|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Harper relate to Knowles?
(a) That several men are being questioned in the stockade.
(b) The story of Harper finding the gold.
(c) That El Catolico plans to ambush the company.
(d) That Sharpe is badly wounded from a duel with El Catolico.
2. Who is dead in the village?
(a) No one.
(b) Every man, woman, child and animal except one man.
(c) All the mercenary soldiers but none of the villagers.
(d) A few peasants, but most of the villagers are alive.
3. Who do Harper and Sharpe capture?
(a) A German artillery man.
(b) A Polish General.
(c) A Polish lancer.
(d) A Spanish interpreter.
4. What is the South Essex Regiment of riflemen?
(a) Sharpe's unit.
(b) The unit that Sharpe wants to join.
(c) The unit commanded by the Prince of Orange.
(d) The unit commanded by the Duke of York.
5. Why does Sharpe have suspicions about Kearsey?
(a) He changes his story several times.
(b) Because of Hogan.
(c) He seems shifty.
(d) He has a strange accent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one thing that makes Sharpe suspect El Catolico?
2. To whom is Sharpe ordered to apologize?
3. To what does El Catolico admit?
4. What does Sharpe admit to Wellington?
5. Who guides Sharpe and Harper through the terrain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the English attack on the French in the village.
2. Where and who are the Provosts and what is their purpose?
3. What sort of guide is Kearsey and why do the men find him annoying?
4. What does Sharpe decide to do based upon what Harper tells him?
5. Who is Michael Hogan and what does he tell Sharpe about Sharpe's mission?
6. What does Sharpe find when he follows the woman he later learns is Teresa?
7. Why are Sharpe's men angry and sad as they enter the village?
8. What does Sharpe observe during the fighting between the Spanish and French and for whom does he look?
9. Who does not agree with most of the others, but why is that not obvious?
10. Describe Sharpe's company's escape from the village where the gold was.
This section contains 1,188 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)