|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which word best describes the wedding rings?
2. The wedding ceremony could best be described as what?
3. How old is Lewis at the start of the play?
4. What do Lewis and Joy discuss after he finds her reading the letter?
5. What does Warnie prod Joy about?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Lewis and Warnie feel about Joy's impending visit to their home? Why is she coming?
2. What does Lewis discover Joy doing? What news has Joy received?
3. What is Warnie's suggestion about women? What does he mean by this suggestion? Why does he say that he may not know fully?
4. What does Lewis do in this scene? Who does he address? What topics does he discuss?
5. What does Warnie do after the ceremony is over? Why does he do this?
6. What does Lewis talk to Douglas about? On what topic does Lewis end the play?
7. Where does Scene 2 open? Who is present in the scene? What are they doing?
8. How is Lewis handling the news? What does he say or do that reveal how he is feeling?
9. Where does the scene open? Who is present? What are the characters doing?
10. What does Lewis ask Joy? How does she feel about this request?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Choose one scene in the play and describe how you would stage this scene if you were in charge. What props would you use? What would the scene look like? What instructions would you give the actors for the scene?
Essay Topic 2Compare and contrast Lewis and Joy's first wedding ceremony with the second ceremony. Who is present at each of the weddings? What conditions are different between the two? How do the participants feel about each of the weddings?
Essay Topic 3How does Joy's illness affect the characters in the play? How does she handle her illness? What message do you think the play has about illness and suffering?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)