|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hakeswill do to Sharpe's musket?
(a) Scratch the inside of the barrel to throw off the aim.
(b) Bend the trigger.
(c) Replace the flint with an ordinary stone.
(d) Cut the strap almost all the way through.
2. What is chained in the courtyard where McCandless is standing?
(a) Four elephants.
(b) Two British officers.
(c) Ten Indian slaves.
(d) Six large tigers.
3. What nationality is Mary?
(a) Half French, half English.
(c) Half English, half Indian.
4. How does Sharpe feel about Mary's suggestion?
(a) He is ambivalent about it.
(b) He thinks it is a good idea.
(c) He thinks she will end up getting killed.
(d) He does not think it would work.
5. What do the deserters notice about where they are taken?
(a) It is quite noisy.
(b) It is highly fortified.
(c) There are lots of civilians.
(d) It is almost deserted of soldiers.
6. Where does Sharpe find money on the officer he is searching?
(a) In his turban.
(b) An inside pocket in his jacket.
(c) In his boot.
(d) In his pants' pocket.
7. Where are the deserters locked?
(a) In the dungeon.
(b) They are not locked up since they are given parole.
(c) In the guard house.
(d) In the mayor's house.
8. What are the officers discussing in General Harris's tent as Chapter 4 opens?
(a) How to break McCandless out of the dungeon.
(b) How to divide their forces.
(c) Where to attack Tippoo next.
(d) What to do about Hakeswill.
9. Why does Hakeswill leave Sharpe?
(a) Sharpe denies any interest in Mary.
(b) Sharpe punches him.
(c) Sharpe gives him some money.
(d) Sharpe tells him he is going to kill him.
10. Who are Lawford and Sharpe suppose to contact in the city?
(a) Ravi Shekhar.
(b) Appah Rao.
11. What do the officers think of Sharpe's ability to lie?
(a) He is a passable liar.
(b) He has too much honor to lie well.
(c) His face turns red when he lies.
(d) He is a good liar.
12. Who would Sharpe ask permission to marry Mary if he wanted to do that?
(a) Captain Morris.
(b) Lieutenant Lawford.
(c) Sergeant Hakeswill.
(d) Colonel Wellesley.
13. What are Sharpe's orders when he returns to his unit?
(a) Not to fight with Hakeswill.
(b) Not to tell anyone about his mission.
(c) Not to go see Mary.
(d) Not to get drunk that night.
14. Who does Mcandless tell to escape?
(a) His sergeant, McMasters.
(b) Appah Rao.
(c) The Havildar.
(d) The Indian escort.
15. Why is Sharpe fighting in India?
(a) The British have just invaded India.
(b) The Indians have killed a British Duke.
(c) The British are trying to take Pakistan.
(d) To break resistance to British rule.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the Frenchman Gudin with Tippoo?
2. Why do McCandless and Sharpe pretend to be at odds?
3. Who carries out Sharpe's flogging?
4. Who is Colonel Gudin?
5. Where do the lancers take the "deserters"?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)