|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who argues that Sharpe is the best person for the job?
2. How many strokes did Sharpe get before the flogging was stopped?
(a) Two hundred and one.
(b) One hundred.
(d) Three hundred.
3. Who is watching Sharpe and Mary talk?
(a) Sergeant Green.
(c) Lieutenant Lawford.
(d) Captain Morris.
4. How long did the battle just over in Chapter 1 last?
(a) Four hours.
(b) Half an hour.
(c) All day.
(d) A few minutes.
5. What is Sharpe contemplating at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) How much money he can find.
(d) He's thinking about women.
6. Why is Hakeswill thinking about Mary Bickerstaff?
(a) She has offered him money to take her home.
(b) He is interested in her.
(c) She bandaged a wound of his.
(d) He wants Sharpe to marry her.
7. Why does Gudin suggest showing mercy to British prisoners is a good idea?
(a) So if the British win they won't charge Tippoo with war crimes.
(b) So the British will do the same to Indian prisoners.
(c) Because it makes Tippoo look like a good ruler.
(d) So that if Tippoo is killed he will face God easier.
8. To where is the British army moving?
9. What do the deserters notice about where they are taken?
(a) There are lots of civilians.
(b) It is almost deserted of soldiers.
(c) It is quite noisy.
(d) It is highly fortified.
10. What is the main reason the British win the battle against Tippoo in Chapter 1 so quickly?
(a) Tippoo's cavalry are mounted on very small horses.
(b) Tippoo doesn't use cavalry to reinforce his infantry.
(c) Tippoo's troops don't have muskets.
(d) The British out number him five to one.
11. Why does Hakeswill leave Sharpe?
(a) Sharpe gives him some money.
(b) Sharpe punches him.
(c) Sharpe denies any interest in Mary.
(d) Sharpe tells him he is going to kill him.
12. About what are Sharpe and Lawson questioned?
(a) How many British troops are assigned to each squad.
(b) If they will give their fealty.
(c) Why they would desert when they have the upper hand.
(d) The reason for their desertion.
13. Who does Mcandless tell to escape?
(a) Appah Rao.
(b) The Indian escort.
(c) His sergeant, McMasters.
(d) The Havildar.
14. What has Tippoo ordered to be placed between the inner and outer city walls?
(a) Thousands of infantry troops.
(c) A massive black powder mine.
(d) Captured British cannons.
15. What does Sharpe tell McCandless?
(a) That McCandless is lucky Sharpe is a poor shot.
(b) That he is wants revenge on Gudin.
(c) That Sharpe is going to make McCandless' life miserable.
(d) That Sharpe is there on orders from Harris.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hakeswill do with the man who has money taped to his chest?
2. What do McCandless and his Indian escort run into on his way back to the British army?
3. To what is Sharpe sentenced at his court-martial?
4. What does Green give Sharpe to help with the flogging.
5. Why does Hakeswill challenge Sharpe while they are marching?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)