|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As he approaches New Hampshire, Ray has a flashback to a lecture he once heard about JD Salinger. Who is giving the lecture?
(a) His brother in law, Mark.
(b) A professor of his from Iowa State.
(c) His father, John.
(d) An un-named teacher.
2. How did Shoeless Joe get his nickname?
(a) We are never told, the name just stuck.
(b) He ran so fast around the bases that sometimes his shoes would fall off.
(c) His spikes hurt him so mid-way through the game. he'd take them off and play in his socks.
(d) He was too poor to buy new shoes so he simply played in his socks.
3. After returning from the war, which team does Ray's father quickly learn to love?
(a) Chicago Cubs.
(b) Chicago White Sox.
(c) New York Giants.
(d) New York Yankees.
4. In what state is Shoeless Joe seen playing in a "tenth rate commercial league"?
(b) New York.
(c) South Carolina.
5. Ray describes what article of clothing as being "painted on" Annie's skin?
(a) Blue jeans.
(b) A small cross.
(c) An Iowa State sweatshirt.
(d) Tennis shoes.
6. Who joins Ray to watch the first game?
(b) Ray's dog.
(d) No one.
7. What does JD Salinger describe writers as?
8. According to Ray, which position player can teach you everything you need to know about a game?
(a) The pitcher.
(b) The first basemen.
(c) The left fielder.
(d) The catcher.
9. How does a famous baseball writer describe Shoeless Joe Jackson and a piece of his equipment?
(a) His glove is the place where triples go to die.
(b) He runs too fast for his shoes to stay on.
(c) His eyes never met a pitch he couldn't hit.
(d) His bat cracks like Zues' lightning.
10. At the end if of the first game, Shoeless Joe mentions "the others." Who is he referring to?
(a) Other players from Iowa.
(b) Other Hall of Fame players.
(c) Other All-Star players.
(d) Other players banned from baseball.
11. Before leaving on his trip, who helps Ray tend to the field in the spring?
(a) Shoeless Joe.
(b) His neighbor, South Paw.
(c) A retired farmer named Chesty.
(d) His brother in law, Mark.
12. Why does Ray stop in Chicago on his road trip to New Hampshire?
(a) To visit the world's tallest building, Sears Tower.
(b) To visit the Baseball Hall of Fame.
(c) To watch a baseball game at Comiskey Park.
(d) He only stops to get gas and something to eat.
13. The first time Shoeless Joe arrives on the field, who is the first one to greet him?
(a) No one; he disappears before anyone approaches.
(b) Annie and Ray.
(d) Ray, Annie, and Karin.
14. Where does Ray believe J.D. Salinger lives?
(b) Iowa City.
(c) New York.
(d) New Hampshire.
15. Why does Ray stop in Boston before driving to New Hampshire?
(a) To visit the "Oldest living Cub" Eddie Scissons.
(b) To make sure he has baseball tickets in hand when he asks JD Salinger to the game.
(c) To attend a baseball game-he wants to visit Fenway alone.
(d) Boston is simply along his travel route.
Short Answer Questions
1. What compliment does Shoeless Joe give Ray about the field?
2. In "They Tore Down the Polo Grounds in 1964", we learn about a member of Ray's family. Who is this person?
3. What happens after the seventh inning stretch in "They Tore Down the Polo Grounds in 1964"?
4. Who does Ray suggest could play with Shoeless Joe and the others?
5. How many times does Ray hear the voice's first instructions?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)