|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lewis doing when Warnie enters the room?
2. Where does scene 9 open?
3. How old is Lewis at the start of the play?
4. Which book does Joy's son ask Lewis about?
5. Where does the second scene open?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lewis do after the party breaks up?
2. What do Warnie and Harrington discuss in this scene? What does Riley add to the conversation?
3. What do Lewis and Joy discuss in the scene? How do they feel after this conversation?
4. What topic does Lewis discuss as the scene opens? What does he reveal to the audience?
5. What do Joy and Lewis talk about? What does Joy ask Lewis?
6. What is revealed about Joy? How does she feel about this now?
7. What does Lewis say about pain, suffering, and love? What benefit does he believe that suffering has?
8. What topic does the conversation turn to after Joy arrives? What does Riley do? How does Joy react?
9. Where does the scene open? What is happening? Why is the event happening at this office?
10. What is Warnie's suggestion about women? What does he mean by this suggestion? Why does he say that he may not know fully?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one scene in the play and describe how you would stage this scene if you were in charge. What props would you use? What would the scene look like? What instructions would you give the actors for the scene?
Essay Topic 2
Why do Joy and Lewis get married the first time? What benefit does the marriage bring? How do they each feel about this? Describe what this wedding is like. How does the wedding change their relationship? In what ways does it remain the same?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the play, Lewis says "The pain now, is part of the happiness, then. That's the deal." What does Lewis mean by this quote? Do you agree with him? Why?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)