seat at the game in "They Tore Down the Polo Grounds in 1964"?
(a) Ray is distracted and walks into a steel girder.
(b) Ray knocks over a concession worker.
(c) Someone sitting next to him spills their drink on Ray's lap.
(d) JD Salinger asks to leave the game early.
4. What does Mark do for a living?
(a) Corn Farmer.
(b) Life insurance salesman.
(d) College professor.
5. As Ray and Salinger travel towards Boston, why does a policeman pull Ray over?
(a) Ray was swerving between lanes because he was so nervous.
(b) Salinger had put Ray's hazard lights on to alert the police.
(c) Near a blasting zone, a policeman notices that Ray has a broken tail light.
(d) Ray was speeding to make it to the game on time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound startles Ray as he watches the first game on the field?
2. As he approaches New Hampshire, Ray has a flashback to a lecture he once heard about JD Salinger. Who is giving the lecture?
3. Why does Ray stop in Chicago on his road trip to New Hampshire?
4. What position did Ray's father play in the minor leagues?
5. What season is it when Ray finishes building the full field?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the Twins game, what does Salinger hear that Ray does not? How does this make Ray feel?
2. Why doesn't anyone appear after Ray finishes the area around home plate?
3. Describe the instructions Ray received at the beginning of the book.
4. As Ray and Salinger leave Chisholm, who do they pick up?
5. What does Eddie tell Ray to do about his father?
6. What do you think will happen to the baseball field after the last game in The Rapture of J.D. Salinger,?
7. What is Ray's response when he hears Shoeless Joe ask Salinger if he would like to go out with the players after the game?
8. In The Rapture of J.D. Salinger, describe what Salinger reveals to Ray to calm his anger.
9. Describe what happens after the end of the game in The Rapture of J.D. Salinger.
10. At the beginning of the novel, would you describe Ray's farming as a commercial success? Why or why not?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)