|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has Pailleterie given his men before?
(a) Free license to kill and loot.
(b) A pay bonus after victory.
(c) A commendation.
2. What else does the French commander decide to try to do to Sharpe's men?
(a) Send his lancers in to finish Sharpe's men off.
(b) Separate them into small groups.
(c) Take some captive to interrogate.
(d) Confuse them.
3. How is a barricade created to help the British?
(a) The wagon is finally retrieved from the river.
(b) They no longer need a barricade.
(c) The pile of dead horses.
(d) The gate timbers.
4. Of what is MacKeon reminded?
(a) A battle he read about in his military studies.
(b) A fort he and Sharpe took near Brest.
(d) A seige near Sangre.
5. What is being stored in the back of the chapel?
(a) The muskets Tubbs was checking out.
(b) The poison.
(c) The wine Harper did not destroy.
(d) A few cases of dynamite.
6. What is a four-pointed star of metal spikes that disables horses?
7. Why would she go there?
(a) To visit her infant daughter.
(b) To visit her ill brother.
(c) To visit her ill grandmother.
(d) To recruit more men to the rebel cause.
8. For what does Sharpe know he will be blamed?
(a) The loss of so many men.
(b) The loss of the muskets.
(c) The disruption to the British supply lines.
(d) The capture of Major Tubbs.
9. How does Sharpe light the oil?
(a) Harris brings him a lighted taper from a fire in the village.
(b) His intention is to make the French slide off the bridge, not to set fire to it.
(c) Uses his flint.
(d) Fires his pistol into it.
10. How did the French fool Sharpe?
(a) They did not fool Sharpe.
(b) By sneaking down the riverbank.
(c) By splitting their forces into three directions.
(d) By coming up from the rear of the fort.
11. What does Sharpe perceive when he looks down Salamanca Road?
(a) Several horse strays walking down the road.
(b) A lone dog sniffing in the bushes.
(c) Some shadows that are not cast by trees.
(d) All is quiet.
12. Where does Sharpe sprinkle oil and add kindling?
(a) On the bridge.
(b) In the fort commander's office.
(c) In the fort's stables.
(d) In the storeroom of the fort.
13. What do Perkins, Cooper and Harris bring to Sharpe?
(a) A message from Wellington.
(b) One of the captured French soldiers.
(c) A message from Teresa.
(d) Bundles in blankets.
14. What does Teresa wave at Sharpe?
(a) Her bandana.
(b) A flag.
(c) The letter requesting reinforcements.
(d) Her hand.
15. Where is the wagon that had originally blockaded the bridge?
(a) In the river.
(b) Sharpe does not know.
(c) Sitting on the other bank.
(d) Burned to ashes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of the horse is disabled?
2. Who makes a suggestion to Sharpe to help him in his strategic plans?
3. Why does Teresa go to Salamanca?
4. What does Sharpe order Harper and the rest of his men to do?
5. What does Sharpe find when he sneaks to a wall of the fort?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)