|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Lewis and Warnie doing as scene 7 opens?
2. Which book does Joy's son ask Lewis about?
3. Who does Joy tell Lewis that he should check with about his plans?
4. Who is the letter from?
5. Who is present at Lewis and Joy's wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is everyone cautious in this scene? What are they afraid of?
2. What do Lewis and Joy make plans to do? What does Douglas do as they are getting ready to leave?
3. What is Joy's homecoming like? What activities does the family engage in?
4. What does Warnie do after the ceremony is over? Why does he do this?
5. Where does scene 1 open? Describe the location. Who is present as the scene opens?
6. What is Warnie's suggestion about women? What does he mean by this suggestion? Why does he say that he may not know fully?
7. What do Joy and Lewis talk about? What does Joy ask Lewis?
8. What does Lewis' decision reveal about him and his feelings? How will this decision affect him and those around him?
9. What are the men talking about? How do their views differ?
10. How do the four men feel about Joy's condition and her improvement? How do they handle the news that Joy is improving?
Essay Topic 1
Lewis and Joy experience gossip targeted at them during the play. Who gossips about the couple? Why do you think people gossip about Joy and Lewis' relationship? What effect does the gossip have?
Essay Topic 2
How does Lewis' past mirror the events in the play? What similarities are there? How do you think his past influences Lewis' actions in regards to Joy's illness and his new family?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Lewis and Warnie's impressions and feelings about Joy in the first act of the play. How to the two men see Joy? How do their feelings change and evolve about Joy through the play?
This section contains 1,522 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)