|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Ray's gun when he convinces Salinger to join him?
(a) In his coat pocket aimed at Salinger.
(b) He forgot the gun in Iowa.
(c) In the car's glove box.
(d) In the trunk of his car.
2. Who joins Ray to watch the first game?
(c) Ray's dog.
(d) No one.
3. What happens while Ray is having dinner at a Greek diner?
(a) A kitchen fire erupts forcing the restaurant to evacuate.
(b) Ray gets a phone call from Annie.
(c) He hears another message from the voice.
(d) There is a hold-up in the restaurant.
4. What does JD Salinger describe writers as?
5. What is the second section of the field that Ray completes?
(a) Home plate.
(b) Center field.
(c) The pitcher's mound.
(d) The Dugout.
6. Ray has another flash back to a confrontation with Mark. How does Mark tease Ray about his finances?
(a) He jokes that a baseball knows more about farming than Ray does.
(b) He teases Mark about his inability to play softball despite having his own baseball field.
(c) He jokes that Ray will find diamonds in his field.
(d) He says that Ray could afford his farm if he was a better farmer.
7. What baseball field did J.D. Salinger dream about playing on as a child?
(a) Comiskey Park.
(b) Yankee Stadium.
(c) The Polo Grounds.
(d) Ebbets Field.
8. Before he became a farmer, what did Ray do for a living?
(a) Groundskeeper at the college baseball field.
(b) Life insurance salesman.
(c) Door to door salesman.
(d) Seed salesman.
9. How does a famous baseball writer describe Shoeless Joe Jackson and a piece of his equipment?
(a) His bat cracks like Zues' lightning.
(b) His eyes never met a pitch he couldn't hit.
(c) He runs too fast for his shoes to stay on.
(d) His glove is the place where triples go to die.
10. What is the voice's second message?
(a) "Find the book."
(b) "Go the distance."
(c) "Finish the field."
(d) "Ease his pain."
11. When Shoeless Joe first talks with Ray, how does he describe being banned from baseball?
(a) Like being in war.
(b) Like having a part of him amputated.
(c) Like losing a child.
(d) Like dying.
12. Which famous baseball player picked Shoeless Joe as the greatest left fielder of all time?
(a) Ty Cobb.
(b) Babe Ruth.
(c) Willie Mays.
(d) Mickey Mantle.
13. Who does Ray suggest could play with Shoeless Joe and the others?
(a) Babe Ruth.
(b) His father.
(c) Ty Cobb.
(d) Lou Gherig.
14. What season is it when Ray finishes building the full field?
15. What does Ray buy in Des Moines?
(a) A gun.
(c) An autographed baseball.
(d) Grass seed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the third message Ray hears from the voice?
2. What could JD Salinger write an article about that would make its members weep with pride?
3. Who first notices Shoeless Joe when he appears on the field?
4. What compliment does Shoeless Joe give Ray about the field?
5. According to Ray, which position player can teach you everything you need to know about a game?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)