• The German ship, Vera, is bound from Mexico to Germany in August, 1931.
• Most of the passengers are glad to be leaving Mexico which is in a state of uprising.
• The ship's doctor, Dr. Schumann, watches as the passengers board.
• There are 14 German passengers, three Swiss passengers, ten Spanish dance passengers, a Cuban exile, eight Mexican passengers, a Swedish passenger and four American passengers.
• The passengers find their cabin assignments and realize that they are comfortable only during dinner when they can be with people of their own nationality.
• On the third day of the journey, the ship docks in Havana, Cuba, where 876 dirty Spanish people board the ship.
• The Spanish people are being shipped home to Spain because of the declining sugar market in Cuba where there is no longer enough work for them.
• In addition to the Spanish workers, six Cuban students board as first-class passengers...
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)