|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will eventually happen to the Shammat transmitter?
2. What was Taufiq's name when he incarnated on Shikasta?
3. Which shell concerns human history?
4. What other friend does Johor find in Chapter 12?
5. How do the lives of the Shikastans upon Johor's return compare with the last time he was there?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information is given in Chapter 6 about the Shammat transmitter on Shikasta?
2. What is said about religion in Chapter 10?
3. What happens to the Giants when Shikasta is cut off from the Lock?
4. How did individual eight's life end?
5. What is the "Age of Ideology"?
6. What period of Shikastan history is covered by the reports in Chapter 9?
7. What is reported in Chapter 9 regarding the genetics of Shikasta's population?
8. What were the consequences of John Brent-Oxford's decision to become a politician?
9. What is reported in Chapter 9 regarding the Natives, Dwarves and Elves?
10. Who is the individual known as "The Brand"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johor's brother Taufiq is supposed to become a lawyer, but he is inexplicably drawn to politics instead. What are the effects of his decision? What happens to the special individuals that he is supposed to defend? What would have happened differently if he had gone into law instead of politics? How does his role in the mock trial relate to his "corruption" as a politician? Be sure to cite specific examples from the book to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The Shammat are a powerful force that goes against the Canopean government. Why are the Shammat so antagonistic? What do they want from Shikasta? What are their goals? Why do they end up being corrupted by the SOWF they drain from Shikasta? What do they do to the other planets they oversee? What are their relationships with other races like, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the book to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Johor is the central character in the book. Who is he? What is his job? What is special about him? Why does he incarnate on Shikasta? What is he supposed to achieve while he is there? Does he achieve his goals? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the book to support your thesis.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)