|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Joy marrying Lewis?
2. Warnie reminds Lewis of what?
3. Where does the second scene open?
4. What does Warnie do as he and Lewis talk?
5. What does Joy's son wonder about Lewis' book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What piece of furniture is mentioned in this scene? Why is this furniture important?
2. What do Lewis and Warnie find when they reach the hospital? What does the doctor tell them?
3. How do the four men feel about Joy's condition and her improvement? How do they handle the news that Joy is improving?
4. What does Lewis ask Douglas about that Douglas doesn't respond to? What does Douglas' lack of response say about the situation?
5. Where does Scene 2 open? Who is present in the scene? What are they doing?
6. What does the doctor tell Lewis? What mood is Joy in at this time? What do Joy and Lewis discuss?
7. What does Lewis do in this scene? Who does he address? What topics does he discuss?
8. What does Lewis do after the party breaks up?
9. Who is present at the beginning of the scene? What are they discussing? How does Lewis respond to them?
10. What are Warnie and Lewis doing as this scene opens? What does Lewis admit to Warnie?
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the play makes use of foreshadowing. What events are foreshadowed in the play? How are these events foreshadowed? Why do you think the author used foreshadowing in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Which scene in the play do you think has the most impact? Why? Describe the scene and discuss what aspects of this scene make it an important one in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Lewis and Joy experience gossip targeted at them during the play. Who gossips about the couple? Why do you think people gossip about Joy and Lewis' relationship? What effect does the gossip have?
This section contains 1,457 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)