|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times has Sharpe seen action?
(b) Three times.
(d) Five times.
2. Who is Colonel Gudin?
(a) A former British officer who is also a deserter.
(b) The officer who questions Sharpe and Lawford.
(c) A captured Irish officer.
(d) A captured British officer.
3. What does Harris think of Sharpe going with Lawford?
(a) He likes the idea.
(b) He thinks it is not feasible.
(c) He wants Green to go.
(d) He doesn't trust Sharpe.
4. Why is a doctor called for?
(a) To check the men for illness.
(b) To treat the men for lice.
(c) To chekc the men for hidden weapons.
(d) To treat Sharpe's wounds.
5. What does Green give Sharpe to help with the flogging.
(a) A lot of rum.
(b) Some laudanum.
(c) A bottle of whiskey.
(d) A leather strap to bite upon.
6. Why does McCandless shoot his horse?
(a) The horse stepped in a hole and broke its leg.
(b) So Tippoo couldn't add it to his cavalry.
(c) To use as a shield.
(d) It was fatally wounded.
7. Why is the Frenchman Gudin with Tippoo?
(a) He believes in India independence.
(b) He is Tippoo's brother-in-law.
(c) He is an advisor from the French.
(d) He has been taken captive.
8. Who is watching Sharpe and Mary talk?
(a) Captain Morris.
(c) Lieutenant Lawford.
(d) Sergeant Green.
9. How many strokes did Sharpe get before the flogging was stopped?
(a) Two hundred and one.
(b) One hundred.
(c) Three hundred.
10. Why does Hakeswill leave Sharpe?
(a) Sharpe denies any interest in Mary.
(b) Sharpe gives him some money.
(c) Sharpe punches him.
(d) Sharpe tells him he is going to kill him.
11. Who would Sharpe ask permission to marry Mary if he wanted to do that?
(a) Colonel Wellesley.
(b) Lieutenant Lawford.
(c) Sergeant Hakeswill.
(d) Captain Morris.
12. What do Sharpe and Mary talk about concerning the military?
(a) Whether he will take her back to England with the army.
(b) Where is unit is heading next.
(c) When his enlistment term is over.
(d) Him becoming a sergeant.
13. What does Sergeant Green tell Sharpe?
(a) He will appear the case.
(b) He will do the flogging himself and go easy.
(c) He will ensure Mary is safe.
(d) He will chose the smallest boys for the flogging.
14. What has Tippoo ordered to be placed between the inner and outer city walls?
(a) Thousands of infantry troops.
(b) A massive black powder mine.
(c) Captured British cannons.
15. What does Major General Baird order?
(a) That Sharpe is to get promoted to officer status if he is successful.
(b) That several men try to rescue Mary.
(c) That Sharpe is to be taken alive in the upcoming battle.
(d) That Lawford is to be shot in the upcoming battle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do McCandless and his Indian escort run into on his way back to the British army?
2. Why is Hakeswill thinking about Mary Bickerstaff?
3. To what unit is Sharpe assigned?
4. Why does Sharpe take control of the mission?
5. How many volleys do the British fire before charging Tippoo's troops?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)