|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the French do besides bombard and shell the fortress?
(a) Poison the water supply.
(b) Shoot fire arrows.
(c) Make several feints.
(d) Dig tunnels.
2. What does Bampfylde decide to do when de Maquerre tells him Sharpe's forces have been killed to the man?
(a) Gets the men to start fortifying.
(b) Sends scouts to check out his story.
(c) Slaps de Maquerre in chains.
(d) Decides to abandon the fortress.
3. What kind of motivation does the French commanding officers have?
(a) Everyone has a different motivation.
(b) One has little motivation for the battle.
(c) To take back Teste de Buch.
(d) To win glory for the men.
4. How are advancing French elements driven off?
(a) Boiling oil.
(b) Stone catapults from the fortress.
(c) Accurate rifle fire.
5. Why does Sharpe surrender?
(a) He is badly wounded
(b) He has no more supplies.
(c) He has few men left.
(d) He has made an agreement with Killick.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what type of formation do the French assault the Teste de Buch the first time after bombardment and shelling?
2. Why does Sharpe order the men not to shoot unless they know they can kill?
3. What is the weather like when the French forces meet?
4. What does Sharpe order be done with the British flag over the fortress?
5. What type of supplies did Sharpe's men carry when marching overland?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Pierre Ducos and describe his unusual status.
2. What happens when the French first arrive at the fort and how does Calvet respond to it?
3. What does Bampfylde do about Killick's ship and how does that turn out?
4. What do both Calvet and Sharpe realize about the assaults on the fortress and how it will end.
5. What occurs during the exchange between Calvet and Killick?
6. What happens with Ducos' plan and how does Sharpe feel about de Maquerre's information?
7. What does Sharpe and his men ambush?
8. What do the French do on their first assault on the fortress?
9. What does Bampfylde do before leaving Teste de Buch?
10. What finally sets up a French assault for the next day?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)