|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lewis and Joy banter about what?
2. Who is Lewis' brother?
3. Who is with Lewis as the scene opens?
4. Which word(s) best describe the wedding?
5. What profession are the men in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Lewis and Joy joke about? Why do they joke about this topic?
2. What does Lewis do in this scene? Who does he address? What topics does he discuss?
3. What does Lewis say about his friendship with Joy? Does this reassure Warnie?
4. What does Lewis ask Douglas about that Douglas doesn't respond to? What does Douglas' lack of response say about the situation?
5. What do Lewis and Joy discuss before she leaves? What does he ask her? What does Joy ask of Lewis?
6. What is revealed about Joy? How does she feel about this now?
7. What does Riley tell Lewis about? How does Lewis feel about what Riley tells him?
8. What topic does Lewis discuss as the scene opens? What does he reveal to the audience?
9. What letter does Lewis receive? What does the scene reveal about the sender?
10. How is Lewis handling the news? What does he say or do that reveal how he is feeling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do Joy and Lewis get married the first time? What benefit does the marriage bring? How do they each feel about this? Describe what this wedding is like. How does the wedding change their relationship? In what ways does it remain the same?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Warnie and Lewis' relationship. How would you characterize their relationship at the beginning of the play? What hurdles do the men face in their relationship? Do they overcome these hurdles? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In the first scene of the play, Lewis describes what is meant by "Shadowlands." What definition does he give to this term? Why do you think the play is titled by this? What meaning does the play give us for what the Shadowlands are?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)