|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack leave on Lily's back porch that she must get rid of?
2. Arnita Winthrop wants Lily to come to her house___________.
3. How was the bomb detonated?
4. What awakens Lily from her nightmare in Chapter Six?
5. What comment had Carrie made about the bombing that Lily thinks about while cleaning Deedra's?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lily handle the men who come to her door looking for Jack?
2. How does Howell react to Lily's presence in his home while it was broken into?
3. What transpires between Bobo and Lily when he comes to the house after she does not show up for karate class?
4. What part does Lanette Glass play in the meeting at Golgotha Church?
5. What does Lily do to help Jack while he is in her home?
6. Why has Lily chosen Shakespeare as her home?
7. What injuries does Claude sustain in the explosion and what steps will be taken to care for him?
8. What do Lily and Carrie discuss when Lily goes to the clinic to clean?
9. What thoughts go through Lily's mind as she is cleaning Deedra's apartment in Chapter Seven?
10. Explain the conversation that takes place between Lanette and Lily in the church.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In a serious piece of literature, violence is not used simply for violence sake. What violence does Harris give to the reader, and what are her motives for using this violence?
Essay Topic 2
How is Tom David Meicklejohn the worst character of the novel? Does he redeem himself in the end? Defend your answer.
Essay Topic 3
What emotional and physical scars does Lily carry with her? How do these scars affect the way in which she becomes involved in the racism infecting Shakespeare? How do her goals for herself match her goals for Shakespeare?
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)