|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Taufiq was incarnated on Shikasta after what war?
2. The "Northwest Fringes" are analogous to what nonfictional place?
3. Why are the Giants on Shikasta?
4. What do some Canopeans believe should be done with Shikasta?
5. Who are the Shammat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the Giants?
2. What is Johor's mission, when he incarnates on Shikasta in Chapter 6?
3. What is reported in Chapter 9 regarding the Natives, Dwarves and Elves?
4. How are the British people described in Chapter 8?
5. Who is Taufiq?
6. What does Johor report regarding Taufiq in Chapter 7?
7. What is reported in Chapter 9 regarding the genetics of Shikasta's population?
8. What does Johor do when he finds Ben and Sais in Chapter 6?
9. How are the shells of Shikasta organized?
10. What period of Shikastan history is covered by the reports in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The mock trial is one of the most important events in the novel. Who stages the trial? Who is being prosecuted, and why? Who are the defense and prosecuting attorneys? What arguments are made at the trial? How does the trial end? What is the final result of the trial? Does it change anything in Shikastan society? If so, what? Be sure to cite specific examples from the book to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Johor's brother Taufiq is supposed to become a lawyer, but he is inexplicably drawn to politics instead. What are the effects of his decision? What happens to the special individuals that he is supposed to defend? What would have happened differently if he had gone into law instead of politics? How does his role in the mock trial relate to his "corruption" as a politician? Be sure to cite specific examples from the book to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The novel establishes an innovative concept of life after death. What happens to people when they die on Shikasta? Is this the same system that exists on other planets? Why or why not? How is Johor able to communicate with souls waiting to reincarnate? Why? How do the souls in Zone Six feel about their situation, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the book to support your thesis.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)