|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What change has Lewis made since he last saw Joy?
2. In what city does the play take place?
3. What is Lewis doing as the scene opens?
4. C.S. Lewis is also referred to by what name?
5. In the first scene, how many room are there?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Joy asked of Lewis? How did he respond to this request? How do others feel about this?
2. What do Lewis and Joy discuss in the scene? How do they feel after this conversation?
3. Where does Scene 2 open? Who is present in the scene? What are they doing?
4. What do Lewis and Joy joke about? Why do they joke about this topic?
5. Describe the wedding that takes place. What is Douglas doing while the wedding takes place?
6. Who startles Lewis? What does this person tell Lewis? How does he feel about the news?
7. What does Lewis tell Douglas? What does Douglas ask?
8. How are the vows recited in the scene? How does the scene keep the tenor of Lewis and Joy's relationship at this stage?
9. What piece of furniture is mentioned in this scene? Why is this furniture important?
10. What does Lewis' decision reveal about him and his feelings? How will this decision affect him and those around him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What significance does the wardrobe have in the play? Where does this reference come from? Who interacts with the wardrobe? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of friendship in the play. What characteristics of friendship are presented? What negative aspects of friendship are presented? Who do you think best portrays friendship in the play? Why?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the play, Lewis says "The pain now, is part of the happiness, then. That's the deal." What does Lewis mean by this quote? Do you agree with him? Why?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)