|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Joy written to Lewis?
2. Which college is Lewis from?
3. Where does scene four open?
4. Which word best describes the flowers for the wedding?
5. What do Lewis and Joy talk about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is C.S. Lewis? How is he described in the play?
2. Where does scene 1 open? Describe the location. Who is present as the scene opens?
3. How are the vows recited in the scene? How does the scene keep the tenor of Lewis and Joy's relationship at this stage?
4. Where does Scene 2 open? Who is present in the scene? What are they doing?
5. What does Lewis do in this scene? Who does he address? What topics does he discuss?
6. What do Lewis and Warnie find when they reach the hospital? What does the doctor tell them?
7. What do Warnie and Harrington discuss in this scene? What does Riley add to the conversation?
8. What does Riley tell Lewis about? How does Lewis feel about what Riley tells him?
9. What is Joy's condition like? How is she feeling?
10. What does Lewis declare to Joy? What does he ask of Harrington? How do Harrington and Riley respond to this news?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which scene in the play do you think has the most impact? Why? Describe the scene and discuss what aspects of this scene make it an important one in the play.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the play, Lewis says "The pain now, is part of the happiness, then. That's the deal." What does Lewis mean by this quote? Do you agree with him? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Lewis and Joy experience gossip targeted at them during the play. Who gossips about the couple? Why do you think people gossip about Joy and Lewis' relationship? What effect does the gossip have?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)