Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Lewis and Warnie doing as scene 7 opens?
2. Which book does Joy's son ask Lewis about?
3. Who does Joy tell Lewis that he should check with about his plans?
4. Who is the letter from?
5. Who is present at Lewis and Joy's wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is everyone cautious in this scene? What are they afraid of?
2. What do Lewis and Joy make plans to do? What does Douglas do as they are getting ready to leave?
3. What is Joy's homecoming like? What activities does the family engage in?
4. What does Warnie do after the ceremony is over? Why does he do this?
5. Where does scene 1 open? Describe the location. Who is present as the scene opens?
6. What is Warnie's suggestion about women? What does he mean by this suggestion? Why does he say that he may not know fully?
7. What do Joy and Lewis talk about? What does Joy ask Lewis?
8. What does Lewis' decision reveal about him and his feelings? How will this decision affect him and those around him?
9. What are the men talking about? How do their views differ?
10. How do the four men feel about Joy's condition and her improvement? How do they handle the news that Joy is improving?
Trace the development of Lewis and Joy's relationship in the play. How did the pair meet? What events led to them developing feelings for each other?
Describe the relationships between Douglas and Warnie and between Douglas and Lewis. What are these relationships like? How do the men feel about Douglas? How does Douglas feel about the men? How do the relationships change over the course of the play?
In the first scene of the play, Lewis describes what is meant by "Shadowlands." What definition does he give to this term? Why do you think the play is titled by this? What meaning does the play give us for what the Shadowlands are?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)