|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what is Hakeswill searching among the dead and dying troops?
(a) His brother.
(c) A new sword.
(d) Intelligence information.
2. What does Gudin prefer for executions?
(a) Beheading by axe.
(c) Firing squad.
(d) The guillotine.
3. Why does Hakeswill argue with Sharpe about Mary?
(a) He wants Sharpe out of the way so he can rape her.
(b) She wants to marry Hakeswill.
(c) He thinks Sharpe has romantic interests in her.
(d) Sharpe won't marry her.
4. What does Tippoo allow Sharpe and Lawford to do?
(a) Change into French uniforms.
(b) Torture McCandless.
(c) Go rest in the barracks.
(d) Serve under Gudin.
5. What does Sharpe have to prove to win his court-martial case?
(a) That Hakeswill shot at him.
(b) That Hakeswill hit him first.
(c) That Hakeswill was committing a capitol crime.
(d) That a captain and an ensign are lying.
6. How long did the battle just over in Chapter 1 last?
(a) Four hours.
(b) A few minutes.
(c) Half an hour.
(d) All day.
7. Of what is the tripod Sharpe is tied to made?
(a) Three cavalry lances.
(b) Three halberds.
(c) Three small tree trunks.
(d) He is tied to a flogging post.
8. Who are Lawford and Sharpe suppose to contact in the city?
(c) Appah Rao.
(d) Ravi Shekhar.
9. What does Wellesley say about Sharpe?
(a) His punishment should be carried out.
(b) He is the best man for the job.
(c) He is dishonest.
(d) He will never come back.
10. Where is Mary directed to go?
(a) To the kitchens to work.
(b) No one cares to direct her to anything.
(c) Work with Tippoo's officers in the house.
(d) Back to the British.
11. What do Sharpe and Lawford do to show they are deserters?
(a) Dye their pants black.
(b) Wear white scarfs.
(c) Change into civilian clothes.
(d) Turn their uniform jackets inside out.
12. What do the deserters notice about where they are taken?
(a) It is quite noisy.
(b) There are lots of civilians.
(c) It is highly fortified.
(d) It is almost deserted of soldiers.
13. What do the officers decide that Lawford will pose as?
(a) An ex-lieutenant who is now a private.
(b) A timid clerk.
(c) A racketeer.
(d) A wronged officer.
14. Why does McCandless shoot his horse?
(a) To use as a shield.
(b) The horse stepped in a hole and broke its leg.
(c) It was fatally wounded.
(d) So Tippoo couldn't add it to his cavalry.
15. How does Sharpe feel about Mary's suggestion?
(a) He thinks it is a good idea.
(b) He is ambivalent about it.
(c) He thinks she will end up getting killed.
(d) He does not think it would work.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who would Sharpe ask permission to marry Mary if he wanted to do that?
2. What is Sharpe contemplating at the beginning of Chapter 1?
3. What happens when Sharpe pulls the trigger on the musket?
4. What kind of weapon does McCandless use?
5. What does Green give Sharpe to help with the flogging.
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)