|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who first notices Shoeless Joe when he appears on the field?
(a) Ray's dog.
2. What does Mark do for a living?
(b) Life insurance salesman.
(c) Corn Farmer.
(d) College professor.
3. What does Shoeless Joe watch for during a game?
(a) The pitcher's arm.
(b) The batter's feet.
(c) The angle of the batter's bat.
(d) The sign from the catcher.
4. What does the voice first tell Ray in the beginning of the novel?
(a) "If you build it, he will come."
(b) "Go the distance."
(c) "Ease his pain."
(d) "Build a baseball field."
5. Who is Mark?
(a) Ray's brother.
(b) Annie's father.
(c) Ray's cousin.
(d) Annie's brother.
6. When Chick Gandil first appears, how is he described?
(a) Like a teacher pacing back and forth.
(b) Like an angel floating around the base.
(c) Like a bull pawing the ground.
(d) Like a solider guarding a fort.
7. What does Ray buy in Des Moines?
(b) Grass seed.
(c) An autographed baseball.
(d) A gun.
8. How does a famous baseball writer describe Shoeless Joe Jackson and a piece of his equipment?
(a) His eyes never met a pitch he couldn't hit.
(b) His glove is the place where triples go to die.
(c) He runs too fast for his shoes to stay on.
(d) His bat cracks like Zues' lightning.
9. What happens as Ray leaves his seat at the game in "They Tore Down the Polo Grounds in 1964"?
(a) Ray is distracted and walks into a steel girder.
(b) JD Salinger asks to leave the game early.
(c) Someone sitting next to him spills their drink on Ray's lap.
(d) Ray knocks over a concession worker.
10. What name does Ray call Annie when he continuously looks out his window to see if new players have arrived?
(a) Little Miss Muffet.
(c) Alice in Wonderland.
11. What is the third message Ray hears from the voice?
(a) "Find him."
(b) "Return to Iowa."
(c) "Go the distance."
(d) "He is coming."
12. In the first game, why can't Ray see other players' faces?
(a) They are too far away.
(b) The field isn't completed.
(c) They don't have faces.
(d) They are turned the wrong way.
13. What compliment does Shoeless Joe give Ray about the field?
(a) This is the greenest grass I have ever seen.
(b) The ball bounces true.
(c) This is the softest grass my feet have ever felt.
(d) This grass is just like it is in Comiskey Park.
14. Who does Ray suggest could play with Shoeless Joe and the others?
(a) His father.
(b) Babe Ruth.
(c) Ty Cobb.
(d) Lou Gherig.
15. Ray believes the second message from the voice refers to J.D. Salinger. What is J.D. Salinger famous for?
(b) Baseball manager.
(c) Baseball player.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound startles Ray as he watches the first game on the field?
2. Where is Ray's gun when he convinces Salinger to join him?
3. Which baseball team does both Ray and his father loathe?
4. Where does Ray go to learn more about taking care of a baseball field?
5. After returning from the war, which team does Ray's father quickly learn to love?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)