|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end if of the first game, Shoeless Joe mentions "the others." Who is he referring to?
(a) Other Hall of Fame players.
(b) Other players from Iowa.
(c) Other players banned from baseball.
(d) Other All-Star players.
2. Where does Ray believe J.D. Salinger lives?
(a) Iowa City.
(b) New Hampshire.
(d) New York.
3. Ray has another flash back to a confrontation with Mark. How does Mark tease Ray about his finances?
(a) He says that Ray could afford his farm if he was a better farmer.
(b) He jokes that a baseball knows more about farming than Ray does.
(c) He jokes that Ray will find diamonds in his field.
(d) He teases Mark about his inability to play softball despite having his own baseball field.
4. When Chick Gandil first appears, how is he described?
(a) Like a teacher pacing back and forth.
(b) Like an angel floating around the base.
(c) Like a solider guarding a fort.
(d) Like a bull pawing the ground.
5. What could JD Salinger write an article about that would make its members weep with pride?
(a) A church they drove past on their drive.
(b) A yacht club.
(c) A restaurant across the street from the ball park.
(d) A country club located near Fenway Park.
6. Where is Ray's gun when he convinces Salinger to join him?
(a) He forgot the gun in Iowa.
(b) In the car's glove box.
(c) In the trunk of his car.
(d) In his coat pocket aimed at Salinger.
7. As Ray and Salinger travel towards Boston, why does a policeman pull Ray over?
(a) Salinger had put Ray's hazard lights on to alert the police.
(b) Ray was speeding to make it to the game on time.
(c) Near a blasting zone, a policeman notices that Ray has a broken tail light.
(d) Ray was swerving between lanes because he was so nervous.
8. What does Shoeless Joe watch for during a game?
(a) The pitcher's arm.
(b) The batter's feet.
(c) The angle of the batter's bat.
(d) The sign from the catcher.
9. What does the voice first tell Ray in the beginning of the novel?
(a) "Ease his pain."
(b) "Build a baseball field."
(c) "If you build it, he will come."
(d) "Go the distance."
10. What does Ray try to avoid at the end of "Shoeless Joe Jackson Comes To Iowa"?
(a) Talking to his wife about the experience.
(b) Breaking Shoeless Joe's concentration.
(c) Stepping onto the field.
(d) Eye contact with Shoeless Joe.
11. In his second vision, what professional baseball park is Ray seated in?
(a) Comiskey Park in Chicago.
(b) Fenway Park in Boston.
(c) Yankee Stadium in New York.
(d) The Polo Grounds in New York.
12. Who is Mark?
(a) Annie's father.
(b) Ray's brother.
(c) Ray's cousin.
(d) Annie's brother.
13. Before he became a farmer, what did Ray do for a living?
(a) Seed salesman.
(b) Life insurance salesman.
(c) Door to door salesman.
(d) Groundskeeper at the college baseball field.
14. As the first game comes to an end, what does Shoeless Joe ask Ray?
(a) "Where is the rest of the field?"
(b) "Is this heaven?"
(c) "Can I come back again?"
(d) "Where did your father play baseball?"
15. Who first notices Shoeless Joe when he appears on the field?
(b) Ray's dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ray buy in Des Moines?
2. What sound startles Ray as he watches the first game on the field?
3. Ray describes falling in love with Iowa as a religious experience, but why can't he talk about it?
4. What does Salinger ask Ray multiple times before he agrees to join him at the baseball game?
5. After returning from the war, which team does Ray's father quickly learn to love?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)