|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Joy in this scene?
2. The wedding ceremony could best be described as what?
3. What is Lewis doing as the scene opens?
4. What are the guests surprised to learn?
5. Who does Lewis reassure in this chapter that Lewis and Joy are just friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lewis discover Joy doing? What news has Joy received?
2. What are Lewis and Douglas talking about when the scene opens? What input does Joy give on this topic?
3. What do Warnie and Harrington discuss in this scene? What does Riley add to the conversation?
4. What do Joy and Lewis talk about? What does Joy tell Lewis that she warns him about ahead of time?
5. Where does the scene open? Who is present? What are the characters doing?
6. How are the vows recited in the scene? How does the scene keep the tenor of Lewis and Joy's relationship at this stage?
7. What do Lewis and Joy discuss in the scene? How do they feel after this conversation?
8. What piece of furniture is mentioned in this scene? Why is this furniture important?
9. What does Riley tell Lewis about? How does Lewis feel about what Riley tells him?
10. What does Lewis do to help ease the tension between him and Joy? What do they discuss?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the first scene of the play, Lewis describes what is meant by "Shadowlands." What definition does he give to this term? Why do you think the play is titled by this? What meaning does the play give us for what the Shadowlands are?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationships between Douglas and Warnie and between Douglas and Lewis. What are these relationships like? How do the men feel about Douglas? How does Douglas feel about the men? How do the relationships change over the course of the play?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the play, Lewis says "The pain now, is part of the happiness, then. That's the deal." What does Lewis mean by this quote? Do you agree with him? Why?
This section contains 1,480 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)