|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Geisenau do?
(a) Deliberately delays the departure of the Prussian troops.
(b) Gives an incorrect order to von Bulow.
(c) Makes a false report to Duke Wellington.
(d) Leaves without giving any orders to von Bulow.
2. What suddenly appears?
(a) Dozens of cannons up on a ridge.
(b) The French army of infantry, cavalry, and cannons appear.
(c) A French brigade of long rifle sharpshooters.
(d) A brigade of French heavy horse.
3. What is the use for the cobbled road?
(a) There is no planned use for it.
(b) To be able to hear the advance of Napoleon's army.
(c) To move reinforcements out of sight.
(d) For a fast retreat if necessary.
4. Where do Sharpe and Harper go after the French skirmishers retreat?
(a) To the Duke's 92nd rifle brigade.
(b) To the west flank of the Prince of Orange's troops.
(c) To the ridge above the chateau.
(d) To Waterloo.
5. What does Sharpe do to Rossendale's sword?
(a) Breaks it in the fork of a tree.
(b) Stabs it upright into the ground.
(c) Stabs Rossendale's foot.
(d) Throws it into the heavy brush.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Emperor's signal to start the battle?
2. What does Sharpe ponder also?
3. What does Wellington order that his men keep?
4. Where do Sharpe and Harper travel with other officers and staff?
5. With what does the battle start?
Short Essay Questions
1. What stops the French from pursuing the retreating British army?
2. How do Sharpe and other British officers react to the sight of Napoleon and what might be the intent of Napoleon in that regard?
3. What charge of heavy cavalry is described in Chapter 15 and what two roles do the horses have?
4. What is the difference between the disposition of the Allied Forces and the French in Chapter 13? For what does this afford the author an opportunity?
5. What gross error in judgment and orders did the Prince of Orange make in Chapter 15?
6. Why, on the third day, are the French still confident of victory?
7. What does John Rossendale tell his fellow officers about the condition of his sword and pistol in Chapter 10?
8. What happens to the British Heavy Cavalry unit with which John Rossendale is riding?
9. What type of relationship does the contrast of the two opposing generals have to the two armies?
10. What does Sharpe tell Rossendale during their encounter in the woods?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)