|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. C.S. Lewis is also referred to by what name?
2. Who does Lewis live with?
3. What does Joy ask of Lewis?
4. What does Lewis do to help ease the tension between him and Joy?
5. What does Lewis encourage Warnie to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Lewis and Warnie think before they meet Joy? How do Douglas and the adults react to the meeting?
2. What do Lewis and Joy make plans to do? What does Douglas do as they are getting ready to leave?
3. What is Warnie concerned about as the scene opens? Why is he concerned about this?
4. What letter does Lewis receive? What does the scene reveal about the sender?
5. What does Lewis do after the party breaks up?
6. What do Lewis and Warnie find when they reach the hospital? What does the doctor tell them?
7. What is Warnie's suggestion about women? What does he mean by this suggestion? Why does he say that he may not know fully?
8. What does Lewis do in this scene? Who does he address? What topics does he discuss?
9. What are the men talking about? How do their views differ?
10. What stereotype does Warnie have about Americans? What does he mean by his statement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What illness is Joy diagnosed with? How does her illness change the dynamics in her relationship with Lewis and Warnie? What does Joy endure during her illness? How does Joy's illness end?
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the play, Lewis says "The pain now, is part of the happiness, then. That's the deal." What does Lewis mean by this quote? Do you agree with him? Why?
Essay Topic 3
How does Lewis' experiences with his mother mirror the events of the play? What happened to Lewis' mother? Who is Lewis able to help because of his experiences? How?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)