|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Joy marrying Lewis?
2. What does Warnie point out to Lewis?
3. Where is Joy's husband?
4. What does Lewis do to help ease the tension between him and Joy?
5. Who is with Lewis as the scene opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Lewis and Warnie feel about Joy's impending visit to their home? Why is she coming?
2. Who is present at the beginning of the scene? What are they discussing? How does Lewis respond to them?
3. What is Joy's homecoming like? What activities does the family engage in?
4. What does Lewis tell Joy? How does she respond?
5. Describe the wedding that takes place. What is Douglas doing while the wedding takes place?
6. What does Lewis do in this scene? Who does he address? What topics does he discuss?
7. What does Lewis talk to Douglas about? On what topic does Lewis end the play?
8. What does Lewis declare to Joy? What does he ask of Harrington? How do Harrington and Riley respond to this news?
9. What does Lewis tell Douglas? What does Douglas ask?
10. What topic do Lewis, Joy, and Warnie discuss that impacts them all? What decision do they come to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationships between Douglas and Warnie and between Douglas and Lewis. What are these relationships like? How do the men feel about Douglas? How does Douglas feel about the men? How do the relationships change over the course of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Lewis and Warnie's impressions and feelings about Joy in the first act of the play. How to the two men see Joy? How do their feelings change and evolve about Joy through the play?
Essay Topic 3
Lewis and Joy experience gossip targeted at them during the play. Who gossips about the couple? Why do you think people gossip about Joy and Lewis' relationship? What effect does the gossip have?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)