|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ray describe the crowd at Fenway?
(a) As crazed mob.
(b) As a congregation.
(c) As a wave of green and white.
(d) As a flock of seagulls.
2. What does the voice first tell Ray in the beginning of the novel?
(a) "Build a baseball field."
(b) "Ease his pain."
(c) "Go the distance."
(d) "If you build it, he will come."
3. What happens as Ray leaves his seat at the game in "They Tore Down the Polo Grounds in 1964"?
(a) Ray is distracted and walks into a steel girder.
(b) JD Salinger asks to leave the game early.
(c) Ray knocks over a concession worker.
(d) Someone sitting next to him spills their drink on Ray's lap.
4. What happens while Ray is having dinner at a Greek diner?
(a) Ray gets a phone call from Annie.
(b) A kitchen fire erupts forcing the restaurant to evacuate.
(c) He hears another message from the voice.
(d) There is a hold-up in the restaurant.
5. What compliment does Shoeless Joe give Ray about the field?
(a) This is the softest grass my feet have ever felt.
(b) This is the greenest grass I have ever seen.
(c) This grass is just like it is in Comiskey Park.
(d) The ball bounces true.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ray try to avoid at the end of "Shoeless Joe Jackson Comes To Iowa"?
2. In what state is Shoeless Joe seen playing in a "tenth rate commercial league"?
3. After returning from the war, which team does Ray's father quickly learn to love?
4. Where around the field does Ray sit to watch Shoeless Joe play for the first time?
5. What is the voice's second message?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Annie's appearance.
2. What does Ray thinks happens to the ball players when they walk through the door in the outfield fence after the last game?
3. Describing his father for the first time, it is clear that Ray and his father share a love of baseball. What did Ray's father do that might have had an effect on Ray being a baseball fan?
4. At the beginning of the novel, would you describe Ray's farming as a commercial success? Why or why not?
5. In The Rapture of J.D. Salinger, Salinger says he wants to "touch the perfect dream." Describe what the "perfect dream" might be for Salinger.
6. When coming back into Iowa, why does Ray want to pick up Eddie Scissons?
7. What does Annie's family think of Ray?
8. Describe Moonlight Graham's experience of playing baseball in the Major Leagues.
9. Will completing Shoeless Joe's request be easy for Ray? Why or why not?
10. What false tale does Eddie tell Ray?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)