|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rossendale resolve to do the next day?
(a) He makes no resolutions.
(b) Kill Sharpe.
(c) Humiliate Sharpe.
(d) Regain his honor.
2. What is Sharpe asked to do?
(a) Tell the Prince when to send in the reserves.
(b) Tell the Prince of Orange they do not need reserves.
(c) Take command of the 9nd Battalion.
(d) Tell Wellington they need reinforcements on the North ridge.
3. What is the Duke of Wellington's army doing?
(a) Driving West to cut off Napoleon's supply line.
(b) Driving East to cut off Napoleon's supply line.
(c) Retreating in an orderly fashion.
(d) Advancing to flank Napoleon's heavy cavalry.
4. Upon what does Rebecque give up?
(a) Getting Sharpe to wear a Dutch uniform.
(b) Getting Sharpe to be more tactful.
(c) Getting the Prince of Orange to lead from a safe place.
(d) Getting the Prince of Orange to stay in the rear lines.
5. Where is Wellington preparing for battle?
(a) On the north ridge.
(b) On a pair of hills to the south of Waterloo.
(c) In the center between the Prussians and Belgians.
(d) South of the Prince of Orange.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are many of the British redcoats doing as they wait?
2. How are Napoleon's men dressed?
3. Why does Sharpe go over to Rossendale?
4. What is happening at the opening of chapter 13?
5. Where does the Prince of Orange assign Sharpe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the most striking differences at the end of a battle and the disposition of the dead between that era and now?
2. What is the difference between the disposition of the Allied Forces and the French in Chapter 13? For what does this afford the author an opportunity?
3. What charge of heavy cavalry is described in Chapter 15 and what two roles do the horses have?
4. What is a major failure on the French part that leads to their ultimate defeat?
5. What gross error in judgment and orders did the Prince of Orange make in Chapter 15?
6. What does John Rossendale tell his fellow officers about the condition of his sword and pistol in Chapter 10?
7. What is it about the British muskets that proves the beginning of the French's downfall?
8. By the end of Chapter 10 what do each of the characters in the story face?
9. What does Sharpe tell Rossendale during their encounter in the woods?
10. What does the author's placement of Sharpe in Chapter 14 do as a narrative device?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)