|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what city does the play take place?
2. What profession are the men in?
3. How did Lewis respond to Joy's request?
4. What do Lewis and Joy discuss after he finds her reading the letter?
5. Where is Joy's husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. What topic do Lewis, Joy, and Warnie discuss that impacts them all? What decision do they come to?
2. Who is present at the beginning of the scene? What are they discussing? How does Lewis respond to them?
3. What happens as Lewis goes to leave? What does this event signify?
4. What does Riley tell Lewis about? How does Lewis feel about what Riley tells him?
5. How are the vows recited in the scene? How does the scene keep the tenor of Lewis and Joy's relationship at this stage?
6. What does Lewis say about his friendship with Joy? Does this reassure Warnie?
7. What are Lewis and Joy's interactions like? What does Joy do that surprises Lewis?
8. What do Lewis and Joy joke about? Why do they joke about this topic?
9. Where does Scene 2 open? Who is present in the scene? What are they doing?
10. What does Lewis' decision reveal about him and his feelings? How will this decision affect him and those around him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Warnie and Lewis' relationship. How would you characterize their relationship at the beginning of the play? What hurdles do the men face in their relationship? Do they overcome these hurdles? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the play makes use of foreshadowing. What events are foreshadowed in the play? How are these events foreshadowed? Why do you think the author used foreshadowing in the play?
Essay Topic 3
What illness is Joy diagnosed with? How does her illness change the dynamics in her relationship with Lewis and Warnie? What does Joy endure during her illness? How does Joy's illness end?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)