|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Joy shares a national award with whom?
2. Who is skeptical about Joy's intentions?
3. Who does Joy tell Lewis that he should check with about his plans?
4. Who does Lewis see that surprises him?
5. How does Joy respond to the insult?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lewis do after the party breaks up?
2. How are the vows recited in the scene? How does the scene keep the tenor of Lewis and Joy's relationship at this stage?
3. What do Joy and Lewis talk about? What does Joy tell Lewis that she warns him about ahead of time?
4. What does Lewis say about pain, suffering, and love? What benefit does he believe that suffering has?
5. How do Lewis and Warnie feel about Joy's impending visit to their home? Why is she coming?
6. What do Lewis and Warnie think before they meet Joy? How do Douglas and the adults react to the meeting?
7. What do Lewis and Joy discuss before she leaves? What does he ask her? What does Joy ask of Lewis?
8. What do Lewis and Joy make plans to do? What does Douglas do as they are getting ready to leave?
9. How do the four men feel about Joy's condition and her improvement? How do they handle the news that Joy is improving?
10. What does Lewis talk to Douglas about? On what topic does Lewis end the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationships between Douglas and Warnie and between Douglas and Lewis. What are these relationships like? How do the men feel about Douglas? How does Douglas feel about the men? How do the relationships change over the course of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of friendship in the play. What characteristics of friendship are presented? What negative aspects of friendship are presented? Who do you think best portrays friendship in the play? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Trace the development of Lewis and Joy's relationship in the play. How did the pair meet? What events led to them developing feelings for each other?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)