|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lewis offer to Joy?
2. Who initiated the marriage between Lewis and Joy?
3. What does Joy's son wonder about Lewis' book?
4. Who is present at Lewis and Joy's wedding?
5. Lewis and Warnie joke about Joy's what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What piece of furniture is mentioned in this scene? Why is this furniture important?
2. Where does the scene open? Who is present? What are the characters doing?
3. Why is everyone cautious in this scene? What are they afraid of?
4. What do Lewis and Warnie think before they meet Joy? How do Douglas and the adults react to the meeting?
5. What does Lewis do to help ease the tension between him and Joy? What do they discuss?
6. What do Joy and Lewis talk about? What does Joy tell Lewis that she warns him about ahead of time?
7. What is revealed about Joy? How does she feel about this now?
8. Describe the wedding that takes place. What is Douglas doing while the wedding takes place?
9. What happens as Lewis goes to leave? What does this event signify?
10. What does Lewis ask Joy? How does she feel about this request?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Lewis' past mirror the events in the play? What similarities are there? How do you think his past influences Lewis' actions in regards to Joy's illness and his new family?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Warnie and Lewis. What differences are there between the two men? What similarities do they share? How do the men react to Joy's presence in their lives?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the play, Lewis says "The pain now, is part of the happiness, then. That's the deal." What does Lewis mean by this quote? Do you agree with him? Why?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)