|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sound startles Ray as he watches the first game on the field?
(a) The ball ricocheting against the outfield wall.
(b) A scream of a wild animal.
(c) A screen door slamming shut.
(d) The crack of a bat as he was busy watching Shoeless Joe.
2. In what state is Shoeless Joe seen playing in a "tenth rate commercial league"?
(b) South Carolina.
(d) New York.
3. Where does Ray go to learn more about taking care of a baseball field?
(c) New York.
(d) Iowa City.
4. Where does Ray believe J.D. Salinger lives?
(a) New Hampshire.
(c) Iowa City.
(d) New York.
5. In "They Tore Down the Polo Grounds in 1964", we learn about a member of Ray's family. Who is this person?
(a) A cousin also named Ray.
(b) An older brother named Matthew.
(c) A twin brother named Richard.
(d) A sister named Abigail.
6. Before he became a farmer, what did Ray do for a living?
(a) Groundskeeper at the college baseball field.
(b) Life insurance salesman.
(c) Seed salesman.
(d) Door to door salesman.
7. How many times does Ray hear the voice's first instructions?
(a) Five times.
(c) Three times.
8. What name does JD Salinger ask Ray to call him?
9. After returning from the war, which team does Ray's father quickly learn to love?
(a) Chicago Cubs.
(b) New York Giants.
(c) New York Yankees.
(d) Chicago White Sox.
10. What does JD Salinger describe writers as?
11. What happens while Ray is having dinner at a Greek diner?
(a) A kitchen fire erupts forcing the restaurant to evacuate.
(b) He hears another message from the voice.
(c) Ray gets a phone call from Annie.
(d) There is a hold-up in the restaurant.
12. There is something different between Ray's field and others he played on during his life. What is it?
(a) The outfield fence is much higher.
(b) The type of bats.
(c) The field has lights.
(d) The shape of the outfield is different.
13. What happens as Ray leaves his seat at the game in "They Tore Down the Polo Grounds in 1964"?
(a) Ray knocks over a concession worker.
(b) Ray is distracted and walks into a steel girder.
(c) Someone sitting next to him spills their drink on Ray's lap.
(d) JD Salinger asks to leave the game early.
14. What does Ray say is his astrological sign?
(a) Hit and run.
15. How does Ray describe the crowd at Fenway?
(a) As a flock of seagulls.
(b) As a congregation.
(c) As a wave of green and white.
(d) As crazed mob.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ray describes falling in love with Iowa as a religious experience, but why can't he talk about it?
2. Where does Ray's father settle after returning from World War I?
3. How did Shoeless Joe get his nickname?
4. What does Salinger ask Ray multiple times before he agrees to join him at the baseball game?
5. In the first game, why can't Ray see other players' faces?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)