|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What men does Sharpe have left to fight?
(a) About half a company.
(b) Most of his men are still alive and fighting.
(c) Two ranks of infantry and some riflemen.
(d) About half a squad.
2. What does MacKeon suggest to Sharpe?
(a) That there is always a back way in.
(b) That MacKeon go to Wellington to request reinforcements.
(c) That Sharpe evacuate non-essential personal from the town.
(d) That Sharpe send in an assassin to deal with Pailleterie.
3. Who does Sharpe take as prisoner?
(a) The lead Hussar.
(d) No one.
4. What gives Pailleterie an advantage in charging across the bridge?
(a) The rising sun blinds the English.
(b) The English have their guns pointed the opposite direction.
(c) The English are dug in in trenches.
5. How does Sharpe light the oil?
(a) Fires his pistol into it.
(b) Uses his flint.
(c) His intention is to make the French slide off the bridge, not to set fire to it.
(d) Harris brings him a lighted taper from a fire in the village.
6. Why does Pailleterie allow Tubbs to keep his sword?
(a) Tubbs has been secretly working with the French.
(b) Tubbs is related to Pailleterie.
(c) Tubbs gives his parole.
(d) Tubbs seems harmless.
7. Why is Sharpe in a quandary?
(a) He does not not the best way to defend against the large French force.
(b) He is unsure whether to deploy his cavalry against the heavy French cavalry.
(c) He does not know if he should give up the bridge and find a more defensible position.
(d) He does not know how many French he has to fight.
8. What else does the French commander decide to try to do to Sharpe's men?
(a) Take some captive to interrogate.
(b) Separate them into small groups.
(c) Send his lancers in to finish Sharpe's men off.
(d) Confuse them.
9. Of what is MacKeon reminded?
(a) A battle he read about in his military studies.
(b) A fort he and Sharpe took near Brest.
(c) A seige near Sangre.
10. What does Sharp do in the place where he sneaks?
(a) Tries to rescue Harper.
(b) Tries to kidnap Pailleterie.
(c) Quietly calls a man to come over.
(d) Tries to convince Major Tubbs to sabotage the French muskets.
11. What looks like a makeshift caltrops?
(a) The broken wine bottles.
(b) The pieces of melted metal from the muskets.
(c) The fence baling wire struck out on the bridge.
(d) Nothing; they have no caltrops or anything that resembles these.
12. Why does Pailleterie shelter his men in the fort?
(a) To keep the British in the fort from escaping.
(b) To shelter his losses.
(c) Because of the heavy gunfire coming from the farmhouse.
(d) To keep the fort from being retaken.
13. Who else is filled with rage as Sharpe is?
14. What does Pailleterie think is his last chance when he orders his men to charge?
(a) To finally get rid of the British from the area.
(b) To hold the bridge.
(c) To acquit himself with honor.
(d) He knows he can dig in and wait for reinforcements, so he is not worried.
15. What is a four-pointed star of metal spikes that disables horses?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Teresa wave at Sharpe?
2. What does Tubbs say about Sharpe being an officer?
3. Who makes a suggestion to Sharpe to help him in his strategic plans?
4. What flies high above Tormes?
5. Who arrives at the fort at San Miguel at the beginning of this section?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)