|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lewis not join Warnie?
2. Where does Douglas go?
3. Where does Joy invite Warnie and Lewis?
4. What does Lewis promise Joy?
5. What do Joy and Lewis joke about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the wedding that takes place. What is Douglas doing while the wedding takes place?
2. How do the four men feel about Joy's condition and her improvement? How do they handle the news that Joy is improving?
3. What topic does the conversation turn to after Joy arrives? What does Riley do? How does Joy react?
4. What letter does Lewis receive? What does the scene reveal about the sender?
5. What do Lewis and Warnie think before they meet Joy? How do Douglas and the adults react to the meeting?
6. What does Lewis declare to Joy? What does he ask of Harrington? How do Harrington and Riley respond to this news?
7. What do Lewis and Joy make plans to do? What does Douglas do as they are getting ready to leave?
8. What does Douglas ask Lewis about? What is Lewis' answer?
9. What does Lewis do in this scene? Who does he address? What topics does he discuss?
10. What is revealed about Joy? How does she feel about this now?
Essay Topic 1
How does Lewis' experiences with his mother mirror the events of the play? What happened to Lewis' mother? Who is Lewis able to help because of his experiences? How?
Essay Topic 2
How does Lewis' past mirror the events in the play? What similarities are there? How do you think his past influences Lewis' actions in regards to Joy's illness and his new family?
Essay Topic 3
How does Joy's illness affect the characters in the play? How does she handle her illness? What message do you think the play has about illness and suffering?
This section contains 1,458 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)