|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the dragoons cease firing upon the British?
2. What makes a recovery of the situation at San Miguel possible for Sharpe?
3. What does Sharpe think he needs to do?
4. Who is Hagman?
5. What does Sharpe find when he sneaks to a wall of the fort?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sharpe attempt to sabotage the fort?
2. Why is Sharpe upset as he sees the French approaching?
3. Describe how the tide changes for Sharpe and his men after the wine bottles have been broken on the bridge.
4. What does Sharpe order Harper, Cooper and Perkins to do?
5. Describe the battle for the bridge and explain why Sharpe retreats.
6. How does Pailleterie threaten his men and what is there response?
7. In what way are both Sharpe and Pailleterie furious at the other group?
8. What do Teresa's men do that helps the enemy?
9. Why is Sharpe uncertain about how to keep the bridge?
10. What does Pailleterie do while waiting for the French reinforcements?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Sharpe's Skirmish" is one book in a series of novels involving the character Richard Sharpe. Discuss the following.
1. What are two advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Illustrate your statements with details from the text.
2. What is a disadvantage of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Illustrate your statements with details from the text.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in this book.
2. Trace and analyze one major aspect of the setting and how it contributes to the story and characters.
Essay Topic 3
Most of the entire series of novels concerning Richard Sharpe takes place during the Napoleonic Wars; therefore understanding the political and social situation during that time helps to a greater understanding and appreciation of this book and others in the series. Discuss one of the following:
1. Research and write an expository essay about how the Napoleonic Wars begin and end.
2. Research and write an expository essay about the battles that take place on land between Britain and France during the Napoleonic Wars.
3. Compare/Contrast the importance of the British infantry during the Napoleonic Wars to the importance of the British infantry during either WWI or WWII.
4. Write an expository essay on how the Napoleonic War affects the social culture of one of the following countries: Britain, France, or Germany.
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)