|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sharpe order the redcoats to do?
(a) Fire at the charging lancers.
(b) Retreat to the back side of the fort.
(c) Flank the dragoons.
(d) Flank the lancers.
2. Why is Sharpe in a quandary?
(a) He does not know how many French he has to fight.
(b) He does not not the best way to defend against the large French force.
(c) He is unsure whether to deploy his cavalry against the heavy French cavalry.
(d) He does not know if he should give up the bridge and find a more defensible position.
3. What does Tubbs say about Sharpe being an officer?
(a) He acts more like a noble than many nobles.
(b) He may be an officer, but he's no gentleman.
(c) He is the finest there is.
(d) He was brought up through the ranks.
4. How is a barricade created to help the British?
(a) The wagon is finally retrieved from the river.
(b) The gate timbers.
(c) The pile of dead horses.
(d) They no longer need a barricade.
5. Why would she go there?
(a) To recruit more men to the rebel cause.
(b) To visit her ill grandmother.
(c) To visit her ill brother.
(d) To visit her infant daughter.
6. Where is the wagon that had originally blockaded the bridge?
(a) Burned to ashes.
(b) In the river.
(c) Sitting on the other bank.
(d) Sharpe does not know.
7. Where may Teresa go if the French do not arrive?
8. When should Herault arrive?
(a) 5 days.
(b) 6 hours.
(c) 2 days.
(d) 2 hours.
9. Why do the dragoons cease firing upon the British?
(a) Their ammo is wet.
(b) To allow the lancers to charge.
(c) They see British reinforcements arriving.
(d) They are out of ammo.
10. Why does Sharpe order his men to retreat?
(a) He orders them to attack, not retreat.
(b) So he can plan.
(c) So they can draw the French into an ambush.
(d) So they do not get slaughtered.
11. What does Sharpe see is lost?
(a) The farmhouse where Harper is hiding.
(b) The bridge.
(c) The town of San Miguel.
(d) The fort.
12. How does the French commander plan to kill all the British?
(a) With his heavy cavalry.
(b) He wants to make them retreat; not kill them all.
(c) By charging the bridge with overwhelming forces.
(d) With his artillery.
13. What do Teresa's men do that gives their presence away to Pailleterie?
(a) Roast rabbits over a fire.
(b) Shoot a few rifles in the air when they get drunk.
(c) Get in a fight and make noise.
14. What does Pailleterie order his men and the prisoners to do?
(a) To hold fast.
(b) To smash down the southern wall of the fort.
(c) Gather in the Eastern corner of the fort.
(d) Gather on to the bridge.
15. Why is Coignet's order useless?
(a) The fire has spread too far.
(b) The men have run out the west gate and are headed towards Avila.
(c) The men have no further to retreat.
(d) The gates are ablaze.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what nationality are the lancers of the French army?
2. Where does Sharpe sprinkle oil and add kindling?
3. What men does Sharpe have left to fight?
4. What else does the French commander decide to try to do to Sharpe's men?
5. What is the name of the group of soldiers who accompany Pailleterie?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)