|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Lewis' brother?
2. What change has Lewis made since he last saw Joy?
3. Why has Joy written to Lewis?
4. Where does scene four open?
5. How old was Lewis when his mother died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Joy and Lewis decide to go? Why? What is this trip like?
2. What letter does Lewis receive? What does the scene reveal about the sender?
3. What do Lewis and Joy make plans to do? What does Douglas do as they are getting ready to leave?
4. What does Douglas ask Lewis about? What is Lewis' answer?
5. What is the wedding ceremony like? Describe what happens.
6. Who is present at the beginning of the scene? What are they discussing? How does Lewis respond to them?
7. What is Warnie concerned about as the scene opens? Why is he concerned about this?
8. How are the vows recited in the scene? How does the scene keep the tenor of Lewis and Joy's relationship at this stage?
9. What do Lewis and Warnie think before they meet Joy? How do Douglas and the adults react to the meeting?
10. What does Lewis say about his friendship with Joy? Does this reassure Warnie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What illness is Joy diagnosed with? How does her illness change the dynamics in her relationship with Lewis and Warnie? What does Joy endure during her illness? How does Joy's illness end?
Essay Topic 2
Why do Joy and Lewis get married the first time? What benefit does the marriage bring? How do they each feel about this? Describe what this wedding is like. How does the wedding change their relationship? In what ways does it remain the same?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Warnie and Lewis. What differences are there between the two men? What similarities do they share? How do the men react to Joy's presence in their lives?
This section contains 1,429 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)