Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Lewis and Warnie doing as scene 7 opens?
2. Which book does Joy's son ask Lewis about?
3. Who does Joy tell Lewis that he should check with about his plans?
4. Who is the letter from?
5. Who is present at Lewis and Joy's wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is everyone cautious in this scene? What are they afraid of?
2. What do Lewis and Joy make plans to do? What does Douglas do as they are getting ready to leave?
3. What is Joy's homecoming like? What activities does the family engage in?
4. What does Warnie do after the ceremony is over? Why does he do this?
5. Where does scene 1 open? Describe the location. Who is present as the scene opens?
6. What is Warnie's suggestion about women? What does he mean by this suggestion? Why does he say that he may not know fully?
7. What do Joy and Lewis talk about? What does Joy ask Lewis?
8. What does Lewis' decision reveal about him and his feelings? How will this decision affect him and those around him?
9. What are the men talking about? How do their views differ?
10. How do the four men feel about Joy's condition and her improvement? How do they handle the news that Joy is improving?
In the first scene of the play, Lewis describes what is meant by "Shadowlands." What definition does he give to this term? Why do you think the play is titled by this? What meaning does the play give us for what the Shadowlands are?
How does Lewis' past mirror the events in the play? What similarities are there? How do you think his past influences Lewis' actions in regards to Joy's illness and his new family?
In several sections of the play, Lewis appears to be giving a lecture to the audience. What topics does Lewis talk about in these monologues? Why do you think the author of the play included these sections? What purpose do they have in the play?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)