|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Tippoo ordered to be placed between the inner and outer city walls?
(a) A massive black powder mine.
(b) Thousands of infantry troops.
(d) Captured British cannons.
2. Who is Colonel Gudin?
(a) A captured British officer.
(b) The officer who questions Sharpe and Lawford.
(c) A captured Irish officer.
(d) A former British officer who is also a deserter.
3. Why is a doctor called for?
(a) To chekc the men for hidden weapons.
(b) To check the men for illness.
(c) To treat the men for lice.
(d) To treat Sharpe's wounds.
4. Why is Hakeswill thinking about Mary Bickerstaff?
(a) He wants Sharpe to marry her.
(b) She bandaged a wound of his.
(c) He is interested in her.
(d) She has offered him money to take her home.
5. Why does Hakeswill challenge Sharpe while they are marching?
(a) For his musket being carried on the wrong shoulder.
(b) For talking in the ranks.
(c) For having blood on his bayonet.
(d) For marching out of step.
6. Why is the city to where the British are moving important?
(a) It is the capitol of Mysore.
(b) It is the largest population center in southern India.
(c) The king of India lives there.
(d) It is the center of most of the trade routes.
7. Why do McCandless and Sharpe pretend to be at odds?
(a) It is no pretense as they do hate each other.
(b) To convince Gudin that they hate each other.
(c) They do not pretend anything.
(d) So they can wrestle on the ground and pass information.
8. Why does McCandless shoot his horse?
(a) The horse stepped in a hole and broke its leg.
(b) It was fatally wounded.
(c) To use as a shield.
(d) So Tippoo couldn't add it to his cavalry.
9. What does Gudin suggest about McCandless to Tippoo?
(a) That McCandless is a spy.
(b) That McCandless is a deserter.
(c) That McCandless was foraging for food.
(d) That McCandless wants to join Tippoo.
10. To where is the British army moving?
11. How many strokes did Sharpe get before the flogging was stopped?
(a) One hundred.
(b) Two hundred and one.
(d) Three hundred.
12. What does Mary suggest Sharpe do?
(a) Formally request to marry her.
(b) Desert the army and run away with her.
(c) Get her pregnant so the army will let him marry her.
(d) Take her into his tent to live.
13. What does Harris think of Sharpe going with Lawford?
(a) He likes the idea.
(b) He thinks it is not feasible.
(c) He wants Green to go.
(d) He doesn't trust Sharpe.
14. What do the other officers think of Lawford's idea?
(a) They have small reservations.
(b) They like it immediately.
(c) They are critical of it.
(d) They laugh him out of the tent.
15. What does Tippoo use to execute two men?
(a) Four horses.
(b) His sword.
(c) His Jettis.
(d) His tigers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hakeswill do with the man who has money taped to his chest?
2. What does Gudin prefer for executions?
3. Why does Hakeswill argue with Sharpe about Mary?
4. What does Sharpe have to prove to win his court-martial case?
5. To what does Sharpe admit which adds to his credentials for the rescue job?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)