|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does scene 10 open?
2. What is Joy preparing to do as the scene ends?
3. What is Lewis talking about as the scene opens?
4. Who is skeptical about Joy's intentions?
5. What profession are the men in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Joy's condition like? How is she feeling?
2. What do Joy and Lewis talk about? What does Joy ask Lewis?
3. What do Lewis and Joy make plans to do? What does Douglas do as they are getting ready to leave?
4. What does Warnie do after the ceremony is over? Why does he do this?
5. What is Joy's homecoming like? What activities does the family engage in?
6. What do Lewis and Joy discuss in the scene? How do they feel after this conversation?
7. What letter does Lewis receive? What does the scene reveal about the sender?
8. What are Warnie and Lewis doing as this scene opens? What does Lewis admit to Warnie?
9. How is Lewis handling the news? What does he say or do that reveal how he is feeling?
10. What does the doctor tell Lewis? What mood is Joy in at this time? What do Joy and Lewis discuss?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In several sections of the play, Lewis appears to be giving a lecture to the audience. What topics does Lewis talk about in these monologues? Why do you think the author of the play included these sections? What purpose do they have in the play?
Essay Topic 2
What illness is Joy diagnosed with? How does her illness change the dynamics in her relationship with Lewis and Warnie? What does Joy endure during her illness? How does Joy's illness end?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one scene in the play and describe how you would stage this scene if you were in charge. What props would you use? What would the scene look like? What instructions would you give the actors for the scene?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)