|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name does Ray call Annie when he continuously looks out his window to see if new players have arrived?
(b) Alice in Wonderland.
(d) Little Miss Muffet.
2. Where does Ray's father settle after returning from World War I?
(a) New York.
(b) South Carolina.
3. What does Ray feel is ironic about Fenway Park?
(a) There are no seats above left field, where his field only has seats above left field.
(b) The color of the Green Monster is the same color paint he used on his left field wall.
(c) The dimensions of the field are exactly opposite.
(d) The left fielder for the visiting team is named Jackson.
4. Ray brings up a dream that JD Salinger once described, what was it?
(a) Salinger dreamed about playing baseball with Shoeless Joe.
(b) Salinger dreamed about playing baseball in Fenway Park.
(c) Salinger dreamed about playing at the Polo Grounds.
(d) Salinger dreamed about playing baseball with Mickey Mantle.
5. Who first notices Shoeless Joe when he appears on the field?
(d) Ray's dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens as Ray leaves his seat at the game in "They Tore Down the Polo Grounds in 1964"?
2. As "They Tore Down the Polo Grounds in 1964" ends, where are Ray and Salinger about to travel?
3. As Shoeless Joe talks about playing in the major leagues, Ray remembers falling in love with the land of Iowa. What is his memory of?
4. In the first game, why can't Ray see other players' faces?
5. Ray has another flash back to a confrontation with Mark. How does Mark tease Ray about his finances?
Short Essay Questions
1. Would Moonlight Graham rather be a doctor or a baseball player?
2. How does Ray's father describe Shoeless Joe's playing at the beginning of the novel?
3. Overall, Shoeless Joe is a novel about baseball. However, it is more than baseball. What is baseball a metaphor for?
4. At the ballgame, J.D. Salinger asks Ray how he knew the voice was describing him when the voice said "Ease his pain"; how did Ray respond?
5. At the beginning of the novel, would you describe Ray's farming as a commercial success? Why or why not?
6. What does Annie's family think of Ray?
7. What does Ray thinks happens to the ball players when they walk through the door in the outfield fence after the last game?
8. What happens when Ray and Richard approach their father?
9. What happens when Karin chokes on a hot dog bun?
10. Why do Ray and J.D. Salinger drive to Chisholm, Minnesota?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)