|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lewis ask Joy?
2. In what city does the play take place?
3. Scene 6 opens at what?
4. What does Joy tell Lewis about Douglas?
5. What is the name of Joy's son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lewis discover Joy doing? What news has Joy received?
2. What does Lewis do after the party breaks up?
3. What do Lewis and Warnie think before they meet Joy? How do Douglas and the adults react to the meeting?
4. What does Douglas ask Lewis about? What is Lewis' answer?
5. How do Lewis and Warnie feel about Joy's impending visit to their home? Why is she coming?
6. Where does scene 1 open? Describe the location. Who is present as the scene opens?
7. What is revealed about Joy? How does she feel about this now?
8. Describe the wedding that takes place. What is Douglas doing while the wedding takes place?
9. What does Lewis tell Douglas? What does Douglas ask?
10. What does Lewis ask Douglas about that Douglas doesn't respond to? What does Douglas' lack of response say about the situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one scene in the play and describe how you would stage this scene if you were in charge. What props would you use? What would the scene look like? What instructions would you give the actors for the scene?
Essay Topic 2
Which scene in the play do you think has the most impact? Why? Describe the scene and discuss what aspects of this scene make it an important one in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Lewis and Warnie's impressions and feelings about Joy in the first act of the play. How to the two men see Joy? How do their feelings change and evolve about Joy through the play?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)