|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lewis' participation in the marriage indicate?
2. Where is Joy's husband?
3. How does Joy leave Lewis' home?
4. What happens to Joy in this scene?
5. Why is Joy marrying Lewis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What topic does the conversation turn to after Joy arrives? What does Riley do? How does Joy react?
2. What does Lewis do in this scene? Who does he address? What topics does he discuss?
3. What is the wedding ceremony like? Describe what happens.
4. What does the doctor tell Lewis? What mood is Joy in at this time? What do Joy and Lewis discuss?
5. Where does the scene open? What is happening? Why is the event happening at this office?
6. What do the two brothers joke about? What do they decide to do about the letter's request?
7. Where do Joy and Lewis decide to go? Why? What is this trip like?
8. What do Lewis and Joy discuss before she leaves? What does he ask her? What does Joy ask of Lewis?
9. Why is everyone cautious in this scene? What are they afraid of?
10. What does Lewis' decision reveal about him and his feelings? How will this decision affect him and those around him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Warnie and Lewis. What differences are there between the two men? What similarities do they share? How do the men react to Joy's presence in their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Why do Joy and Lewis get married the first time? What benefit does the marriage bring? How do they each feel about this? Describe what this wedding is like. How does the wedding change their relationship? In what ways does it remain the same?
Essay Topic 3
How does Lewis' experiences with his mother mirror the events of the play? What happened to Lewis' mother? Who is Lewis able to help because of his experiences? How?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)