|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The very nature of Shikasta results in what?
2. Who is tapping the energies of Rohanda, in Chapter 6?
3. Individual three's philosophy is close to what school of thought?
4. What did Canopus do for the Natives of Shikasta?
5. In Chapter 9, what do the Canopean emissaries report regarding the Natives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Johor's mission, when he incarnates on Shikasta in Chapter 6?
2. What happens to the Giants when Shikasta is cut off from the Lock?
3. What period of Shikastan history is covered by the reports in Chapter 9?
4. What is the Canopean view of the 20th century?
5. Who is Taufiq?
6. Who are the Giants?
7. What event in Chapter 9 parallels a story from the Old Testament?
8. What happens to the Natives when Shikasta is cut off from the Lock?
9. How is Shikasta described at the beginning of the novel?
10. What does Johor do when he finds Ben and Sais in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johor states that Shikasta's very nature makes it chaotic. Why is Shikasta such a chaotic place? What happens when it is cut off from the Lock? How is the connection with the Lock restored? What happens afterward? Why do Canopeans dislike going to Shikasta? Why is it so different from what they are used to? Be sure to cite specific examples from the book to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The description of the British in this novel is very negative. Why are they portrayed in such a derogatory fashion? What do they do wrong? How do they interact with citizens of other places? What can we infer about the author's attitude toward the British people, based on the manner in which they are described in the novel? Be sure to cite specific examples from the book to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The Giants are introduced to Shikasta by the Canopeans, who are attempting to hasten the evolution of the Natives. How do the Canopeans think that the Giants will help? What is the nature of the relationship that exists between the Natives and the Giants? Why? How do the Giants feel about being put on Shikasta? What happens to the Giants after Shikasta is cut off from the Lock? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the book to support your thesis.
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)