|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is with Lewis as the scene opens?
2. Where does scene 9 open?
3. Which word(s) best describe the wedding?
4. Which college is Lewis from?
5. What startles Lewis as he works?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Warnie and Lewis doing as this scene opens? What does Lewis admit to Warnie?
2. What do Lewis and Joy discuss before she leaves? What does he ask her? What does Joy ask of Lewis?
3. What does Warnie do after the ceremony is over? Why does he do this?
4. What does Lewis discover Joy doing? What news has Joy received?
5. What are the men talking about? How do their views differ?
6. What do Lewis and Warnie think before they meet Joy? How do Douglas and the adults react to the meeting?
7. What topic does Lewis discuss as the scene opens? What does he reveal to the audience?
8. What does Lewis tell Joy? How does she respond?
9. What does Lewis' decision reveal about him and his feelings? How will this decision affect him and those around him?
10. What do Lewis and Warnie find when they reach the hospital? What does the doctor tell them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Lewis and Warnie's impressions and feelings about Joy in the first act of the play. How to the two men see Joy? How do their feelings change and evolve about Joy through the play?
Essay Topic 2
In the first scene of the play, Lewis describes what is meant by "Shadowlands." What definition does he give to this term? Why do you think the play is titled by this? What meaning does the play give us for what the Shadowlands are?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of friendship in the play. What characteristics of friendship are presented? What negative aspects of friendship are presented? Who do you think best portrays friendship in the play? Why?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)