|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Sirian Empire do on Rohanda?
2. Taufiq is incarnated on Shikasta as a member of what race?
3. Generally speaking, what is the most important rule of Canopus?
4. What happens to the remainder of Shikasta's inhabitants?
5. What is Johor searching for, at the beginning of Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Shikasta described at the beginning of the novel?
2. What was the ceremony that Canopean emissaries brought to Ireland?
3. What happens to the Natives when Shikasta is cut off from the Lock?
4. How did individual eight's life end?
5. What is said about religion in Chapter 10?
6. What is the main Canopean ideology?
7. What does Johor report regarding Taufiq in Chapter 7?
8. How would John Brent-Oxford have defended individual two, and what would the result of the trial have been?
9. What is reported in Chapter 9 regarding the Natives, Dwarves and Elves?
10. What is the "Age of Ideology"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Shammat are a powerful force that goes against the Canopean government. Why are the Shammat so antagonistic? What do they want from Shikasta? What are their goals? Why do they end up being corrupted by the SOWF they drain from Shikasta? What do they do to the other planets they oversee? What are their relationships with other races like, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the book to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Rilla was a friend of Johor's, who incarnates with him on Shikasta to help him accomplish his mission. How does she know Johor? How does he convince her to incarnate with him? What is her role in Shikasta's future? How is she different from George? What is her relationship with him after they incarnate? Be sure to cite specific examples from the book to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Johor states that Shikasta's very nature makes it chaotic. Why is Shikasta such a chaotic place? What happens when it is cut off from the Lock? How is the connection with the Lock restored? What happens afterward? Why do Canopeans dislike going to Shikasta? Why is it so different from what they are used to? Be sure to cite specific examples from the book to support your thesis.
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)