|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lewis' brother has had too much of what?
2. Lewis and Joy banter about what?
3. How does Joy leave Lewis' home?
4. As scene 5 opens, Lewis and Warnie are preparing for what?
5. Which word(s) best describe the wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Lewis and Warnie feel about Joy's impending visit to their home? Why is she coming?
2. What letter does Lewis receive? What does the scene reveal about the sender?
3. What does Douglas ask Lewis about? What is Lewis' answer?
4. What does Lewis tell Douglas? What does Douglas ask?
5. What does Warnie do after the ceremony is over? Why does he do this?
6. Where does scene 1 open? Describe the location. Who is present as the scene opens?
7. What does Lewis do to help ease the tension between him and Joy? What do they discuss?
8. How do the four men feel about Joy's condition and her improvement? How do they handle the news that Joy is improving?
9. What do Joy and Lewis talk about? What does Joy ask Lewis?
10. What has Joy asked of Lewis? How did he respond to this request? How do others feel about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Warnie and Lewis' relationship. How would you characterize their relationship at the beginning of the play? What hurdles do the men face in their relationship? Do they overcome these hurdles? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In several sections of the play, Lewis appears to be giving a lecture to the audience. What topics does Lewis talk about in these monologues? Why do you think the author of the play included these sections? What purpose do they have in the play?
Essay Topic 3
How does Lewis' experiences with his mother mirror the events of the play? What happened to Lewis' mother? Who is Lewis able to help because of his experiences? How?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)