|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lewis offer to Joy?
2. What is Riley's theory on women?
3. Which word describes how Lewis feels about Joy's move?
4. Who is with Lewis as the scene opens?
5. What does Joy's son want to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Warnie and Lewis doing as this scene opens? What does Lewis admit to Warnie?
2. Who is C.S. Lewis? How is he described in the play?
3. Where does the scene open? What is happening? Why is the event happening at this office?
4. Who is present at the beginning of the scene? What are they discussing? How does Lewis respond to them?
5. What are Lewis and Douglas talking about when the scene opens? What input does Joy give on this topic?
6. How are the vows recited in the scene? How does the scene keep the tenor of Lewis and Joy's relationship at this stage?
7. What are Lewis and Joy's interactions like? What does Joy do that surprises Lewis?
8. What do Joy and Lewis talk about? What does Joy tell Lewis that she warns him about ahead of time?
9. What does Lewis talk to Douglas about? On what topic does Lewis end the play?
10. What are the men talking about? How do their views differ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Joy's illness affect the characters in the play? How does she handle her illness? What message do you think the play has about illness and suffering?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Warnie and Lewis' relationship. How would you characterize their relationship at the beginning of the play? What hurdles do the men face in their relationship? Do they overcome these hurdles? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the play makes use of foreshadowing. What events are foreshadowed in the play? How are these events foreshadowed? Why do you think the author used foreshadowing in the play?
This section contains 1,513 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)