Short Essay Answer Key
1. What is the setting for the novel?
Ship of Fools is Katherine Porter's novel of prejudice, hatred, and racial discrimination among the passengers of a ship bound from Mexico to Germany in August 1931.
2. What topics does the author explore?
The novel explores the personal dynamics among strangers confined in close quarters and the friendships and animosities, which are heightened.
3. How does the author begin the novel?
The novel begins in August 1931 in Veracruz, Mexico, where an assortment of people of different nationalities is waiting to board the German ship Vera bound for Bremerhaven, Germany.
4. How do the local people view the departing travelers?
The local people view the travelers with resentment and try to extract as much money from them as possible in this brief window of time before they depart.
5. What is the mood of the departing travelers?...
This section contains 4,291 words|
(approx. 15 pages at 300 words per page)